tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snapped this shot as I approached the summit of Monarch Pass yesterday. I was gonna take I 70 to my destination, but it was too wet and sloppy and a constant need for window washing fluid. You don't need the fluid so much on the roads with cold packed snow. I did see a few vehicles pulled off on 70 throwing snow on their windshield because they were out of window fluid. I know the feeling, as I've been unprepared with that issue before.

Attachments

• 20201229_200511.jpg
    20201229_200511.jpg
    912.2 KB · Views: 65

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning, I really enjoy riding along with you. Between being froze down and than drug back and forth across a cracked windshield, I seem to always have one wiper that is torn up and leaves only streaks, at best.
We ended up with about 6 inches of snow yesterday, on the North and West of buildings there is none and on south and east it’s atleast a foot deep.
Have a great day.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice pic, Grant! Back in the winter of '73-'74 we were building pre-fab condos at Crested Butte. The modules were 10' wide x 60' long. They were built at a plant at Lafayette which we had built the summer before. They had to haul those modules over Monarch in Decermber and January. It was a real chore getting that done. Your pic brought back those memories of earlier days. :-)
Jim

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
E6C47FE9-3063-4E35-BE94-45AA9BB19FCE.jpeg
Going in I was going to take pics on way in but had to hammer down cause I hate getting stuck. Than my smart machine went dead so this is it.
Notice broke glass...

Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice photo, Tamrock! Been over Monarch Pass several times on my bike (in the summer). Good Shot! IMG_8900.JPG Picture is of my wife and I and the summit in 2015!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I returned home tonight and went back over monarch and it was high and dry clear to the top. Amazing what that high elevation sun can do on a cloudless sunny day.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1889765
Going in I was going to take pics on way in but had to hammer down cause I hate getting stuck. Than my smart machine went dead so this is it.
Notice broke glass...
Heck you got more snow on the plains then the rock mountains. Yeah I gotta get that windshield replaced.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice photo, Tamrock! Been over Monarch Pass several times on my bike (in the summer). Good Shot! View attachment 1889771 Picture is of my wife and I and the summit in 2015!
Thats awesome Arfiboy. Last motorcycle I had was a Yamaha 360 Enduro and that's been awhile, I did have a 1973 HD Super Glide, just before I moved to Colorado in 1977. Sold it because I needed money. Got $2400. out of it and thats what I bought it for.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome Arfiboy. Last motorcycle I had was a Yamaha 360 Enduro and that's been awhile, I did have a 1973 HD Super Glide, just before I moved to Colorado in 1977. Sold it because I needed money. Got $2400. out of it and thats what I bought it for.

Can't beat that! I'm riding a 2015 H-D Switchback which is a Dyna, 103 engine. Love it! IMG_9160.JPG

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking bike. Next time you ride out take it over Cottonwood pass. Beautiful new road it is today. You wait to long and the years of extreme mountain conditions will take its toll on it and then the constant need to fix it will begin. I avoided I70 coming home yesterday because my GPS showed a big long red line slow down on that road, which will always be under reconstruction and repairs. It'll never end.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Back in the 70's we used to carry a few bottle of Coke in the vehicle for the windshield. Coming out of Vancouver on the freeway the roads were generally wet and the oil greased up the windshield-so at Hope BC before the Fraser Canyon we'd stop spray the Coke over the glass to cut the film. Then driving was higher up-snow packed and clear.
Nothing worse than that bottle being dry, and the build up on the glass with multitude of smears.
Not bad when a big rig covers it, then a quick swap to get it clear.

Stay safe-hope the roads are clear.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When the road is wet and snowy, I get behind a semi and allow his wheels to provide something to clear the windshield. Don't get too close, though! ╦╦C

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread