fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 'South American Fire Ant' has invaded this area with a vengeance.
They have ever so slowly 'crept' northward, & now one local county is threatning to 'quarintine' all products leaving this area, so as to slow the spread.
This summer I fought them hard, sometimes getting stung several times while just mowing the yard, (not stopping).
They get under anything that is left for just a few days, or build their mounds against bldgs, or just in an open place.
This is a pic of a mound along the highway,(about a foot high).

Fossis...............

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,755

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Those things are mean. I was in Dallas last fall at a hunt, bent down to dig a signal, and got nailed 4 time before I could move my hand. :o

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cannonman17 said:
scary- how do you fight them?

The best way is to put a 'bait' on the mound, the workers then take it inside & feed the 'queen', that kills them off.
But I sometimes spray them with whatever i have on hand, & kick over the mounds.

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stoney56 said:
Those things are mean. I was in Dallas last fall at a hunt, bent down to dig a signal, and got nailed 4 time before I could move my hand. :o

If they keep moving North at this pace, you will probably be 'overrun' also.
The authorities are 'finally' getting concerned around here, they are 'studying it'. ::)

Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CarolinaDigs said:
Fossis we have these horrible ants also !! They can be deadly , as some people are highly allergic to them.

They also 'kill off' the native ants, & wreak havoc on birds that nest on the ground.
Fossis..............

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They already invaded us. No matter what you do you can't control them all. They're killers. I did read one thing listed in the County Agent's notes...wait till freezing weather & go out and dig up the nest/tunnels, exposing em will kill em. ;D ;D When they bite, they bite hard and will leave you with a itch and a horrible blister filled with "poison". I've seen them kill baby guineas trying to hatch...sting em to death. I've seen worse. These ants are horrible & devastating. :(

;) RR

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat said:
They already invaded us. No matter what you do you can't control them all. They're killers. I did read one thing listed in the County Agent's notes...wait till freezing weather & go out and dig up the nest/tunnels, exposing em will kill em. ;D ;D When they bite, they bite hard and will leave you with a itch and a horrible blister filled with "poison". I've seen them kill baby guineas trying to hatch...sting em to death. I've seen worse. These ants are horrible & devastating. :(

;) RR

So true

Fossis.............

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Wow, I'm glad we don't have to deal with them up here! (yet) I know I would be waging war on them full time if they were in my neighborhood- wait until it's freezing out and go ant dig'n!!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sound like a good little business to get into killing them off

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossis said:
Cannonman17 said:
scary- how do you fight them?

The best way is to put a 'bait' on the mound, the workers then take it inside & feed the 'queen', that kills them off.
But I sometimes spray them with whatever i have on hand, & kick over the mounds.

Fossis..............
what about gun powder ::) you know the rest ;D

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cannonman17 said:
Wow, I'm glad we don't have to deal with them up here! (yet) I know I would be waging war on them full time if they were in my neighborhood- wait until it's freezing out and go ant dig'n!!

The 'cold weather' in your area might stop them from coming that far north, but who knows.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDDE said:
sound like a good little business to get into killing them off

Good Idea EDDE, I may look into that.

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
justgeese said:
Way I have found to control them is to pour some gasoline very slowly thru the center of the mound..do not kick it they will hide the queen..usually they are gone the next day..good luck, I fight them every year
Don

The problem I have found, even after kicking, & spraying, the 'remnants' just move over a few feet & start to build again.
(I can't resist kicking it over). ;D

Fossis..............

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Has anyone tried a nicotine tea??? It used it when I had a garden and it worked great.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RON (PA) said:
Has anyone tried a nicotine tea??? It used it when I had a garden and it worked great.

How does the 'nicotine tea' work Ron?

Fossis..............

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just pour a thing of dry, uncooked grits onto the mound(s)... then the worker ants will eat them and take them back to the queen. Once they eat them and get a bit of water in their little bodies, the grits swell and kill 'em. Grit's are cheap... no southern family should be without 'em! ;-)

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread