Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She fed 'Belle Starr'

A few days ago Okie Hillbillie #1 & I were looking for a Choctaw chiefs grave in his area, we missed the grave & decided to get more info & return.
He took me to an old cemetary called 'Dog Creek Cemetery", where some of his folks were buried.
He showed me his Grand-Mothers grave & told me a story .
When his G-mother lived at Hartshorne I. T. (indian territory), a man & woman rode up to her place with a 'nursing baby', & asked if they could get some food for the baby.
His G-mother cut off some bacon & gave them some eggs & bacon.
Knowing the baby was too small to eat the food 'it was for them'.
The woman was the Outlaw Queen 'Belle Starr', & the baby was her daughter 'Pearl Starr'.
Fossis...........
The pic of the lady with the boy & donkey, was his aunt, who lived near the cemetary years ago, plus old 'Dog Creek School, & the G-mother in the oval picture, the little boy is 'Okie'.

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 495
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 499
  • Picture 025.jpg
    Picture 025.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 507
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 495
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 510

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: She fed 'Belle Starr'

Fossis...

As always - you deliver the goods. Great little photo essay and history lesson. You must have a great time hanging with the Okies... :)

Always an edventure to be had, eh?

I'm glad you come back and share with us here... :)

Jim

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007

Great story. You always seem to have a good times with those folks. Keep it up.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fossis, Great story...the kind that are handed down by by mouth from generation to generation .....Steve

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007

Great story and pictures Fossis. You need to be writing these things down in a diary or put them on tape. Someday they are going to mean a lot to future relatives or just people from that area. I know I wish I would have listened to my Dad more when he would tell stories of the past. He is gone now and that history has gone with him.I always enjoy your outings and all the color they offer.You are an artist that paints pictures with words Fossis.
Van

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

superduty said:
great story Fossis thanks for taking the time to share with us....Merry Christmas... :)

Thanks, Glad to share, & Merry Christmas to You & Your's.

8) Fossis............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Montana Elf Dude said:
Fossis...

As always - you deliver the goods. Great little photo essay and history lesson. You must have a great time hanging with the Okies... :)

Always an edventure to be had, eh?

I'm glad you come back and share with us here... :)

Jim

Thanks Jim, we have had some 'good adventures'. 8)

Fossis............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tac512ltd said:
Great story. You always seem to have a good times with those folks. Keep it up.

Thanks, They are 'mountain folks', & know a lot of the
local story's, & Historical places in their area.

Fossis.................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

stevesno said:
Fossis, Great story...the kind that are handed down by by mouth from generation to .....Steve

Thanks, we were just talking about when we are gone, this History will 'die with us' if we don't record it.

Fossis.................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VanGone said:
Great story and pictures Fossis. You need to be writing these things down in a diary or put them on tape. Someday they are going to mean a lot to future relatives or just people from that area. I know I wish I would have listened to my Dad more when he would tell stories of the past. He is gone now and that history has gone with him.I always enjoy your outings and all the color they offer.You are an artist that paints pictures with words Fossis.
Van

Thanks Van, My wife is always after me to start writing these things down, so I guess I will get started.
At first the 'young folks' don't have time for History, then later in life, wish they had asked more questions, (as I did).

Fossis...............

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007

fossis said:
VanGone said:
Van

Thanks Van, My wife is always after me to start writing these things down, so I guess I will get started.
At first the 'young folks' don't have time for History, then later in life, wish they had asked more questions, (as I did).

Fossis...............
You are correct about the young ones Fossis,I was the same way. My Dad and me use to fish and hunt together and he would always have a story about different places that we would drive by. I have put those stories down on tape and it is a long 2 part tape as I remember thing that I went through and things he told me. No body around here is interested in it but just maybe someday someone will listen and find it interesting. You have a wealth of information Fossis get busy and put it on record some where,it is valuable.
Van
Van

Okie Hillbillies

Mar 4, 2007

I don't know if you are aware of this fact, but Bella Star's maiden name was Belle Shirley.
She was married to Sam Star and they raised a rather large family before Belle was shot in the back.

Okie Hillbillies........................................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HOSSNV said:
Great stuff Fossis ! ( as usual ! ) I am just starting on a book about " Outlaw Tales Of Nevada " I really love this stuff . Thanks for bring it a littile closer . Hoss

Thanks Hoss, good luck with your book.

Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Okie Hillbillies said:
I don't know if you are aware of this fact, but Bella Star's maiden name was Belle Shirley.
She was married to Sam Star and they raised a rather large family before Belle was shot in the back.

Okie Hillbillies........................................

That's true, Superduty has a good link about her above.
I used to sell 'Antiques' to a local man who had an 'old blowing horn', that he said belonged to 'Sam Starr', he had documents from the family to prove it.
Sam's name was carved in it, I have wondered where it ended up.

Fossis............

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

Fossi I always love your post and this one I love as well :) I wish I could live near the Okies , people that have knowledge of history, landscapes, and love animals :) > they along are treasures :) Merry Christmas , Margie

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you Fossis.. every since I started this hobby, the history end of it has been so fascinating to me.. thanks for sharing..

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CarolinaDigs said:
Fossi I always love your post and this one I love as well :) I wish I could live near the Okies , people that have knowledge of history, landscapes, and love animals :) > they along are treasures :) Merry Christmas , Margie

Thanks Margie, & Merry Christmas to you & yours.

Fossis.................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bootybay said:
Thank you Fossis.. every since I started this hobby, the history end of it has been so fascinating to me.. thanks for sharing..

Glad to share

Fossis.................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread