More petroglyphs near Yarnell

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been out on the desert Tue through Thur. I found seven more petroglyphs on a local ranch.

This first pic shows four depictions of a lizard. The most distinct one is more than two feet long.
4 lizards.JPG do you see the fourth? Up close I did not see it. Now, in this pic, sitting at home, I can see the faint lizard between the two most visible ones.
I did not realize it was a lizard until I picked this picture to post!

On another rock, I found this little guy near a path.
fifth l.JPG
The two lower feet extend down into the shadow.

Near the metates I posted last year, I found this circle/square.
circle.JPG

The above circle is probably less than a thousand years old because it is nice and bright. BUT..... on the same rock I found another petroglyph that even the rancher missed. This circle below, with a "plus sign" in the middle, must be VERY old as the desert varnish is re-claiming the rock under the pet. Do you see it? I suspect it is a few thousand years old. NEAT!
plus sign.JPG

The rancher requests I not reveal the locations of these pets and I will honor that request. If you live in AZ, NM, Utah or southern CA, these things are all around you! Get off the couch, ditch the beer and chips, and get out there and find some! ╦╦C

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did they make the designs by pecking? Gary

Yes, so the theory goes. Taking a sharper rock, it is struck with a larger rock to form a percussion mark. Enough marks and you have a design! I like to call them ancient BILLBOARDS. ╦╦C

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome photos thank you for posting them, one never knows what might be discovered in them hills.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread