Got skunked out detecting today..............( 14 pics )

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
..........I finished several "honey-doos" this morning, I decided to get out & search for a BSA camp I've been reading about off & on for years. It folded just after WWII. It was a warm day, something rare in the midwest in January. I just had to get out & detect & you never know what's there if you don't get out there & try. I hope you enjoy the pics.

The camp was torn down & today nothing remains. So, after arming myself with aerial photos & the history of the site with me, I set out to "find" the place & hopefully detect it. After driving around searching for someone to get permission from......I stopped in a country store near the site & started asking around.

The owner secured permission & away I went. I had to walk down a set of RR tracks about 1/2 mile to get there. Here's where I started:

IM001043.jpg

About halfway there, I came across these concrete pillers. I assume there must have been a water tower here once for steam engines. The tracks has been around since the 1870's:

IM001064.jpg

Ut-oh, this isn't good:

IM001045.jpg

I know it has a coupler there, but it still doesn't look too good.

Check out how far down the river is from the tracks:

IM001044.jpg

I'd say it's about 100 feet to the water.
30 minutes later, I arrived at the RR bridge.

IM001047.jpg

The history book said the camp was beside the bridge. After looking at the aerial photos I had with me....I wasn't sure if it was on the western side:

IM001048.jpg

or the eastern side of the bridge:

IM001049.jpg

Both sides fits the description of what the book said. It was a flat area, up to 10 buildings were constructed & the boys swam in the river..plus...hung ropes from the RR bridge & went swinging into the river. So, I decided to start on the western side:

IM001052.jpg

I was disappointed because this side had a plowed field. I was hoping for natural unplowed ground. I would have been easier to detect. After detecting there for 90 minutes. this is all I can show for my efforts:

IM001056.jpg

Hmmm, notice the RR spike in the hole?? Not too surprisingly since it's near a RR track. I found nothing on this side except for RR spikes & cut up soda cans.

I started to realize the river floods this area often & leaves new mud. Targets are probably too deep to detect. The plowed fields were my saving grace.
So, time to head to the other side. Maybe the camp is over there:

IM001055.jpg

The grass was higher & this field has been plowed too. Nothing was found here either. I ran the detector on minimal disc hoping to find some nails, etc to help me find the site. It maybe on the other side of the river. I'll have to research it later.
Before leaving, I searched the stones under the bridge, hoping kids may have hidden something there:

IM001058.jpg

Here's the neat stone work. Kinda looks likes the Romans built that structure:

IM001050.jpg

Here's a pic of the bridge ( Man, I can't wait till summer time so we can canoe down this baby ) ......where the boys were swinging from it in the 1930's:

IM001059.jpg

Finally, with absolutely no targets or relics to show you guys today, I'm outta here:

IM001062.jpg

Sorry, I have no finds or targets to show you.

What's the best part you may ask??

I was out in 60 degree weather today.
I had a chance to detect.
I had no access to the world, meaning no cell phones ( don't carry one anyway ) & spent all afternoon 1/2 mile from civilization.

I still think a lousy day of detecting is a whole lot better than a good day at work.

So. I consider that PRICELESS(smile)..........see ya mark

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have the right spirit and understanding of this hobby. That was a cool place. Thanks for taking us along.
Burdie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread