TomB

TomB

Nov 16, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220 and Minelab X-Terra-70
Re: What I do when not MD'ing

Mike Silver -gold said:
Tom thanks for the PM. How long does it take to carve a decoy? I carve real slow. My carvings take about 3 months. Good luck. Mike.

Mike...Some decoys I can do in a week...others take five to six weeks. Kind of depends on the amount of detail. It most often takes me twice as long too paint. A lot of people have asked me how I do it...the answer is quite simple...take a block of wood and carve away everything that is not duck..... ::)

OP
OP
TomB

TomB

Nov 16, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used

Rich in Houston said:
Wow, dude you have a web site with that stuff on there for sale?

Thanks Rich and Ron...No I do not have a web site. I never take an order for a carving. I carve what I feel. People then contact me too see what I have carved. TomB

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000

Tom,I,m with you ,I have never taken an order to carve. I only carve what i like. For one thing I carve slow. I pay a lot of attention to detail. I try hard to carve people who were real. I try to make sure that they were good . It would bother me to the core if I caved someone who was wicked. Right now I ,m working on a girl. She was Lucy Plimpton. Lucy died at 32. There is a statue of her in a local cemetary. Lucy died in 1869 giving birth to her daughter. Her daughter lived to be 85 and is buried next to her 32 year old mom. Yeah Lucy was good. Mike.

OP
OP
TomB

TomB

Nov 16, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used

Mike Silver -gold said:
Tom,I,m with you ,I have never taken an order to carve. I only carve what i like. For one thing I carve slow. I pay a lot of attention to detail. I try hard to carve people who were real. I try to make sure that they were good . It would bother me to the core if I caved someone who was wicked. Right now I ,m working on a girl. She was Lucy Plimpton. Lucy died at 32. There is a statue of her in a local cemetary. Lucy died in 1869 giving birth to her daughter. Her daughter lived to be 85 and is buried next to her 32 year old mom. Yeah Lucy was good. Mike.

Mike...how about posting some pics of your work...TomB

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250

That's some beautiful work Tom...I dabbled in carving decoys myself for awhile...never was able to create the life-like detail you've managed to achieve...here's one of my better pieces...lol....need an apprentice?.. ;D...seriously though, your work is amazing..thanks for posting some of it

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 469
OP
OP
TomB

TomB

Nov 16, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used

ROFLMAO @ COPPERHEAD :o ::) :o ::) ::) :o ::) :o ::) :o ::) :o ::)

Keep at it Sir....we all had to start somewhere.....TomB

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007

I must have missed that fish first time around. Sunfish? Liked the birds but LOVE the fish!

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000

Tom, as soon as one of my PC smart brother inlaws come over I will try to send pictures. I have a disc camara and pictures of soom of my work in my PC. I just can,t figure out how to send them. My avaitor pic was put in by one of them. I have tryed several times to post my finds with no luck. Mike.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow...you are very talented, that finished duck looks real!

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great stuff, the detail is awesome! I see some airbrush work on those as well? ;)

OP
OP
TomB

TomB

Nov 16, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used

creekhunter said:
Great stuff, the detail is awesome! I see some airbrush work on those as well? ;)

Air Brush on the fish...but doesn't work for me on the ducks. Thanks for your kind words. TomB

OP
OP
TomB

TomB

Nov 16, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used

Ron & April said:
Beautiful Work Tom, :o

Ditto what everyone else said :)

Ron

Thanks so much Ron and April...and I have the same praise for your beautiful work.
Hope all members will visit your web site www.woodsofthewestgallery.com for a real treat.

Those Juniper Lamps are fantastic. Merry Christmas and God bless TomB

donny nj

Jan 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real Nice work ~~

:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread