Bear patrol
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Bear patrol

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    8174 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Bear patrol

A sow black bear and her cub have been having a field day with the dumpsters in our block, I'm tired of cleaning it up, so I waited up for them last night. I'm just going to maybe get a pic, make a lot of noise and throw rocks to let them know this is not a welcome area. Nothin happened but when I came out at 5a.m. there they were, getting ready to start on the dumpster across the street. I spent the next hour and a half trying to herd them to the creek a block north. They kept coming back in. They're not very dangerous, but at one point they went off into some brush on the side of the road. It was pretty dark and I couldn't tell how close they were, but then the mama bear stood up looking at me about 25 feet away. Then I heard her teeth popping, some huffing and puffing, and here she come. It was a bluff charge and she pulled up about 15 feet away and jumped on a tree trunk, growling at me. Stood my ground, gave her some space and finally got them out of the neighborhood. They did manage to get the overhead door open on an enclosure about 2 blocks down and drag a dumpster out, where they hit the jackpot. No clean up in our block today though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9-18aa.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	1864554   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9-18bb.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	1864555  
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Sep 2012
    STATEN ISLAND NY
    ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater. Macro Multi Kruzer
    1147 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    "stood up looking at me about 25 feet away. Then I heard her teeth popping, some huffing and puffing, and here she come. It was a bluff charge and she pulled up about 15 feet away" Strange, the same thing happened to me on a beach while detecting and I got too close to another detectorist.

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2017
    Fontana, California
    NA
    834 times
    Prospecting
    Get a good can of Bear spray. The range on most are 30ft, good luck be safe.

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    8174 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Not too worried about them Mine Shaft. My goal is to make them believe crazy people live in this block so stay away. I'll douse our dumpster with ammonia and Waste Management is going to bring in some bear resistant models for this area. That charge was my fault cause I got too close and made her nervous.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    4441 times
    I had the same problem. I'd hear them by the dumpster (metal one) in the middle of the night and I'd get up and shoot a roman candle at them from my porch. They'd run like hell but come back later when I was in a deeper sleep and knock it over. Several times with the fireworks did not deter them at all. Regarding danger, my sister and bro in law are wild life biologists in AK who take undergrads out (way out) into the wilderness and they have to take and give bear training every year. They are taught that the black bears are more dangerous than the brown bears simply because the black bears are considered more unpredictable in their behavior. I kept my old Springfield trapdoor 45-70 near the door just in case when I went out to yell at them. They never came towards me but the rifle made me feel more confident, especially when mama came by with a couple of cubs.
    RGINN and ArfieBoy like this.
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    2978 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I wonder if you could fill balloons with Ammonia and place them in the dumpster , then smear some bacon grease on them . A big surprise when they bite down on the balloons.
    PetesPockets55, ArfieBoy and RGINN like this.

Dec 2003
    Porter Township, Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    40829 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    not sure why people fear bears

They get pretty curious around my house, too! I like seeing these fuzzy critters!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.48.26 PM.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	1864680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 8.48.53 PM.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	1864681  
    “It is best as one grows older to strip oneself of possessions, to shed oneself downward like a tree, to be almost wholly earth before one dies.”

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    21469 times
    You gettum rginn.
    PetesPockets55, ArfieBoy and RGINN like this.

us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    5284 times
    Metal Detecting
    I don't have any bears but I live in the country and can tell you critters will run you over if you let them. Gary
    ArfieBoy and RGINN like this.

us
    Treasure every day!

Aug 2005
    Beautiful Florida
    2647 times
    Relic Hunting
    Here in Florida people are moving into bear habitat & encounter them more and more. They just want food & are in the garbage cans making a mess. Eventually the people get bear proof cans. They stopped bear hunting here awhile back and there are more but still not common.
    ArfieBoy, RGINN and ticndig like this.
    Don't believe anything you hear and only 1/2 of what you see!

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    8174 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Well, we now apparently have Papa bear in the neighborhood, but none of them have come back to my dumpster. Idea we had ticndig is we take and rub bacon grease all over the dumpster, the one about 4 blocks away. And it gets my attention that this is the most bear activity we've had in town here in several years. I don't think their population has exploded, but the food situation in the woods must be pretty bad.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Apr 2009
    Cumberland Va
    T-2-SE
    2978 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    they do love that bacon grease .

Charter Member
    us
    papa

Feb 2017
    Georgetown, SC
    Fisher F75
    10239 times
    Metal Detecting
    Bears are cool. Powerful fight or flight instincts. But they are smart, fun animals to watch, unless they're doing what RGINN is dealing with. Back in 1971, sorry, bear with me. Get it? Anyway, I was 17, my Sis was 15, and my Mom and Dad decided to buy 15 acres of forested land on the south slope of Baldy Mountain, North Idaho, surrounded by newly minted unsold parcels, in the middle of a section of such lots, butted up against State Forest to the north. Hunter's Paradise, right? Well, it was. Deer, bear, snowshoe and cottontail wabbits, and tons of grouse, ruffed, spruce, and blue.

Black bear were numerous, and were around , stone's throw, while we built our small 1 1/2 story house that summer. Dad went to work for the County that fall, and one evening he got home after dark, which was normal. He parked about 20 yards from the house, and started the short walk in the dark, as usual. He heard Skippy, our Australian Blue Heeler, jump up from his lookout spot at the head of the drive, and trot up from behind to join him. The dog rubbed up against Dad's leg, so he bent down and scratched it behind the ears. When he walked in, there was Skippy, laying by the woodstove. Long story short, it was a 2 or 3 year old black bear that got the scratch.
    Last edited by Kray Gelder; Sep 22, 2020 at 11:47 PM.
    newnan man and RGINN like this.

"And so the population was gradually led into the demoralising temptations of arcades, baths, and sumptuous banquets. The unsuspecting Britons spoke of such novelties as 'civilisation', when in fact they were only a feature of their enslavement." Tacitus, Roman Senator and Historian, written AD 98.

The Bald Eagle photo...he/she posed for me, gave me it's best American look. I felt privileged to get the shot.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
    34949 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    An unwanted guest!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links