Got me a copperhead

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While mowing my elderly neighbors yard I inadvertently weed-whacked this guy almost in half. Before I finished it off to put it out of its misery I looked it up and discovered it was a young copperhead.
Felt better about ending him after that as my neighbor is deathly afraid of snakes and she doesn't get around very quickly.

20200515_161924.jpg

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a copperhead but it very well could of been on. I think that may be some kind of garter snake.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope - snake was harmless. Copperheads have a more distinct pattern on them.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to be on a Mobile Home set up crew in AZ talk about snakes and every other critter known to man Im not a snake fan myself.....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope, not a copperhead.

I've first hand (or knee) knowledge. Was popped by one when I was 12.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a shame to see a harmless rodent eating snake killed. As stated above that is not a copperhead pattern and it has an oval head while all poisonous pit vipers in this country have very triangular heads. Doesn't matter if some folks are afraid of snakes, the one killed here was a beneficial snake to have around.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was always taught to evaluate if the snake has a stubby tail and appears to be a little over weight for its length then take a close second look. Non poisonous snakes have a long skinny sharp pointed tails. Most pit vipers have a stubby nose and a wide head. Anyway use caution when approaching, we had a cobra loose in my area several years back that escaped his keepers tank but he was found and returned to his proper place.

North American brown snakes are widely distributed. They are common throughout the eastern half of the United States, though they do not venture into high elevations. They are also found in Southern Canada and northern Mexico, according to the University of Michigan’s Animal Diversity Web (ADW).

Brown snakes are sometimes referred to as “city snakes” because they thrive in residential areas. According to the Savannah River Ecology Laboratory, they are often the most common snakes found in urban areas. They spend time under urban debris — trash piles, construction materials, etc. — and other forms of ground cover, such as loose stones and flat rocks. When not in the city, brown snakes live in forests, scrub forests and marshes. Brown snakes are fairly abundant because of their ability to live in a wide variety of habitats.

Last edited:

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't kill any snake on purpose but I believe GopherDaGold deserves a break. He said that he cut the snake with his weed eater, probably not seeing it in time. I have run over snakes with my riding lawn mower so I understand how something like this could have happened.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont kill them either just dont like them most likely because Im not sure which ones are deadly and which are not

OP
OP
GopherDaGold

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a shame to see a harmless rodent eating snake killed. As stated above that is not a copperhead pattern and it has an oval head while all poisonous pit vipers in this country have very triangular heads. Doesn't matter if some folks are afraid of snakes, the one killed here was a beneficial snake to have around.

Not afraid myself.
Also, the snake got weed-whacked almost in half before I realized it was there.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20190523_093912.jpg I caught this black snake in the hen house , or should I say he caught me. bit the crap out of my hand with me laughing the whole time.
I caught and relocated 6 last year to the back of the property. I know they eat the mice but they eat lots of eggs too!

this spring I've only seen one and it was on the bluff sunning it's self on a 36* morning.

Last edited:

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1834168 I caught this black snake in the hen house , or should I say he caught me. bit the crap out of my hand with me laughing the whole time.
I caught and relocated 6 last year to the back of the property. I know they eat the mice but they eat lots of eggs too!

this spring I've only seen one and it was on the bluff sunning it's self on a 36* morning.

Nice one! I saw a big rat snake sitting in a tree one day when i was hiking here in Ohio. It was the first time I have ever seen a snake in a tree and he was sitting right on top of a goider... I poked at him once or twice and then he slithered on down in a hole in the tree. Haven't seen too many snakes other than that yet though.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a copperhead that I relocated about two years ago. It was in my daylily bed and I came about a foot from it as I was on my hands and knees weeding. It never offered to strike so I got my pitch fork and gently eased it to the woods next to my property.

Attachments

• Copperhead 1.jpg
    Copperhead 1.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Copperhead 3.jpg
    Copperhead 3.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Copperhead 2.jpg
    Copperhead 2.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 45

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to work on a Christmas tree farm and we mowed the rows between the trees. Lots of hawthorn bushes about 5-6 feet high. Saw a lot of black snakes and many times they were up in the hawthorn bushes at about 4 feet high. Walking an old rotary Gravely mower, that puts your head at the same height. Always got the crap scared out of me when I'd turn my head and be face to face with a big ole black snake.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When we first built the house we now live in there was a big black snake that layed out on the driveway in the evenings. My wife finally told me to get rid of it so I moved it out back. When we would burn the limb pile the snake would crawl up in a small bush between us and enjoy the fire.

Edmundruffin

Aug 17, 2010
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone
One of my earliest childhood memories of a snake was going to grandmothers hen house to get eggs and seeing black snake - then called chicken snake- in one of the boxes eating an egg. The egg was past the snakes mouth and a few inched down the body. The snake coiled up in a ball and broke the egg. It the started to craw backward and puked out the egg shell. I ran to paw paw and told him to get his gun because a snake was in the hen house. He told me not to worry, the only reason "Eddie" was eating an egg is because he had ran out of mice around the house. Years later I ask grandmother why paw paw called the snake Eddie, she said he named him after your uncle Eddie. He was a sorry low down snake in the grass. Needless to say I was scared of the hen house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread