Fall,,, in more ways than one...

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello all,,,
I know it's fall and all, but it's supposed to be just the leaves, isn't it?
Some high winds came through the other morn'n and took out one of my neighbors trees. It caused a little damage to my shed and did a number on my old boats... It also took out the weather head and meter bases for the electric to the house, which ended up costing us a little over $1500.oo bucks
Tree.jpg

My boats weren't new, but they were seaworthy, or should I say river & lake worthy... The fiberglass canoe is shatter all the way up the side, and it bent the top rail pretty good on my 12' aluminum.
Boats.jpg

The worst part is my neighbors insurance company is trying to say it was an act of God and doesn't want to pay anything... Any lawyers out here with some free advise... ;D

Fall as it was meant to be...
Took this shot last week. It was a beautiful day in the upper 60's...
Greenway.jpg

Hope your fall is going a little better than mine... ;D
Have a great day,,, Leon...

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What if a Tree falls on my house?
By Mark Sammarone (Licensed Agent/Broker)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A. If a tree falls on my house, garage, fence or shed, do I have coverage under my homeowner insurance?

You are covered to remove the tree from the structure(s). You are also covered for the damage the tree causes to the structure.
You are limited to only removal from the structures. Not to clean up the entire tree.
B. If a tree falls on my neighbors house, garage, fence or shed, do I have coverage?

Your neighbor's homeowner insurance policy should cover him for the damage if it is the result of an act of God. The fact that it is your tree is not relevant when the cause of loss is an act of God.
The tree damage would be covered on your homeowner insurance policy only if you are in some way negligent. (i.e. You knew the tree was dead and you did not have it removed. You failed to maintain the tree by removing dead branches. You started to cut through the trunk, went to have lunch, and the tree fell down.)
C. If the tree falls in my yard, not hitting anything, do I have coverage?

You are not covered if the tree falls due to windstorm unless it lands on a "structure" (see above).
It is covered, however, when it falls and does not land on a structure, if the the damage is due to one of the following covered causes of loss: Fire, Lightning, Explosion, Riot or Civil Commotion, Vehicle (not owned by the insured), Aircraft, Vandalism or Malicious Mischief, or Theft.
*** Even though a lost tree may not be covered, it may be possible to take a deduction on your federal income tax for the loss & depreciation of the property.

http://home.ccil.org/~insure/tree.html

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
The information above is pretty much correct as I know it. The guy next doors tree fell on my house doing about 7 hundred dollars worth of damage. His company paid because I had warned him he needed to take it down and he failed to do so. If it had been a live tree then my insurance would have had to pay. He wasn't to happy with me said it would raise his insurance cost. His problem not mine.
Good luck with it!
Van

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'OUCH', glad no one was injured.

Fossis.................

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks all,,, and thankyou for the info gypsyheart...

If I'm reading that right, although they did know the tree needed to come down, as we were just talking about it over the summer and nothing was done about it, I have no proof of that... So, I guess we're "S.O.L." unless we want to put it on our Homeowners... In which case they will either raise our rates, or cancel our policy afterwards...

After our own big tree ripped the power from the house ,( twice ), we finally had it cut down and I thought I was done with all of this... Looks like I'm tattoo'ed again... ;D

Thanks again all,,,
Have a great day, Leon...

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Damn, Leon....
that sucks :(
Nothing worse than having to do the same home repairs....over....and over :(
arrrrrghhhh!
Great fall color shot; tho :)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops...what can I say? Glad no one was injured or worser damage.

;) RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread