Got Dinner

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
The wife and i woke up this morning to a nice 58 degree day. We have a handle on most of the remodeling of our new home and its suppose to rain for the 5 days. But this time of year and on the Oregon caost that could turn into the next 5 months.

We decided after being here foe a little over 2-1/2 months it was time for us to get out and do some crabbing. I loading up the poles and crab trap, grabbed a package of chicken legs and a couple lawn chairs and we headed out.

We planned on staying out for a few hours but the winds picked up, clouds moved in and it dropped about 15 degrees in two hours. With these babies in out bucket we decided that we were lucky enough and headed home to clean them. My wife lost a huge one right at the edge of the water that had to be 2-3" across bigger then these.

Attachments

• 2 big ones.jpg
    2 big ones.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 305
  • 5 crabs.jpg
    5 crabs.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 312

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
uummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm miss those sweet dungeness crabs, crabbed alot when I lived on the coast in Bandon/Coos Bay

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
we have blue crabs out east. fishing for them has been tough the last couple of years though, i think there are just too many people fishing for them anymore. i remember when i was a kid an afternoon of crabbing would get you an easy bushel or more. now you are lucky to get a dozen. :'( those crabs you have there would be monsters around here! ;)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I coming for dinner. ;D ;D We don't have those kind down here, but a local fish market gets them and boils them up with crab boil. Talk about some darn good eating...mmmmmmm!! ;D

;) RR

OP
OP
tinkb

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Here in Oregon its males only and they only have to be 5-3/4" across. I know Washington and California keepers have to be a little larger. The measuring tool we use have all three states on it.

When we lives down here 4 years ago we had days when we would haul in 300-400 crabs with all being females but a few. Infact one day there were females piled on top of each other as far as you could see. There were literally 10s of thousands of them.

I heard that in 1998, I believe, there were so many females they permitted them to be kept. We have never eaten any females but the local sportsmen say they all taste the same. And believe me the female get huge too.

Here they are all cooked and ready to start cleaning ans eating. The are sitting on a 18" oval plater. The single one measures just over 7-1/2" across so you can imagine what a 9-12" looks like. Bigeest one we have caught was 9" across and the legs measures 22" tip to tip. Largest one ever caught here by a single crabber was a 13 year old and it's shell measured over 13".

Right now crabs are going for between $8-9 a pound. these average about 1-1/2 -2 pounds each. Thats a nice savings of about $60-90 caughting them yourself. In the resturants a whole crab dinner runs between $30-40 in most places. Looking at it that way, we caught about $200 worth of meal.

Attachments

• 5 Cooked.jpg
    5 Cooked.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 285
  • 1 cooked.jpg
    1 cooked.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 275

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Here its early morning for me and right now I could eat 4 of those yummy critters for breakfast.

Good catch tinkb

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's some good eat'n right there

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hade crabs once but they werrent that big thank god...LOL

Just kidding i live in depoe bay its been slow here for crab as well but the LingCod or here,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread