fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While cleaning an old cemetery last year, myself & a young lady helper were raking leaves & debris from a grave, & she asked what is this?
It was a 'jawbone with teeth', I exclaimed "oh my gosh", & she ran for about forty feet before stopping.
After we composed ourselves, I realized it was a 'deer jaw bone'.
Although the cemetery was used by 'Choctaws' in the 1800's, it was evident they had started their burial ground over an older (prehistoric Caddo site).
There were also 'mussel shells', someone had been digging for artifacts in the grave, because the rocks (covering it) had been moved, & an old beer can was there.
We replaced the rocks in a pile, & decided to tell the landowner, (as a collector of Indian Relics) I didn't want him to think we had uncovered it.
We found one broken headstone that said 'killed', on it, & we wondered what the story was about that.
Later, a relative (G-Great-Grandson) of the man, told me he was a Choctaw with a store, & 'jealousy led to his murder'.
He was shot in the back, (by a group I won't name) while reading a 'primer' to a little girl, some family members still have the 'bloodstained book.
There were cedar trees so big I couldn't reach around them at the site.
(the word 'Killed' is barely visible at the bottom of the stone).
(the relative added the sign after we had finished clearing, & cleaning).

Fossis................

Attachments

• Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 750
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 750
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 756
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 751
OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CarolinaDigs said:
Great post and pictures Fossis. You always come up with the most interesting post :)

Thanks Carolina, there is so much 'History' in my area that it comes easy.

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Hoss, yes it is 'Masonic'.

Fossis.................

van Gogh

Jun 1, 2005
-*- Iowa -*-
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum, Minelab Explorer II, strong back and a weak mind
Very interesting! Thanks for posting. I was out detecting in the woods in the town I grew up in and came across a very old grave basically in the middle of nowhere. It was the grave of an Indian chief who was actually considered an early founder to the town. Many feet have trodden on the grounds before us so you just never know what you'll find...

vG

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
van Gogh said:
Very interesting! Thanks for posting. I was out detecting in the woods in the town I grew up in and came across a very old grave basically in the middle of nowhere. It was the grave of an Indian chief who was actually considered an early founder to the town. Many feet have trodden on the grounds before us so you just never know what you'll find...

vG

Very true Van, just below this cemetery, was a 'village', I found relics there when it was plowed, & my uncles (in the 30's), found a hatchet with the handle still attached.
& they found a 'cap & ball pistol' in the river swimming, (from fur trade era).

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy Elf said:
Very cool post....thanks for cleaning up the cemetery and the neat pics....Would love to see more.

Thanks Gypsy Elf, we had it looking good, but these pic's are after another years growth of 'weeds', (it needed to be sprayed).
The 'rock' grave is a different one that we piled back, 'rats' have made a nest in the one shown.

Fossis..............

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
You sure do post some cool stuff Fossis,and this one is one of them I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting it.
Van

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VanGone said:
You sure do post some cool stuff Fossis,and this one is one of them I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting it.
Van

Thanks Van, glad you enjoyed it.

Fossis.................

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Have to wonder if the added sign will draw unwanted attention from relic seekers who are the unscrupulous kind.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Fossis,

You always seem to have an interesting and historical post. Reminded me of a day I spent many years ago with an amateur archaeologists. He took a few Scouts from our troop and we assisted as he dug up a "box" Indian grave to relocate it. Wouldn't dare do that now but it was relocated to a local historic site and returned to it's original condition.

Thanks for bringing back the memory. ;D

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tricia said:
Have to wonder if the added sign will draw unwanted attention from relic seekers who are the unscrupulous kind.

Luckily it's far off the road, behind a locked gate.
Family members have a key.
Fossis..................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naughty Man Frosty Elf said:
Fossis,

You always seem to have an interesting and historical post. Reminded me of a day I spent many years ago with an amateur archaeologists. He took a few Scouts from our troop and we assisted as he dug up a "box" Indian grave to relocate it. Wouldn't dare do that now but it was relocated to a local historic site and returned to it's original condition.

Thanks for bringing back the memory. ;D

Thanks, I have been invited to dig with Archaeologists, but
you don't get to 'keep what you find'. :'(
I used to fill out 'site maps' for the OK Archaeologists, of places that
I knew of, & worked for a few months at 'Spiro Mounds', State Park, it
is a 'Caddo Indian burial site'.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no sELF respect said:
Fossis, you are a good man. It's wonderful to know that some members are respectful of the dead and actually work to preserve cemeteries, rather than dessicrate them. Thank you for caring.

Thank You, I was working on behalf of a Historical Society, & for my 'own satisfaction' because it is in my neighborhood.
We have three more to clean & restore, one is an 'old miners cemetary.

Fossis.............

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Fossis,
Thanks for shining a light on this hobby.
HH & Merry Christmas ::) 8) 8) :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions