Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ain't nothing like a good piece of salmon!!

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally when I see a sea lion, it's trying to steal a fish off my line. There needs to be a forceful reduction in the Columbia, Willamette and Clackamas Rivers as fish runs are being wiped out. Love nature, but the fish need a chance to spawn.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that is one great FISH TALE! (tail?) Good shot, Viking! ╦╦C

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Generally when I see a sea lion, it's trying to steal a fish off my line. There needs to be a forceful reduction in the Columbia, Willamette and Clackamas Rivers as fish runs are being wiped out. Love nature, but the fish need a chance to spawn.

Funny there were always Sea Lions & Salmon. Plenty of both. Dams cut the spawn, drastically reducing the amount of salmon returning to sea. The the commercial fishermen took unlimited amounts for decades regardless of stock declines. Finally a few measures were put in place to curb overfishing. Native Americans are allowed to take all they want anytime. I'm sure the sea lions are eating fish and it is a problem. They (sea lions) did find out that a dam conveniently crowds fish at the fish ladders making for easy pickings. None of these issues are the fault of nature but everyone wants to kill the sea lions. How about blowing the dams? Stopping commercial fishing for 5-10 years. Yeah that's what I thought. Put a dollar sign on a wild animal, kiss it goodbye.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well we can't blow the dams, but we could have better fish ladders, and spill more water when smolt are going down river. Spill more water in summer to keep spawning beds covered. 5 year moratorium - great! The Cod fishery in Arctic waters has been suspended starting this year to rebuild the stocks, with Northern nations signing on. If we can restrict logging for a spotted owl, or pay farmers for fallowing their fields, we could help the fishing industry get through a closure, for better fishing in future, something they could hand down to future generations.

There has been many attempts of non lethal ways to discourage pinnipeds from massing at dams and locks, starting years ago at Ballard locks. down to using a remote control Killer Whale. None has had any real success, sadly.

Trap and relocate - nope, it took 2 Tagged Sea Lions about 10 days to show up again at Bonneville Dam after being taken to California.

Speaking of Bonneville dam - the pinnipeds don't just follow the Salmon run and leave - the Sturgeon are under attack year round.

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/bill_monroe/2011/01/sturgeon_loss_to_sea_lions_und.html

30+ years of the Marine Mammal Protection at has raised the population of Pinnipeds expediently. Some species are taken off the list, some still on.

But we also have endangered runs of Salmon that we need to protect. Estimated 40% of the upriver Spring Chinook are taken by Pinnipeds before they reach the Dallas dam last year.

I'm hoping for balance in our industrialized world, where future generations can catch a salmon and see ocean wildlife.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Salmon sounds good right now too bad they taste so good every one wants em for lunch lol

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, those sea lions. SamishRiverFishing_Mark Malijan.jpg puyallup 1.jpg

puyallup 2.jpg puyallup 3.jpg

Edit...The Puyallup, and Samish Rivers, in Western Washington, during salmon runs.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yea, human hog-lines - funny as heck when someone get a shaker on and wraps 10 other lines. :) Bring a beer and enjoy the show!

I understand the comparison you've made and as I've said I want to preserve endangered runs, and their unique genetics such as the upriver brights. I don't know the sport fishing regs for every area, but the systems I fish only allow hatchery marked fish to be taken, paid for by licencing and tags.

The commercial and tribal fisheries should ban gill nets which do not discriminate native fish from hatchery and go to a hook system that allows live release of natives if there is no closures to fishing to rebuild the runs.

We built the dams and it's caused a problem for the fish. Money interests hurt the fish more. Pinnipeds are taking advantage of our errors. We're bringing the Pinnipeds back due to the marine mammal protection act - lets help the fish too!

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is a way to fix it. Problem is they don't ask the right people or at least do not follow their advice. I would not have an issue culling sea lions but only after everyone else is willing to do something to help the problem. Molewackers suggestions sound reasonable and easily implemented, that is until special interest or politicians get involved. BTW, I have a great Salmon recipe for the grill!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great picture OV!

Also great pictures and comment Kray!

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a way to fix it. Problem is they don't ask the right people or at least do not follow their advice. I would not have an issue culling sea lions but only after everyone else is willing to do something to help the problem. Molewackers suggestions sound reasonable and easily implemented, that is until special interest or politicians get involved. BTW, I have a great Salmon recipe for the grill!

Yea, water for irrigation/power vs smolt runs and spawning beds has been a long running battle as a example of special interest involvement. :(

On the bright side! There is several old smaller dams being considered for removal I believe on the Sandy and Clackamas rivers to enhance fish movement. Just can't blow them up as years of silt build up, so funding. But every little bit helps!

BTW - trade my sugar smoked salmon belly strips recipe for your grill voodoo! :)

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yea, water for irrigation/power vs smolt runs and spawning beds has been a long running battle as a example of special interest involvement. :(

On the bright side! There is several old smaller dams being considered for removal I believe on the Sandy and Clackamas rivers to enhance fish movement. Just can't blow them up as years of silt build up, so funding. But every little bit helps!

BTW - trade my sugar smoked salmon belly strips recipe for your grill voodoo! :)
1st chance I get I'll send it to you. Easy peasy cooking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread