Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Pictures and Well Done...we have a pair of cardinals in the yard daily now and love their song especially early in the mornings ....Also got a special treat today and saw a rare Baltimore Oriole..
Its not to often I get a chance to see a resting Hummingbird ..We have one that comes by like every thirty minutes off and on stopping at the zinnias and walkers low plants
Bill

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it was the fact we had the feeders out early this year we managed to keep the Humming birds around. In the last afternoon there's 3 pair feeding and zipping around. Amazing birds to watch and quizzitive flying right up to the camera before I had a chance to turn it on.
Saw a Blue Indigo bunting, and the Baltimore Oriole in the upper garden, but not down at the house.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, that first hummer picture is strangely familiar.???:laughing7:

Attachments

• Hpim0718a1.jpg
    Hpim0718a1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 41

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, if you saw an oriole you can get an oriole feeder and draw them in. They like the cheapest grape jelly you can find. We have them on our front porch eating jelly, maybe a dozen of them. So beautiful. Gary

DSC05987.JPG DSC05982.JPG DSC09650.JPG

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh that would be awesome to have them around in those numbers Gary.

Query: Is there an ant prevention system for the feeders?
When we lived on the island (St Lawrence River) the Orioles would nest in this thicket of Sumac.
Then dive at the vehicles as we drove by, sadly many over a season got hit.

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a few birds sharing the top of our list, but the cardinal is losing ground. This is the first year they have been attacking the side mirrors on our vehicles, leaving poop on the doors and windows. Even stranger, both male and female are doing it. Previously this dirty deed was only performed by Robbins. This year, Rose breasted gross beaks are in favor. We can walk up to within six feet of them while they are feeding on our porch.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are a few birds sharing the top of our list, but the cardinal is losing ground. This is the first year they have been attacking the side mirrors on our vehicles, leaving poop on the doors and windows. Even stranger, both male and female are doing it. Previously this dirty deed was only performed by Robbins. This year, Rose breasted gross beaks are in favor. We can walk up to within six feet of them while they are feeding on our porch.
Strange how a bird gets a hate on for a person's car.
I call this one carpet bombing of my truck, not sure if it was one pass or more.
There was just open sky above the Tundra.
IMG_20150502_115243020.jpg

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Strange how a bird gets a hate on for a person's car.
I call this one carpet bombing of my truck, not sure if it was one pass or more.
There was just open sky above the Tundra.
View attachment 1935062

WOW!! I've never seen it that bad. Looks like you were parked under a chicken roost.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

bfloyd4445

May 18, 2015
Sacramento Ca. or Drain Or. USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I found that if you spray the hanger with Home Defense it keeps them away untill it rains then you have to do it again. Make sure you spray and let it dry before you hang the feeder back up.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj ToddsPoint I have read that also oranges cut in half will attract the orioles..this spring I got two bird houses with 1.5 inch opening and got bluebirds and barn swallows.I enjoy being on the porch and watching how the swallows glide thru the air so nice and to see the vibrant blue color of the bluebirds
One day I had on a bright color shirt and hat opened the garage door and a hummingbird flew just inches near my eyes..it’s a moment that I always recall

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One afternoon we were on the porch and started to hear the geese coming our way.As the large flock flew over honking They really let loose as they dropped their waste on me and the porch..Some people say good luck comes your way when it lands on you

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh that would be awesome to have them around in those numbers Gary.

Query: Is there an ant prevention system for the feeders?
When we lived on the island (St Lawrence River) the Orioles would nest in this thicket of Sumac.
Then dive at the vehicles as we drove by, sadly many over a season got hit.

I took a small plastic cup and punched a small hole in the bottom. I ran a piece of stiff copper wire through the hole and bent hooks on each end. I sealed it with silicone caulking and filled the cup with water. It's a moat to keep the ants at bay and it works well. I found out ants can't swim. The feeder hangs from the lower hook. I'll take a pic after sunup and post it here. Gary

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One afternoon we were on the porch and started to hear the geese coming our way.As the large flock flew over honking They really let loose as they dropped their waste on me and the porch..Some people say good luck comes your way when it lands on you

I asked many folks if geese do it on the fly, nobody has had a definitive answer-till a man named Bill that hopes he has a streak of good luck comes his way-hope it come true for you. :occasion14:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is for PepperJ. This is my ant guard to keep them out of the oriole jelly. I put a loop in the copper wire so the cup wouldn't slip down. Gary

ant guard.JPG

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Gary

It could very well be a solution for the hummingbird feeders as the little water reservoirs on the top dry up quickly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread