tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Moab, Utah for the night, but took the scenic Hwy 128 slow road off I70 from the ghost town of Cisco that follows much of the Colorado river in Utah. It's so far been a pretty pleasant drive condition road-wise and Moab is pretty darn quiet this time of the year which is rather nice. Weather ain't all that shabby either.

Attachments

• 20200218_164915.jpg
    20200218_164915.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200218_164756.jpg
    20200218_164756.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200218_164818.jpg
    20200218_164818.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 70

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great drive. Been on that road quite a bit, and camped along the river a few times.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great drive. Been on that road quite a bit, and camped along the river a few times.
Campsites were pretty vacant this day and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be a great idea for camping the area on a day like today with a warm radiant sunshine coming down on me. The weather pretty nice over this way. Perfect time of the year for a little trip to Moab IMO. When I got up and going Monday on the front range I saw on the news what a mess it was on I70, so I took the southern route through South Park. It was drifting snow blowing around Jefferson, but after Alma the roads were high and dry all the way to Montrose. Heck even Monarch was clear of snow. Now all I gotta do is get back and hopefully the roads will stay like they were. No fun on the snowy road like it was long ago before all this incredible increase in traffic to the slopes.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice photos, use to go in at Dewey Bridge and camp out there and do a little panning.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What, and no snow? Lucky You! In the lower right hand corner of the last photo there appears to be some sort of square rock with a flat rock on top. At first I thought it was a small building, but not sure. Maybe something to check out?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What, and no snow? Lucky You! In the lower right hand corner of the last photo there appears to be some sort of square rock with a flat rock on top. At first I thought it was a small building, but not sure. Maybe something to check out?
Yeah it does look like someone put a slab on top of it. This place is absolutely packed with tourist in the summer, so more than likely someone felt the need to cap a square rock with another.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guys are in God's Country!! :icon_thumright:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics I love driving long distances 17 Flagstaff is awesome also. Thanks for sharing those have fun

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing looking scenes! I'm going to definitely plan a trip to Utah.
If you do, don't rule out the off season when most of the tourists are gone. It's cold at night, but the sun most days on the Plateau really warms things up during the day. Even if you do get a snow storm the beauty of it in that country is spectacular and something many who venture there miss to see, because they all go during the height of the season.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't even think of visiting Arches or Canyonlands after Memorial Day. We usually camp at a BLM campground north of Moab. Toilets but no electric or water.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in Moab, Utah for the night, but took the scenic Hwy 128 slow road off I70 from the ghost town of Cisco that follows much of the Colorado river in Utah. It's so far been a pretty pleasant drive condition road-wise and Moab is pretty darn quiet this time of the year which is rather nice. Weather ain't all that shabby either.
People from all over the world ... spend thousands to see what you have ... in your back yard! And to think so many locals are driving past such scenery and hardly know it exists. Keep 'em coming! Tnx. ╦╦C

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People from all over the world ... spend thousands to see what you have ... in your back yard! And to think so many locals are driving past such scenery and hardly know it exists. Keep 'em coming! Tnx. ╦╦C
Most days anymore you just can't admire the scenery because you need to keep your eyes front so you don't end up in a rear end collision in this bumper to bumper stop and go traffic we have now days. Still it ain't so bad in the off season if you don't have one of those most devastating to the beauty and natural environment frickin ski towns in the area. The impact from those goes all year long with all the building and traffic it requires to operate those places. It's pretty ironic how it was the folks who frequent those places would point the finger at the mining communities and say see what they do to the beauty of it all. Heck those mining towns couldn't hold a candle to what they did with all the knocking down of trees, erecting ziplines and building more and more condos for all the good folks to enjoy.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most days anymore you just can't admire the scenery because you need to keep your eyes front so you don't end up in a rear end collision in this bumper to bumper stop and go traffic we have now days. Still it ain't so bad in the off season if you don't have one of those most devastating to the beauty and natural environment frickin ski towns in the area. The impact from those goes all year long with all the building and traffic it requires to operate those places. It's pretty ironic how it was the folks who frequent those places would point the finger at the mining communities and say see what they do to the beauty of it all. Heck those mining towns couldn't hold a candle to what they did with all the knocking down of trees, erecting ziplines and building more and more condos for all the good folks to enjoy.

Let us not forget that Moab was built on Uranium mining that's how it got it start they would not even think of opening that type or any other mining now in that area.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very well put! Very well put. John Denver (RIP) called out those that put "more people, more scars upon the land". ╦╦C

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can see snow in the last pic. Up high and a little in the shadows. Prescott AZ has snow right now... mostly in the shadows. The mountainous hwy 89, approaching P from Yarnell here, goes up over 6000 feet before dropping back down to P. Lots of snow up there. ╦╦C

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the 'off-season' tamrock refers to, or mud season and shoulder season, gets shorter every year. They are masters of promotion here in the resort areas. Still, I'm happy when somebody like me from the Southern Plains sees the mountains for the first time.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see snow in the last pic. Up high and a little in the shadows. Prescott AZ has snow right now... mostly in the shadows. The mountainous hwy 89, approaching P from Yarnell here, goes up over 6000 feet before dropping back down to P. Lots of snow up there. ╦╦C
I headed up to a mine in Caribou, Colorado today and there's plenty white stuff up there, plus it was colder than a witches you know what. Sure wasn't anything like it was in eastern Utah just last week.

Attachments

• 20200225_122014.jpg
    20200225_122014.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 76

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I headed up to a mine in Caribou, Colorado today and there's plenty white stuff up there, plus it was colder than a witches you know what. Sure wasn't anything like it was in eastern Utah just last week.
Do they heat the portal with anything or just push thru it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread