SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all,
Haven't had the chance to drop by TNet since before Christmas. I hope everyone had a good one! We got out a little bit on Christmas Day to do a little sightseeing after lunchtime.
The first place we stopped at was the site where Sergeant First Class Paul R. Smith was killed during the initial invasion of Iraq. He was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions.

This tower I'm in was occupied by Iraqi Troops who were attacking SFC Smith's platoon.
In the tower at Paul Smith Site.jpg
CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW To learn more about SFC Smith's actions that day
If you click on "Battlescape" you will see an interactive account of the fight.
http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/smith/index.html

The next place we stopped is known as "Flintstone Village". It is a HUGE play area that Saddam had built for his grandkids/nieces/nephews to play in. This place had electricity, A/C, running water, and an ELEVATOR! Too bad it's been wrecked by vandalism.

Flinstone Village.jpg

Here's a picture of the "Victory Over America" Palace that Saddam was having built to commemorate Iraq beating the US during Desert Storm (?!?!?!?!). Construction has been halted for some reason. I took this picture from inside the Flintstone Village.

My Iraq Pics 018.jpg

Finally, we stopped by what is likely the only mural of Saddam Hussein that hasn't been completely wrecked. I'm the guy kneeling in the middle with the scabbard behind my head.

G4 Crew at Saddam Mural.jpg

Anyway, that was our Christmas day trip.

HH,
SgtSki

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool pics SKI as always 8)
the Flintstones grotto looks pretty cool place to be a kid

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Great pictures.

Glad you got out for a little while on Christmas.

Thanks for sharing and for the service you do.

Hope you have a happy safe new year!

Lonnie

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your service in that part of the world, and for the sacrifices that you and your family are making in the GWOT. I spent Christmas 2002 over that way, not one of the best holidays to be away from family and friends back home, However, we always make the best of these situations.

Have a happy New Year!

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
Thanks for what you do, SgtSki. The pics are fantastic.

Isn't it called the Flintstone Village because Saddam, after the initial invasion, could look out and see Rubble??? ::)

DM

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digginman said:
Thanks for what you do, SgtSki. The pics are fantastic.

Isn't it called the Flintstone Village because Saddam, after the initial invasion, could look out and see Rubble??? ::)

DM
good one lmao...Thanks SGT Ski, enjoyed the tour...Steve

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Excellent post SGT Ski. Thanks for everything you guys are doing over there.Words cant express our appreciation!! Its great you are taking pictures.Keep a diary also,it will mean a lot later.
Van

TomB

Nov 16, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Metrotech 220 and Minelab X-Terra-70
I take my hat off too you hero's...so DAMN proud of you guys. God bless you and come home safe. Thanks for sharing. TomB

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
SgtSki, I see by your patch your Airborne, but your avatar is engineers, does this mean you're an airborne engineer LOL
and always remember, those that can't, lead those who can!! D-7-1 Maddogs, Regulars by God. I was 10th Mt.,
Ft. Benning

Sniffer

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tour, Great job you're doing.

Fossis................

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to Yell an AWESOME "Thanks and God Bless" to you and ALL the Men and Women serving their Country. God Speed, our prayers and thoughts are with you always. USA USA USA

fccdfed

OP
OP
SgtSki in MI

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sniffer said:
SgtSki, I see by your patch your Airborne, but your avatar is engineers, does this mean you're an airborne engineer LOL
and always remember, those that can't, lead those who can!! D-7-1 Maddogs, Regulars by God. I was 10th Mt.,
Ft. Benning

Sniffer

Hey Sniffer,
I am an Engineer. The patch is my combat service patch from my last deployment to Iraq in 2005 when my Company was attached to the 20th Engineer Brigade (Airborne). So while I am not actually airborne-qualified (on account of jumping out of perfectly good aircraft not being a sane action) I was attached to an Airborne Engineer Unit.

This time I'm an Engineer attached to an MP Brigade.....Go Figure.

HH,
SgtSki

Buckets

Apr 26, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D ,tesoro Tejon ,tesoro cibola
Its nice to see the pictures with no media hype ..God bless the U. S. A.

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
It appears none off your group is carrying long arms, is that by regulation or is it just safe enough to not warrant them? Best of luck and thanks for the pics and service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread