Cabeza Prieta Wilderness

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently visited the Cabeza Prieta Wilderness, also called the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge in southwest AZ. When entering from the west, you must first cross the Barry M. Goldwater Air Force Range. Early in the morning I came to a fork and asked for directions...

OOPS, it's only a manikin, erected by the troops, pointing the way!
DSC01325.JPG

There is an antelope herd here but I saw none this day.
DSC01301.JPG

I found many of these. I can't remember their name.... anyone?
DSC01305.JPG

And Cabeza Prieta Peak in the backround.
DSC01314.JPG

Getting close to sunset the first day.

And a beautiful sunset only God gives away..... FREE!
DSC01319.JPG ╦╦C

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome pics looks like paradise

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome pics looks like paradise
Yes! Paradise. VERY safe place to be, actually, considering how close to the border. Two jets screamed by only 100 feet above the desert to eyeball me. They tipped their wings to say "Hi". Many border patrols going by all day. And... several "lookout" cameras on tall poles manned by army personnel. This portion of the border is a pretty rough ground so border crossers don't try here too much. Several graves in the desert here. I found three. One was pretty popular with many coins all over it. Some of the graves are over a hundred years old, I am told. NOT a walk in the park here. ╦╦C

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don’t know if the rules have changed but in the early ‘90’s our group got passes to drive the whole length of the border fence track. No camping more than 20’ from the road, no campfires, various other restrictions. But what a wonderful trip.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome. Thanks for the great pics and vids. Spectacular sunset pic. Send us a sunrise if you have it.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be cool Id like to detect near Area 51 I still listen to coast to coast am and the Art Bell Vault

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t know if the rules have changed but in the early ‘90’s our group got passes to drive the whole length of the border fence track. No camping more than 20’ from the road, no campfires, various other restrictions. But what a wonderful trip.
Some more restrictions... ONLY 4x4 vehicles. Only foot or horseback off the Camino Del Diablo (Devil's road). Not even bicycles allowed. If you move a stone for your tent, you must replace the stone in its original spot when done. Yes! Vehicles not allowed more than 50 feet from the road. Camping is wide open, anywhere in the wilderness.... that's why I am walking in. Got a late start. Gear and water was more than 45 pounds! So didn't get far the first day. Nice petroglyphs! Camera pooped out the next day. Insidious dust here (powder-like) has destroyed second camera. Into a baggie from now on when in the desert. ALL the border patrol personnel were very professional, and courteous, making me feel safe. Brian, the NWR agent, showed me on a map where to find the glyphs. He also encouraged me to go armed. It was a fun two days. I learned I better do some "gym work" before attempting to carry in 45 pounds of STUFF next time, though. ╦╦C

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your item in the third photo is the seed pod to the Devils Claw plant.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe your item in the third photo is the seed pod to the Devils Claw plant.
Thanks for the help! They are everywhere in the CP Wilderness. ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pic of Cabeza Prieta Peak shows how aptly named the peak is. Cabeza Prieta means brown head in Spanish. ╦╦C

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, those are devil's claw seed pods. Lots in SW Oklahoma.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread