Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Choctaw 'Lighthorse police'

I posted some on this before, but for 'the newbies', heres more.
The 'Lighthorse police' were given the duties of keeping the peace in the Choctaw nation, before the coming of 'Federal Marshalls & statehood'.
One man named Peter Conser, (actually Coinson), half French & Choctaw, the locals had trouble with the name, hence called him 'Conser'.
He went South to the Red River area during the Civil War, he had only a steer hide & a bucket to cook the wild game he killed.
After the war, he returned to this area & brought 'seed corn' with him, he planted a crop & had a good harvest, & year after year became more successful, (starting a store), & becoming a leading 'citizen' of the area.
He also rode with the 'Lighthorsemen', as a peacekeeper.
I knew an 'old timer' who remembered him, one day as Peter was walking down past this man's house with his cane, & stooped with age, he started 'shuffling' down the road, when asked what he was doing, he said "shuck, I bound to see if I could still run". ;D
When a Choctaw was sentenced to be (shot by a firing squad), he was allowed to return home & 'Get everything in order', no one ever failed to come back for their execution.
(I have a picture of the last execution), if I can locate it later.
The community, & creek, in the area are named for him.
Fossis.............

Pic's are Conser House (now a Museum), family cemetary, Peter's headstone,
historical sign, old barn, pic's of Peter, (lower right), & fellow Policemen.

Attachments

• Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 612
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 609
  • Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 626
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 566
  • Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 637

tac512ltd

Aug 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark; Aquavision 2007
Re: Choctaw 'Lighthorse police'

Another amazing story. Thanks.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigfish31 said:
You need to write a history book, you have so many good stories.

Thanks bigfish, I may start doing that soon.

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tac512ltd said:
Another amazing story. Thanks.

You're Welcome

Fossis..............

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007

Everyone knows the internet is a great place to learn things,and Fossis your doing your part to educate people. Another great lesson in Oklahoma history. I enjoyed this one also Fossis. Thanks for posting.
Van

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Very cool story .....thank you for sharing so much history. Have you ever been able to hunt anywhere around there?

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

VanGone said:
Everyone knows the internet is a great place to learn things,and Fossis your doing your part to educate people. Another great lesson in Oklahoma history. I enjoyed this one also Fossis. Thanks for posting.
Van

Thank you very 'kindly' sir.
Along with my one sixteenth Cherokee blood, I have a little Choctaw also, so I enjoy telling 'their stories'.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gypsyheart said:
Very cool story .....thank you for sharing so much history. Have you ever been able to hunt anywhere around there?

This old place was donated to the 'Historical Society' by the 'Conser' family so there isn't any chance to hunt here.
I know of 'dozens' of old house places, but most are on Government land.
I usually detect more in AR, where I know the people who have private land.
A friend of mine in another county in OK, found a 'peace medal' , given to the cheifs, it is worth $6.000 (silver), at an old houseplace.

Fossis.............

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

bigfish31 said:

That's what I've been telling him!!!! He always says "I know, I know...."

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

scotto said:
bigfish31 said:

That's what I've been telling him!!!! He always says "I know, I know...."

'I know' ::)

Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HOSSNV said:
Yes Fossis you are due for a book . See if you can find a used copy of this book " Out from Las Vegas " by Florine Lawlor . I think it might be the format you are looking for . If none available PM me and I will loan you my copy . Hoss

Thanks Hoss, I'll try & find it.

Fossis................

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Fossis...I too, enjoy reading your great posts....yours are exciting like Hoss's walk-abouts!! Love them both and look forward to when ya'll post!

Question for you....are you near Cardin, Ok? My dau's roots stem from there (her father's mother's side). Cardin, OK was named after my dau's 2nd great uncle, William Oscar Cardin (he was always referred to as Oscar). His sister, Sarah Cathern Cardin, was my dau's 2nd great grandmother. Their father was a Thomas J. Cardin, which I found him on a census record living with another dau, Feliciana Magdaline (Cardin) Kenoyer. Their mother was Esther Archangel LaFontain(e). Thomas J. Cardin was born in Georgia in 1843 and was a Confederate Soldier with Co E, Shank's Regiment of Gen Joe Shelby's command.

My dau comes from a line of Miami Indian Chiefs -- Louis Francis LaFontain(e), his father: Topeah, his father: was French Canadian, name unknown. Topeah married Catherine (Posongoquah) Richardville, dau of Pe-she-wa and Nantoqueah. I can trace my dau's roots to "The Turtle: Aquenackqau, Eel River Indian" who married the dau of COLDFOOT (Miami Indian).

I am trying to find these two books:
Yesterday in Ottawa County by Judy Johnson
Forty Years Among the Indians (author unknown)
...in hopes I can find out more information regarding my dau's roots.

CARDIN OKLA.
Cardin was a city with two names: first was Tar River and then Cardin Okla. It was incorporated in 1918. Its 1200 inhabitants changed the names to Cardin when Oscar Cardin promised to construct a half-mile of side walk in the town if it could bear his name. The town was located on three Cardin allotments, the Sarah Cardin Staton, the Magdalen Cardin-Kenoyer and the Oscar Cardin. Louis LaFountaine Cardin and his brother, Oscar Cardin had been adopted by the Quapaw and given allotments in 1894. The family was prominent in the early mining development of Ottawa Co. By 1919 Cardin was publicized as becoming citified. It was located on Tar Creek. (PS: I don't know why he was adopted by the Quapaw, his mother was Quapaw, so it states in her obituary.)

If you are ever in that area and take some pics...I would ever be grateful. I have been fortunate enough to find photos of many of my dau's ancestors graves that someone had posted and find several obits from genealogy sites as well through my own newspaper archive searches.

I was able to find Sarah on a 1895 Miami Indian of Indian Annuity Pay-Roll listed with her siblings and mother...father not listed.

I can show my dau of Miami and Quapaw descent. Family lore says they are Cherokee ... can NOT find any reference to that in all my research. They are suppose to also be of Chippewa or Choctaw descent...but not sure. I do show her 2nd great grandfather, Frank Staton (married to Sarah Cathern Cardin), attending a school on a Peoria reservation...but he was not Peoria Indian, but the relatives he lived with were. Frank was Ottawa. His brother in law was Peter Lookaround (Menominee Indian), married his sister, Almirah Staton.

This can be so confusing sometimes.

But if you happen to be in that area and have a few moments, any photo of the area would be greatly appreciated. Apparently there is a photo of Sarah Cardin Staton in one of the museum's there...she is in full Indian Dress...I have a photo of it, but it's a pic of a pic....

I thank you so much in advance...I find researching my dau's roots to be the most exciting to me in doing my family history. Just need to get some more paperwork finalized and then I hope to get her registered with the Miami and Quapaw Tribes...but it's getting all the proof that is fustrating sometimes!!! I know one of her grandmother's has a "registration number" (don't remember what it's called)...and we tried to get her registered that way and they said she was not registered...DUH...yes she is...my ex mother in law has the paperwork!!! Geesh!

Anyways...I really thank you for any photos you can find and post...Oh, the family (Cardin's) were into Lead and Zinc Mines. When my ex-husband turned 21, he received quite a sum of money from land his mother sold in Cardin, OK. (each of his siblings also received money when they turned 21).

With much appreciation,
Annmarie

PS: and yes, I agree with what everyone said...a book is a must!!! I'll buy one!!! :) I love the history that you and Hoss post...:)

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anne Marie, I wrote down the names of the books you are seeking.
I'me not from that area, I am in SE OK, I took a trip up in that area a couple of years ago.
I stayed one night in 'Miami OK', & went through 'Picher OK' the next day, there are hugh 'tailing piles', leftover from the lead & zink mines, & 'tar creek ' is one the Government is trying to clean up, also went through Cardin.
They are slowly buying up the property because the area is 'so contaminated' with the lead waste.
I have a Great-Uncle buried in the area, (killed in the mines), I may go back & search for his grave sometime.
Good luck in your research, & thanks for the 'kind words'.

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

'Stoney' sent me more info on the Indian police, (thanks Stoney).
In their 'old home in Miss', as early as the 1820's, the Choctaws had police, being led by Greenwood Leflore, & David Folsom.
Many of Greenwood Leflore's desendants live in this area, ( my sons went to school with some).
In 1873 Cheif William Bryant sent the police on the trail of horse & cattle theives in 'Indian Territory', they caught about 40, & immediately tried, & executed 15.
The police were busy in the 1890's supressing the manufacture & sale of beer known as 'Choc', it was made from barley hops, tobacco, & fish berries, sold mostly in mining towns.
I even know a man with the nickname of 'Choc'.
Fossis..............

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

You're welcome Fossis. Here's another little (well Kinda) exerpt from the following :

http://www.okolha.net/king_introduction_2007.htm

The Five Civilized Tribes formed their own nations with distinct boundaries, each having their own government and laws. Their governments had an elected leader or chief and two houses much like our present senate and House of Representatives. The courts consisted of a Supreme Court, circuit and county or district courts. A judge was over each of the courts. The lower courts had a sheriff that used a mounted posse which was called light horsemen to uphold their laws. Their justice was swift and harsh, having no place in it for a prison, why should they have to house and feed prisoners who broke the law. Whenever a crime was committed the judge would issue a warrant of arrest to the sheriff or light horsemen who would serve it. The accused would be brought to a holding cell where he would normally be tried within three days. Family or friends of the prisoner would provide any food or water that they received. Lesser crimes such as drunkenness, fighting, robbery or disturbing the peace resulted in a public whipping where the convicted were tied to a tree and whipped with a green hickory switch which was three foot long and 1/4 inches in diameter. The sheriff and light-horsemen gave the whipping which was usually heavily attended by the public who were encouraged to attend with their children. Fifty lashes would be given for the first offense, one hundred lashes would be given for the second offense, and one hundred- fifty lashes for the third. Usually the whipping left not one drop of blood on the victims back but did leave a ridge of blood shot welts, four to six inches wide bearing evidence that the victim was well punished. The intensity of the whipping was often regulated by how well the victim received his punishment or the remorse he showed during the whipping. Once a person received the maximum amount of lashes, one hundred-fifty he was subject to be shot to death the next time he broke the law with a similar occurrence. A person caught stealing was required to return the stolen item back to the victim, plus compensate him with the value of the item taken. If the person had committed other robberies or similar offenses before, a whipping was also given, along with making compensation to his victim. A person found guilty of murder or rape was shot.

Makes you wonder how efficient it'd be nowdays. ;)

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think folks would 'get the message' real quick like,
Thanks Stoney.

Fossis.................

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

Another honorable post Fossis :) You provide us with great pictures and wonderful history. I wish I were your neighbor :) But then again, you and the wife would have to put up a high fence and guard dog signs :-\ to keep me away >> I would bug you to go fossil hunting ::) as I am starved for artifacts and history !!! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread