Collapsed Bridge
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Nov 2007
    New Market, MD
    White's Prizm II

Collapsed Bridge

I spent two days detecting around the base of this old collapsed bridge near my house in Maryland. Nothing but beer cans that the locals have crushed into the ground.

The bridge was built in 1805 - 1808 and was in use until 1942 when it collapsed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03284.JPG 
Views:	448 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	175024

Name:	DSC03283.JPG 
Views:	538 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	175025

Name:	DSC03273.JPG 
Views:	461 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	175026

Name:	DSC03282.JPG 
Views:	461 
ID:	175027

Name:	DSC03278.JPG 
Views:	471 
ID:	175028

Name:	DSC03270.JPG 
Views:	463 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	175029

us
    Jul 2005
    N Louisiana
    Ace 250
    31 times

Re: Collapsed Bridge

Oh, that's neat. Look at those stacked rocks. In the 1800s, there were no machines to do that. Those were stacked by hand. Sooooo much history. Thanks for sharing! -Noodle
    Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Jul 2007
    79 times

Very cool looking piece of history !
    Van

Jan 2007
    North of Sacramento,Ca.
    dfx
    3 times

I'm from Md. and wish I was into history relic hunting as I am today. I remember exploring old army forts, abandoned estates with slave houses,cemeterys, relics everywhere. Probably all shopping centers now.

Apr 2007
    North Carolina
    16 times

Great pictures
    That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much.......   Robert Lewis Stevenson

us
    Nov 2007
    New Market, MD
    White's Prizm II

This bridge was known as the Jug Bridge and spanned the Monocacy River just to the east of Frederick. This was part of the original National Highway, now Rt 144.

HH

Pete

Dec 2007
    whites-prism 3, whites DFX

hey i grew up in frederick maryland. good place. ill be there tomorrow again for a week.

Jul 2007
    Michigan
    X-Terra 70

The Jug Bridge area was included in the Battle of Monocacy, 1864. Although the bridge is not included in the National Battlefield, the battle actually started just west of the bridge as Confederates marched east from Frederick. The heavy fighting took place a few miles south of the Jug Bridge.

Don't give up on this site. There were bullets flying there and the area was occupied by Union pickets for a number of days before the battle. That entire area was heavily traveled by both Union and Confederate soldiers and wagon trains.
    Gary

us
    Nov 2007
    New Market, MD
    White's Prizm II

Garyf,

Unfortunately the population of the area has expanded unbelievably in the last 10 - 15 years and much of the area is now housing developments and paved roads. I would many relics are long gone or plowed under. I do plan on going back to the bridge next trip to Maryland and see what I might find south of the bridge along the Monocacy heading towards the battlefield monument.

Here is an image showing where the Jug Bridge used to be.

Name:	Jug Bridge.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	175421

Sponsored Links