Monarch
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree31Likes
  • 15 Post By ToddsPoint
  • 4 Post By glass half fool
  • 4 Post By tamrock
  • 1 Post By ToddsPoint
  • 1 Post By ANTIQUARIAN
  • 4 Post By No gold in NY
  • 1 Post By glass half fool
  • 1 Post By No gold in NY

Thread: Monarch

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    5284 times
    Metal Detecting

Monarch

I tried to get a good pic of this Monarch but he wouldn't co-operate. Couldn't get him with his wings spread all the way. My wife's zinnia patch is a magnet for butterflies. Gary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08089.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	1861535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08091.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	1861536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08090.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	1861537

us
    Jul 2017
    North of the Mason Dixon line
    White 5900DiPro
    1383 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Nice shots Butteries and zinnias are always a great combination .I plant a large amount of zinnias each year . They are easy to get started grow quickly and bloom for a long time. They are colorful and attach many different butterflies And to go with all that in the fall I pull the dried heads off and clean the seed from them and plant it the next year

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    21469 times
    Those are good shots. They don't sit still very long and butterflies always seem to stop spreading their wings when you point a camera lens at them. Or at least to me they do.

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    5284 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by glass half fool View Post
    Nice shots Butteries and zinnias are always a great combination .I plant a large amount of zinnias each year . They are easy to get started grow quickly and bloom for a long time. They are colorful and attach many different butterflies And to go with all that in the fall I pull the dried heads off and clean the seed from them and plant it the next year
    We save the seeds each year too. We'll start dead heading these pretty soon. Gary
    Kray Gelder likes this.

Charter Member
    ca
    Detect everyday like it's the last day of the season!

Apr 2010
    Upper Canada
    XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
    15776 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Beautiful pics Gary.

I remember when I was a kid, we always tried to catch them by grabbing them gently behind their wings.
    I now know it wasn't a nice thing to do, but I was a stupid kid back then... who grew up to be a stupid adult.

“Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne
    ToddsPoint likes this.
    Antiquarian - a person who collects and studies antiquities or relics of the past.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    “Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
    “Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.”
    ― John Wayne

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 2186 Wheaties
    2442 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    Consider yourself lucky to get close enough for a photo. I have been raising Monarchs. I collect the caterpillars wherever I can before predators get them or the chrysalis. So far this season I have released 9 Monarchs. 5 males and 3 females. One was undetermined.
    I use a small stick to transfer them to the flowers outside. At that time they always open and hold their wings fully. Perhaps still drying them. Great photo op at that time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monarch.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	1862735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monarch2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	1862752
    Last edited by No gold in NY; Sep 11, 2020 at 05:47 AM.

us
    Jul 2017
    North of the Mason Dixon line
    White 5900DiPro
    1383 times
    No Gold That is very interesting information . How long does it take from the time you collect them as caterpillars until they hatch as butterflies Do you have any additional info An organization I do some volunteer work with is partenering with a group of 4th,5th and 6th grade students on a project involving wildflowers and pollinators . If we could get the kids into raising butterflies we could include sas part of our project Thanks
    No gold in NY likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
    34949 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Nice photo! Sadly, I've seen none around my house this season. Usually, I have many since my gardens attract them eavry year.

us
    Mar 2015
    Whites Coin Master, Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport High banker/dredge, DIY hand trommel, DIY Miller table, DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice, Keene A-52 A-52s 2186 Wheaties
    2442 times
    prospecting, metal detecting
    glass half fool...
    The process from egg to butterfly is weather dependent and also depends on the regional climate. It can take about four weeks in the peak of the summer in warmer climates. The egg takes 5 to 10 days, the larva/caterpillar and pupa/chrysalis each take about 10 to 14 days.
    For me it depends on how big the caterpillar is when I find it. Sometimes they are only a quarter of an inch long and sometimes as big as my pinky finger. When they are big and fat, they attach to the top of the terrarium and hang upside down forming a J shape. The process from caterpillar to chrysalis is very interesting to watch. I have never witnessed the butterfly exit the chrysalis, but have seen the wings unfold and inflate. I think inflate is the correct term. The whole process is an amazing thing to see. And there are predators at each stage. So far this season I have released 14 and have 5 chrysalis, 3 J's, 1 looking for a spot to J, 4 caterpillars still feeding.
    glass half fool likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Tommy

Dec 2015
    Ann Arbor
    Equinox 800
    42106 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Great pics used to see them alot when I was a kid but hardly ever anymore Thanks for the cool pics
    Still Available Approved TreasureNet Sticker $2.00 for 11" X 3" Bumper Sticker ::. I have 34 left PM me if you would like to buy any Tommy.................... Put it on my Trans Am FREE SHIPPING Street Racing My Trans Am W/Tnet Stick

Sponsored Links