Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As promised, more on 'Old Ft. Smith'.
After the first fort was abandoned, & as more settlers & Indians moved into the area, the local people were concerned for their safety, & petioned the Government for a 'new fort'.
In 1838 the Army began building a new Ft. Smith near the old one, but as getting congressional appropriations were not regular, they halted construction in 1845.
As the indian threat diminished, the ft. was changed to a supply depot, & the Army moved out, & the Federal court moved in.
This Federal court was responsible for the 'Indian territory' as well as Western AR, but most cases were from the territory.
The Indians were subject to their own tribal courts but had no authority over non-indians, & as many of the 'border ruffians' sought refuge in the Indian lands, the Federal court was the only thing keeping the peace.
The Judge appointed to this area was Judge Isaac C. Parker, & with many Lawmen, & the local citizenry, he began to restore order in the area.
He was over this court from 1875 until 1896, in which time 65 Deputy Marshalls were killed doing their duty, & as late as 1896 the number was over 100.
The judge heard more than 13,000 cases, of which 12,000 were criminal cases, 344 were 'capitol offenses' of rape & murder, & these the law demanded 'death' upon conviction.
160 were sentenced to hang, but only 79 were actually carried out.
The 'Gallows' were built to hang as many as six at a time.(pic is a repoduction of the gallows, the original was torn down & burned).
He once said"people have said that I am a cruel, heartless, & bloodthirsty man, but I have ever had the single aim of justice in view".
He died in 1896, as new courts in the Indian Territory began to take over his duties, he is buried in the 'National Cemetary' in the city of Ft. Smith.

Pics are the Judge, windows of the (basement jail), Gallows, tried to get pic's of the Courtroom, but too dark inside, & Federal bldg,
Marshalls, Old Fort.

Fossis...............

Attachments

• Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 511
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 515
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 496
  • Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 510
  • Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 496
  • Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 502

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Thanks for the post Fossis, very interesting. Personally I think that gallows should still be in use today. A few public hangings might just deter people from doing the awful things they do.

Charlie

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
Thanks for the post Fossis, very interesting. Personally I think that gallows should still be in use today. A few public hangings might just deter people from doing the awful things they do.

Charlie

In the 'Old Days', everyone for miles around gathered to watch the 'Hangings', so it must have been a 'good deterrent'.

Fossis..............

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Fossis, I always enjoy your pictures of our history. I am certain all the people of this net are of one mind, they love history, pictures that tell stories and relics you can touch. Gnewt

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsyheart said:
Great story,history and pics Fossis....I loved it ....Thank You

You're welcome Gypsy

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gnewt said:
Fossis, I always enjoy your pictures of our history. I am certain all the people of this net are of one mind, they love history, pictures that tell stories and relics you can touch. Gnewt

Thanks gnewt

Fossis................

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Very interesting Fossis,and your pictures are great. Keep them coming Fossis,Ive enjoyed every one of them.Thanks for posting this piece of history.
Van

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One 'notorious gang' to appear in Parkers court was the 'Rufus Buck Gang', a mixed-blood gang of negro & creek indians, consisting of six members.
They started gathering weapons around Oklmugee, I.T., after killing a Deputy Marshall, (John Garrett) for looking at them with suspicion, they went on a spree of "Gang rape ,murder,& robbery'.
Near Ft. Smith, they robbed ranches, & stores.
They were captured outside Muskogee, after a nearly all day 'gun battle', by Marshalls, & Creek Lighthorse Police, led by Marshall Morton Rutherford.
They were active between 1895-1896, but on July 1 1896, they were all hanged together in Ft. Smith.
To see a pic of them, (five) in 'legirons', click on www.knowgangs.com (History of Gangs).

Also, Belle & Sam Starr appeared before Parker's court in March 1883, it seems they rounded up a few of their neighbors horses & sold them with theirs, the neighbors, (Crane & Campbell) brought charges against them.
Sam was given 12 mo's & Belle two 6 mo's sentences, Sam did not 'get along', & did most of his time at hard labor, it is said Belle 'charmed' the warden & became his assistant.
They were in Detroit House of Corrections, after serving 9mo's, they went back to their ranch on 'Youngers bend' & resumed their crooked ways, until she was 'murdered', (shot in the back), never solved.

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VanGone said:
Very interesting Fossis,and your pictures are great. Keep them coming Fossis,Ive enjoyed every one of them.Thanks for posting this piece of history.
Van

Thanks Van

Fossis..............

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossis, you and Hoss are something else... god I wanna see what you all get to see.... I love this stuff..
mucho thanks

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bootybay said:
fossis, you and Hoss are something else... god I wanna see what you all get to see.... I love this stuff..
mucho thanks

Thanks, we are 'lucky' that all around us is History.

Fossis.............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SwampHunter said:
Back when we were kids we took a trip out west and that was one of our stops. Neat place!

Glad you got to stop in, the National Park Service has done a great job, doing renovations & keeping the area in good shape.
The park is in Western Ft. Smith, just south of I 40, plus the city just 'won' the right to built a new 'Marshall's Museum, & also the 'city museum' is in this area.
The riverfront is being developed, & a 'Blues Festival' is held each year, plus the Rodeo, & Fair each fall, restored trolleys are running, yearly Air show,
(ya'll come on down, or over, or up). ::)

Fossis..............

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics Hoss. I am pretty sure they used that setting and the Judge in a western movie--"Hangum High" with Clint Eastwood.

Okie Hillbillies

Mar 4, 2007
Fossis, did you go inside the jail? There is a very small space and the prisoners had to sleep on the dirt floor.
Many times there were so many prisoners they didn't have room to lie down and had to sleep sitting up.

Okie Hillbillies........................................................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOSSNV said:
Excellent ! as aways Fossis ! Great history . Thank you so much I aways look foreward to your posts because I know it will captivate my intrest ! Hoss

Thanks Hoss, glad you enjoyed it.

Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SoreKneeDayton said:
Nice pics Hoss. I am pretty sure they used that setting and the Judge in a western movie--"Hangum High" with Clint Eastwood.

Thanks Dayton, I'me not familiar with that one, but they shot some scenes there for the movie 'Rooster Cogburn', based on a Marshall from there.
In the same vien, an old gentleman from 'Shady grove' near Mena, recently passed away, at I believe 105, whose Grandpa's brother was the original 'Rooster Cogburn'.
I have a "hiking stick' made of cedar that he made & signed, he whittled ' knives, forks, & spoons, hiking sticks, dough rollers, for tourists, he called the hikers (hippy sticks). :D, he was a 'fine old Gentleman'.

Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okie Hillbillies said:
Fossis, did you go inside the jail? There is a very small space and the prisoners had to sleep on the dirt floor.
Many times there were so many prisoners they didn't have room to lie down and had to sleep sitting up.

Okie Hillbillies........................................................

Yeah, the pics of the 'windows', are from inside the basement jail.

Thanks, Fossis..............

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fossis said:
SoreKneeDayton said:

Thanks Dayton, I'me not familiar with that one, but they shot some scenes there for the movie 'Rooster Cogburn', based on a Marshall from there.
In the same vien, an old gentleman from 'Shady grove' near Mena, recently passed away, at I believe 105, whose Grandpa's brother was the original 'Rooster Cogburn'.
I have a "hiking stick' made of cedar that he made & signed, he whittled ' knives, forks, & spoons, hiking sticks, dough rollers, for tourists, he called the hikers (hippy sticks). :D, he was a 'fine old Gentleman'.

Fossis................

Here is what the movie said : Hang'em High scenes of the gallows and the judge's court and office look very much like Judge Parker's Court in Fort Smith OK.

Note the picture of the Judge. He looks similar to me.

http://www.flixster.com/servlet/embed/video/link/6752399

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread