Final Resting Place Found.......

OroGrande

Apr 1, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
After persuing many leads, I finally found the final resting place of my Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother. Emotional moment. I know they are resting in peace, beautiful forest location. Second picture is of the cabin built by my GGfather, it is still standing, albeit precarious. I have family pictures of them sitting on the front porch. They raised Angora Sheep. Hauled the wool by wagon to El Paso, approx 90 miles away, and sold it. Two week trip. Lots of nostalgia here. My MXT found an old rusty double axe head, most likely used by my GGfather. I like to think so anyway. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 644
OP
OP
OroGrande

OroGrande

Apr 1, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sorry here is the cabin picture!!

Attachments

• 2-11-2006 037.jpg
    2-11-2006 037.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 646

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OroGrande said:
After persuing many leads, I finally found the final resting place of my Great Grandfather and Great Grandmother. Emotional moment. I know they are resting in peace, beautiful forest location. Second picture is of the cabin built by my GGfather, it is still standing, albeit precarious. I have family pictures of them sitting on the front porch. They raised Angora Sheep. Hauled the wood by wagon to El Paso, approx 90 miles away, and sold it. Two week trip. Lots of nostalgia here. My MXT found an old rusty double axe head, most likely used by my GGfather. I like to think so anyway. Thanks for looking!
Sadly people die but memories live forever :'()

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing your story, so glad you found it.

Fossis..................

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
That is so cool....:):):).....

I decided to take a gander at their lives and found them on the 1880 and 1920 census records.

That cabin is the cutest...sure would be nice to fix that place up!!!

Congrats on your recent findings....:)
Annmarie

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
That's worth more than gold!!!! I have done that and I know your feeling, took pictures and wrote down all the info. even got the reading off the GPS.
We don't want this to ever get lost again do we? Good Hunting, Gnewt

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
How cool is this....the cabin is beautiful and so many memories. I like that you found that axe and anything around there would be from them. I am looking at hunting my gggrandparents property in the Ozarks this next summer and cannot wait. How great to be able to hold something that your grandfather used.

thedman4

Dec 24, 2007
That is very neat. I wish I could find something like that. I'm taking a trip out west to where my great grandparents homesteaded in Montana. I've seen the place years ago, but now with this new hobby, I can go back and see if they left any "surprises" for me to find. Won't know til July sometime, but will let everyone know.
I'm sitting here looking at my virgin Tracker IV waiting for the snow to let me get out and stomp thru an 80 Acre YMCA day camp that's right out my back door. It'll be a good place to develop some skills in this effort.
thedman4

K

Kentucky Kache

Very nice. Now you'll be looking for the next generation back. There's no end, trust me.

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
OraGrande,
JBot has your number, you are hooked. Lets see you will be checking back in the 1700's pretty soon.
This is catching, I had it for several years now. I caught it from a cousin. JBot will tell you there is no cure. Gnewt

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF THIS WASNT JASPER MABY HIS FATHER.
THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO HAVE IT.
;)

U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865
about Jasper N. Dougherty
Name: Jasper N. Dougherty
Side: Union
Regiment State/Origin: Louisiana
Regiment Name: 2 Louisiana Cavalry.
Regiment Name Expanded: 2nd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry
COMPANY: G
Rank In: Private
Rank In Expanded: Private
Rank Out: Private
Rank Out Expanded: Private
Film Number: M387 roll 1

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did a lot of research in ancestry.com last year and got so wrapped up in it. That cabin is so cool, I bet you like to think of them all alive and what it was like. That's what I do when I look at old places.
You know, I bet if you set gypsy to work on that thing it would look real cute! :D

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
IMA....didn't know you did the ANCESTRY.COM thing...isn't that the coolest? Found so much info on my family and recently found a passport for my great grandmother with photo of her and her youngest daughter (my half great aunt)!!! She was travelling back to England to see family.

I was trying to search in the newspaper archives for any leads to DAUGHERTY...found alot, but not the one I was looking for per this thread :(

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron and Ann said:
IMA....didn't know you did the ANCESTRY.COM thing...isn't that the coolest? Found so much info on my family and recently found a passport for my great grandmother with photo of her and her youngest daughter (my half great aunt)!!! She was travelling back to England to see family.

I was trying to search in the newspaper archives for any leads to DAUGHERTY...found alot, but not the one I was looking for per this thread :(
I found the census for them too but didnt want to post it
it had family names and such so i private message to them.

as for you not knowing what i do
im a man of mystery...lol
that and i have a buddy who id a big time private investigator
so i can get the dirt on anyone.
but i dont do that
i think peoples past is there own know whata meen

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
IMA...yeah, that's how I felt too when I found those two census entries....I figured, if they wanted them, they would let me know and I could email the census records. That's why I only made mention that I found them.

Have a great day....
Annmarie

OP
OP
OroGrande

OroGrande

Apr 1, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Thanks to all..... I have used Ancestry.com extensively. Wealth of information, but I have not used the census site, would be interesting. I only wish the land that the cabin sits on was still in the family, but sadly that's not the case. I am persuing leads with the Forest Service in an attempt to reacquire the land. Thanks, for all the nice responses, I appreciate it......."Oro"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread