Rockhounding near the Mexican border.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday, I headed to the Coronado National Forest to look for geodes.
Using this Neil Bearce publication
Bearce.JPG
I headed to Site 58.

The Coronado is considered semi-arid but I found MUCH water.

A BEAUTIFUL place with beautiful scenery!

Can you see the whitetail deer in the center of the pic?
deer.JPG

A high clearance vehicle is needed but 4x4 is NOT.

There are THOUSANDS of geodes to be collected but all are encased in rhyolite. OUCH!
many.JPG

This one is about 4 inches across.... I did not bring a hammer and chisel. (groan!)
geode.JPG

I also found some FANTASTIC banded agate!
banded.JPG Banded 1.JPG banded 2.JPG

I did find some broken pieces
broken.JPG

I saw at LEAST 15 pickups with the BIG GREEN STRIPE on them so this area of the Mexican/Arizona border is well patrolled. Take a hammer and chisel with you and a goodly amount of elbow grease and collect as many geodes (and agate) as you can carry! Go for it! ╦╦C

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
╦╦C

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great time in a cool place Terry, thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A VERY scenic place. Wide open between mountain ridges. Several CBP trucks on the ridges watching expansive valleys between. One other couple was rockhounding with two children. They had a few geodes that they found up the hillside from the creek. I was not prepared for the climb. Also in the area is supposed to be an obsidian dyke. I did not go far enough down the canyon to reach it. I would highly recommend this site(58) to anyone looking for geodes! ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
╦╦C

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 1990s I drove a 1993 Chevy Lumina Euro, which was a company car up to an underground copper mine called Oracle Ridge up on Mount Lemmon. Beat the hell out of that car getting up there. My visit was about collecting some unpaid invoices. The mine finally filed bankruptcy and they split town leaving a lot of suppliers holding the bag. When I got back down the hill the oil light came on. Getting out to check the situation I see a small thin trail of oil behind me. I had a couple quarts of oil to add and found a fella in Tucson who was able to drain all the oil and successfully braze weld the hole shut in the oil pan without even removing the pan. I think I paid a $100 bucks cash for the job because he didn't take plastic.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the 1990s I drove a 1993 Chevy Lumina Euro, which was a company car up to an underground copper mine called Oracle Ridge up on Mount Lemmon. Beat the hell out of that car getting up there. My visit was about collecting some unpaid invoices. The mine finally filed bankruptcy and they split town leaving a lot of suppliers holding the bag. When I got back down the hill the oil light came on. Getting out to check the situation I see a small thin trail of oil behind me. I had a couple quarts of oil to add and found a fella in Tucson who was able to drain all the oil and successfully braze weld the hole shut in the oil pan without even removing the pan. I think I paid a $100 bucks cash for the job because he didn't take plastic.
When you come down the SW side of Mt. Lemmon, there is a bubbling creek that crosses the gravel road near the bottm of the grade. Good, clean water there. Nice and cold! Snow up on Lemmon right now. Thanks for the input, friend. ╦╦C

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful country!
I was going to tell the OP, "ya know you gotta be carful around border areas..."
Then I seen it was you, lol.
I know, you know, what you're doing. :notworthy:

You mean a tire tool wouldn't pop you out some of them geodes? :icon_scratch:
You gotta throw some tools down in that wheel well buddy... :laughing7:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's awsome...I wanna go there !!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful country!
I was going to tell the OP, "ya know you gotta be carful around border areas..."
Then I seen it was you, lol.
I know, you know, what you're doing. :notworthy:

You mean a tire tool wouldn't pop you out some of them geodes? :icon_scratch:
You gotta throw some tools down in that wheel well buddy... :laughing7:
Yes, I know how to take care of myself. The great part of being in Arizona is most actors on screen would be UNDERGUNNED here! I had a 4 pound hammer and chisel back at the Jeep but too tired to go back to get it. I will be back here OFTEN! They will patiently wait in the rock 'til my return. Good to hear from you, Pat! ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are oh so right....got to be like the Nike commercial and "just do it"

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rugged yet awe-inspiring landscapes.
CNF 1.JPG CNF 2.JPG CNF 3.JPG ╦╦C

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me wish I was in Az still those are really cool would be fun to look for. Nice post

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Yesterday, I headed to the Coronado National Forest to look for geodes.
Using this Neil Bearce publication
View attachment 1804056
I headed to Site 58.

The Coronado is considered semi-arid but I found MUCH water.

A BEAUTIFUL place with beautiful scenery!

Can you see the whitetail deer in the center of the pic?
View attachment 1804060

A high clearance vehicle is needed but 4x4 is NOT.

There are THOUSANDS of geodes to be collected but all are encased in rhyolite. OUCH!
View attachment 1804062

This one is about 4 inches across.... I did not bring a hammer and chisel. (groan!)
View attachment 1804064

I also found some FANTASTIC banded agate!
View attachment 1804066 View attachment 1804067 View attachment 1804068

I did find some broken pieces
View attachment 1804072

I saw at LEAST 15 pickups with the BIG GREEN STRIPE on them so this area of the Mexican/Arizona border is well patrolled. Take a hammer and chisel with you and a goodly amount of elbow grease and collect as many geodes (and agate) as you can carry! Go for it! ╦╦C

that second picture up from the bottom on the left looks like the last beef sandwich i ate. make mine xtra juicy. mmmmmmmmmmmmm ! happy searching

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread