Collapsed Bridge

Pete Sluder

Nov 24, 2007
New Market, MD
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II
I spent two days detecting around the base of this old collapsed bridge near my house in Maryland. Nothing but beer cans that the locals have crushed into the ground.

The bridge was built in 1805 - 1808 and was in use until 1942 when it collapsed.

DSC03284.JPG
DSC03283.JPG
DSC03273.JPG
DSC03282.JPG
DSC03278.JPG
DSC03270.JPG

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Oh, that's neat. Look at those stacked rocks. In the 1800s, there were no machines to do that. Those were stacked by hand. Sooooo much history. Thanks for sharing! -Noodle

bigfish31

Jan 4, 2007
North of Sacramento,Ca.
Detector(s) used
dfx
I'm from Md. and wish I was into history relic hunting as I am today. I remember exploring old army forts, abandoned estates with slave houses,cemeterys, relics everywhere. Probably all shopping centers now.

OP
OP
Pete Sluder

Pete Sluder

Nov 24, 2007
New Market, MD
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II
This bridge was known as the Jug Bridge and spanned the Monocacy River just to the east of Frederick. This was part of the original National Highway, now Rt 144.

HH

Pete

Detector Gadget

Greenie
Dec 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites-prism 3, whites DFX
hey i grew up in frederick maryland. good place. ill be there tomorrow again for a week. ;D

garyf

Jul 10, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
The Jug Bridge area was included in the Battle of Monocacy, 1864. Although the bridge is not included in the National Battlefield, the battle actually started just west of the bridge as Confederates marched east from Frederick. The heavy fighting took place a few miles south of the Jug Bridge.

Don't give up on this site. There were bullets flying there and the area was occupied by Union pickets for a number of days before the battle. That entire area was heavily traveled by both Union and Confederate soldiers and wagon trains.

OP
OP
Pete Sluder

Pete Sluder

Nov 24, 2007
New Market, MD
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II
Garyf,

Unfortunately the population of the area has expanded unbelievably in the last 10 - 15 years and much of the area is now housing developments and paved roads. I would many relics are long gone or plowed under. I do plan on going back to the bridge next trip to Maryland and see what I might find south of the bridge along the Monocacy heading towards the battlefield monument.

Here is an image showing where the Jug Bridge used to be.

Jug Bridge.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread