May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Half ear is really getting that midriff bulge.:laughing7:

K1024_DSCN1108_InPixio.JPG

Two days ago earlier morning waiting their turn to eat.

K1024_DSCN1104_InPixio.JPG

GOD Bless

Chris

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It certainly looks like he's not missing many meals. Without that body
fat he'd have a tough time making it through the winters. eating-02.gif

Do those squirrels ever hibernate?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Squirrels will hole up in bad weather but they don't actually hibernate like bears. I love those black squirrels they have up in MI. Gary

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Squirrels will hole up in bad weather but they don't actually hibernate like bears. I love those black squirrels they have up in MI. Gary
Black squirrels are also in Illinois TP. My mom was cub scout den mother many moons ago when we lived in Kewanee, Illinois. I remember she and other mommy's took us little cubbies on a field trip to the Rock Island Arsenal and I was blown away to see Black Squirrels running all over. Looks like they still live in the area of the Quad Cities and how they got there is unclear.

https://www.wvik.org/post/are-black-squirrels-native-quad-cities#stream/0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got some panhander squirrels in my tree and like the one in your first picture one who's the biggest has fuzzy ears. I'm not sure, but that might be because he's the oldest. He's the one that chases all the other squirrels away when he comes around, so he can have it all. I think of him as the neighborhood bully.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never knew they were in IL. We only have fox and grey here. Small area of red squirrels I think in Ford Co. White squirrels south of here near Olney. Colored tree rats! Gary

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I live so far up the holler that I seldom see other people.

I don't hunt or kill critters - but I don't remember the last time I saw a squirrel. A squirrel isn't a meal by itself, so who tha heck killed all the squirrels around here?

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never knew they were in IL. We only have fox and grey here. Small area of red squirrels I think in Ford Co. White squirrels south of here near Olney. Colored tree rats! Gary

Black squirrels are the same species as grey squirrels, just a melanistic variant caused by a recessive gene. White squirrels are albino grey squirrels and like true albinos, have pink eyes. The Fox squirrels are a different species.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I live so far up the holler that I seldom see other people.
I don't hunt or kill critters - but I don't remember the last time I saw a squirrel. A squirrel isn't
a meal by itself, so who tha heck killed all the squirrels around here?

I'd guess it was the other critters living up in that holler..

To a weasel, owl, hawk, snake, etc. that squirrel is a feast. eating-02.gif

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You better stop feeding him so much. He'll get diabetes and you'll have to give him shots!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions