fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 1830's President Andrew Jackson implemented the removal of the Cherokee's from their north Georgia homeland.
The discovery of 'Gold' in their area probably speeded up the process.
They, along with the Choctaw, Chickasaw, Muscogee (Creek), & seminole, were removed to the Indian Terrirory.
Some were marched overland, (different routes are still being established), while others were loaded into Steamboats, & went along the major rivers, some Seminole were sent across the Gulf of Mexico in ships,(afraid they would escape in the swamps).
The Choctaw's in my area , hated Jackson so bad, they wouldn't carry a $20.00 bill into their houses.
These pic's are 'Wilson Rock', where the steamboats unloaded 'Cherokees', it is on the north bank of the AR river.
Bolts are still visible where they (the boats), were tied.
The Rock was named for the 'Wilson family', who later built a family cemetary on the bluff, one middle name of a Wilson is 'Sequoia', on his stone.

Fossis...............

Attachments

• Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 808
  • Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 785
  • Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 790
  • Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 790
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 763
  • Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 701
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 676

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics sad story. Fossis they did the same thing here in California to the American Natives.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Trail of Tears Sate Park is right near my home here, a lot of indians went through this area during that time.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fossis, You always have the neatest pics of a glimpse into our past...I always thoroughly enjoy your post's...Steve

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
Great pics sad story. Fossis they did the same thing here in California to the American Natives.

I remember reading where the last ones were shot down, accused of stealing cattle in CA, also the story of 'Ishi', who came out of the woods, in a starving state, & was 'studied' by scientists.

Fossis...............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
Trail of Tears Sate Park is right near my home here, a lot of indians went through this area during that time.

Several states are designating parks & trails as Historical areas, thus preserving more of the history of that time.

Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevesno said:
Fossis, You always have the neatest pics of a glimpse into our past...I always thoroughly enjoy your post's...Steve

Thanks Steve

Fossis..............

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine is related to some Indians that took part in what was called the Trail of Tears. He speaks of one of them nicknamed "Jack".??
Ishi lived right near where I'm at in N. California.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its a shame the raping and pillaging of the native americans lands and the killing off of their simple way of life -- done in the so called in the name of progress (greed) -- greed here in america is a bad sickness indeed --- and if left unchecked --it will be a fatal one for our country I fear. --- mark my words. I am part cherokee --many americans have indain blood in their veins --some know of their history --others know not of their history.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
A friend of mine is related to some Indians that took part in what was called the Trail of Tears. He speaks of one of them nicknamed "Jack".??
Ishi lived right near where I'm at in N. California.

See if you can get more info about him, I know 'captain Jack' was a modoc, he was in the last battle in the lava beds out west.
The story of 'Ishi' is a sad one.

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
its a shame the raping and pillaging of the native americans lands and the killing off of their simple way of life -- done in the so called in the name of progress (greed) -- greed here in america is a bad sickness indeed --- and if left unchecked --it will be a fatal one for our country I fear. --- mark my words. I am part cherokee --many americans have indain blood in their veins --some know of their history --others know not of their history.

So true, no wonder some of the Indians 'protest' on Columbus day.
My G-G-Grandmother was full blood, she married a Frenchman, & lived in Kentucky all of her life, her daughter migrated to AR in 1877.

Fossis...............

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice pics.

If this was in the "rants" section, I might say more. ;)

If you took the pictures, though, you have a good sense of "set-up" - makes for nice photography.

B

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Really nice pics.

If this was in the "rants" section, I might say more. ;)

If you took the pictures, though, you have a good sense of "set-up" - makes for nice photography.

B

Thanks Mrs. O, I took them, & have always had a 'Good Eye' for photography. :)

Fossis.................

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was the name Fossis, "Captain" Jack. This friend of mine has a document, I guess you would call it, telling the story of Capt. Jack from the Indian perspective. This friend is in his late 60's I would guess and has a lot of information about what occurred. I never read the papers he had about the Trail of Tears but I saw them. He holds them close to his heart. I'll ask him about them when I see him again.

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
That was the name Fossis, "Captain" Jack. This friend of mine has a document, I guess you would call it, telling the story of Capt. Jack from the Indian perspective. This friend is in his late 60's I would guess and has a lot of information about what occurred. I never read the papers he had about the Trail of Tears but I saw them. He holds them close to his heart. I'll ask him about them when I see him again.

I thought it would be, but 'Captain Jack' being from the 'Modoc tribe', would have been a different 'trail of tears', (probably about their being captured), & removed from their area.

Fossis...........

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Another interesting chapter in your book Fossis.You do a great job with your writing and pictures.A very sad story about what happened! My Brother did a family tree on both my Father and Mothers side of our family. On my Mothers side he was not able to get back only a short way.My Mothers side had no available information beyond my Greatgrand Mother. She came from the East and with her was an older women that we can not identify,just that she was Indian. My Great Grandmothers name was Smith and we believe that Indians from there that were removed were given the name Smith We believe she was Pequot Indian.I'm not sure of any spelling on this. Is there anyway a person can find out information on this Fossis.
Van

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VanGone said:
Another interesting chapter in your book Fossis.You do a great job with your writing and pictures.A very sad story about what happened! My Brother did a family tree on both my Father and Mothers side of our family. On my Mothers side he was not able to get back only a short way.My Mothers side had no available information beyond my Greatgrand Mother. She came from the East and with her was an older women that we can not identify,just that she was Indian. My Great Grandmothers name was Smith and we believe that Indians from there that were removed were given the name Smith We believe she was Pequot Indian.I'm not sure of any spelling on this. Is there anyway a person can find out information on this Fossis.
Van

Thanks Van, In OK they have roll numbers on all the tribe members, maybe you could check with that tribe from the state she came from.

Good luck, Fossis...........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOSSNV said:
The five civilised tribes many had own towns and local governments . The Cherokee even had their own alphabet and sued and won their case in the Supreme Court . But the white man wanted their land and Jackson ignored the courts decision . And what followed will forever remain a dark chapter in our history . Thanks Fossis ! Good stuff once again ! Hoss

Very true Hoss, but when 'greed' rears it's ugly head, you know what happens.
Even when the Indians were given land in OK, the whites, married in slowly, had leases, & finally the RR was given permission to build, so now it has more whites here than indians.
Fossis...............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread