High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I asked many folks if geese do it on the fly, nobody has had a definitive answer-till a man named Bill that hopes he has a streak of good luck comes his way-hope it come true for you. :occasion14:

I think you guys are talking about two different things here. Sure geese do it in the air. In fact I know Red Tail hawks do it in the air. I was soaring a thermal one day and a red tail showed up under my wing. We were together a short time when it lowered it's legs, pooped (there I said it) then raised it's legs and peeled off across the sky.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
pepperj ToddsPoint I have read that also oranges cut in half will attract the orioles..this spring I got two bird houses with 1.5 inch opening and got bluebirds and barn swallows.I enjoy being on the porch and watching how the swallows glide thru the air so nice and to see the vibrant blue color of the bluebirds
One day I had on a bright color shirt and hat opened the garage door and a hummingbird flew just inches near my eyes..it?s a moment that I always recall

Oranges (but not grapefruit) will 100% work and did for me this year. I find orioles are even more skittish than cardinals but they landed for the orange. The problem is that the damned tree rats kept finding a way to steal them and once they realized I was replacing, they escalated to the point I quit.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you guys are talking about two different things here. Sure geese do it in the air. In fact I know Red Tail hawks do it in the air. I was soaring a thermal one day and a red tail showed up under my wing. We were together a short time when it lowered it's legs, pooped (there I said it) then raised it's legs and peeled off across the sky.

I know Osprey use it as a defensive move.
Me and the Mrs were hiking back in 1989 and this Osprey was soaring around over head. The Mrs stated "I don't trust that bird"
No sooner than she stated that and it let loose
We took off running in 2 different directions.

A long swirling rope came down, splat right where we were standing.
I have to say it amazing aim at 100+ft up. :laughing7:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One afternoon we were on the porch and started to hear the geese coming our way.As the large flock flew over honking They really let loose as they dropped their waste on me and the porch..Some people say good luck comes your way when it lands on you

Shrimp boats are usually surrounded by gulls when they pull in a trawl and shovel the bycatch - many small fish, overboard. I was talking to my colleague on the deck under such a situation when his face seemed to explode from a direct hit to his forehead and bridge of his nose. His luck may have been better than mine since I almost hurt myself laughing and could not look at him the rest of the day without at least a chuckle.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj ToddsPoint I have read that also oranges cut in half will attract the orioles..this spring I got two bird houses with 1.5 inch opening and got bluebirds and barn swallows.I enjoy being on the porch and watching how the swallows glide thru the air so nice and to see the vibrant blue color of the bluebirds
One day I had on a bright color shirt and hat opened the garage door and a hummingbird flew just inches near my eyes..it?s a moment that I always recall

Many auto garage door openers have a manual release with a bright red plastic handle. After a hummingbird became trapped in the garage after investigating that handle, I removed it and just left the small piece of rope there without a handle.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bird pictures, my favorite is the kingfisher bold looking and a master at fishing

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Many auto garage door openers have a manual release with a bright red plastic handle. After a hummingbird became trapped in the garage after investigating that handle, I removed it and just left the small piece of rope there without a handle.

I raised my 25x40 garage up 2.5 ft a couple of summers ago. Had this one Hummingbird that would fly in and out of the openings on many occasions like it was paying me a visit.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice bird pictures, my favorite is the kingfisher bold looking and a master at fishing

Saw one today as I passed a wetland. It was landing on a branch with a minnow in it's beak. Beautiful birds they are as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions