Chilly hummingbird

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep a bird feeder out all year for these little guys here in Northern California. This guy was a little chilly and perching on the Christmas lights. He actually let me pet him and I lifted my grandson up and he got to pet him also. I finally wrapped my hand gently around him, cupped him in my hands and took him into the house. I breathed some warm air onto him for a while and he started to get a little more active. After a while, I carried him outside and released him. That was a few weeks back and he is still hanging around and active as heck.

Attachments

• hummer3.jpg
    hummer3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 456
  • hummer4.jpg
    hummer4.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 462

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the cold is really a killer for hummers -- food is very critical for them --amazing to be able to actually touch a living one --

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
phelm , I thought it was a mint condition SLQ --- :D ;D :D

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics and story. That is a lucky bird.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poor lil birdie. :( Thanks for helping our feathered friends. ;D

;) RR

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Great pics!

I've read that Hummingbird feeders should be taken down in the fall, otherwise the little guys would try to hang around through the winter and freeze to death. When the food supply disappears, they'll head south.

Thanks for keeping an eye on the little guy! ;)

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the responses. Didn't mean to tear anyone up though TT. ;)
Actually, having to take down hummingbird feeders in the winter to keep the birds from dying in the cold is a myth. I've heard that story all my life too but, when I decided to hang feeders out, I did a little research on the mix ratio of sugar to water etc., etc. and, during that research, I discovered that leaving the feeders out is actually encouraged. Some birds just won't or can't migrate and will stay around all year. I figured I'd just help them out a little. Researchers say that some hang around even if there aren't any feeders out; they find another food source.
On many occassions I have placed my thumbs and forefingers on the perches of the feeders and held still for a while and had the hummers come in and land on my fingers to eat. Can hardly feel them.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I saw a video of a man with hummingbirds feeding from his mouth, or maybe he had something hanging from his hat. I guess they must be pretty confident with their escape velocity. They sure do hover with precision.

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
;D Jeepers PB, lucky you, to be touching and even holding these, sweetest of all little birds! :) Then, to be able to save one's life,is just SO Kool and in doing so, you touched me with your compassion. 8) Thank you VERY much packerbacker, for sharing your wonderful experience and your splendid photos of the little hummers here with us. :)

later,

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures and very good deed. I got one in my garage and helped it out, when it landed on tip of my broom.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
What a wonderful story and great pics! You should consider submitting your story to Birds and Blooms magazine. They love those stories! Thanks for sharing!

HH,
Moon

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Packer,

You did a great deed by saving that little fella and you gave your grandson a great experience. I have a feeling that the bird know that you are friend. Great job.

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Packer,
You my friend is my hero for the month.
Thanks for the photo's.
Tenn. Joe

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Packer, even though I'm a Vikings fan, you just gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling. It's truly amazing how one little act of kindness can come back to you.
Have a goodun

Sniffer

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I'm with everyone else, :'( how sweet. I forget how big of a soft spot you Men have sometimes :). Thanks for being so kind, I'm sure it is something your Grandson will remember for life.

Oh, and the pictures are great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread