I made breakfast

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
So, of course you KNOW it's not gonna be good for you... ;D

Home made donuts... and just as many donut-holes :)

donutes.JPG

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Well, I like your single-serving suggestion!

(Ah yes, as a Type II diabetic I fondly recall those distant donut days of yore... ::) )

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
savant365 said:
They look great Jim, do you make them from scratch or a mix?

scratch... :) Thank gawd it's easy... or they woulda looked like meatloaf or something... I'm no great chef... LOL

WindHarvester

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 2 - My eyes
Looks good Jim.

Do you deep fry them or bake them?

I've never made donuts but it would be a great surprise for Heather and the kids one morning.

Could you share your recipe or point me to it??

Lonnie

OP
OP
Montana Jim

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
WindHarvester said:
Looks good Jim.

Do you deep fry them or bake them?

I've never made donuts but it would be a great surprise for Heather and the kids one morning.

Could you share your recipe or point me to it??

Lonnie

Lonnie... you bet! There are tons on-line... here's the one I grabbed.

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 quart oil for frying
optional - powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar mixture

PREPARATION:
For draining doughnuts, prepare a place with either newspapers or a brown paper bag. Top those with paper towels. Either flour clean kitchen counter or bread board for kneading doughnuts. Prepare a shallow bowl or plate with an inch of flour.

Heat oil in deep fryer to 375 degrees F. (I heated oil in a pot... and winged it. If it's too hot, they will burn fast, if not hot enough they will undercook... they should fry like 2 - 3 minutes or so and get golden brown)

Sift flour (I did not sift the flour), sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix in butter until crumbly. Stir in milk and egg. With floured hands, lightly knead the smooth dough. Turn onto area prepared with flour. Pat dough into 1/4 inch thickness. Dip either doughnut cutter or two biscuit cutters (one 1-inch and one 3 or 4-inch) in flour. Use to cut-out doughnuts. Carefully drop doughnuts into hot oil, only a few at a time. Fry, turning once, for about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on prepared paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon-sugar mixture.

LOL... Good luck :)

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
They look yummy! I'll have to get the hubby to make us some. I'm to busy MD'ing to cook anymore. ;)

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
The donuts look great, raised up good & looks like a nice crunch to them. I
know where I'm having breakfast tomorrow, the local donut shop. By the way,
didn't the old mountain men & cowboys call donuts, -'bear sign?

Sidevalve45

Apr 8, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter/Sharp Shooter
They sure look good. Reminds me of Grandma's donuts. She made some mean lefse too. Uff Da!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That looks like a great way to start the day....or for dessert. Thanks for posting and sharing the recipe.

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Jim, looks like you've developed another hobby. I know this guy that opened a donut shop in 2005 in Wilmington, Ohio. He'd never made donuts before opening that place. Now he's opened his third shop in two other towns it's been so successful...and his donuts are the best I've ever tasted!! :) :)

S

stefen

PBK said:
Well, I like your single-serving suggestion!

(Ah yes, as a Type II diabetic I fondly recall those distant donut days of yore... ::) )

Me too (Type II, that is)

Can't we do something about banning such pictures? ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread