fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several names 'stand out' of the leaders in the Civil war, one such man is not so well known, but his dashing, cavalry conquests rival those of J. E. B. Stuart, his name is General Stand Watie, Confederate Brigadier General.
He was born in 1806, near Rome, Georgia at 'Oothcaloga' in the Cherokee nation to a prominent & wealthy family. The name "Stand" was part of the English translation of his Cherokee birth name, De-ga-taga or "he stands".
He was educated in Moravian schools & he along with his brother, Elias Boudinot would become very vocal & important members in the dispute with the U.S. Government over tribal lands in Georgia.
After the treaty of 'New Echota', & removal of the Cherokee's to I. T. , there was a split among the tribe almost twenty years before the Civil war, the 'full bloods', who opposed selling their lands in Georgia, & 'mixed bloods', under Stand Watie.
When the Southern states declared their independence from the U. S., Cheif John Ross wanted to remain loyal to the Union, but eventually both sides went with the South.
Commisioned a Colonel, Stand Watie's regiment would secure the South's hold on I. T. in the battle of 'Oak Hills', August 10, 1861.
Watie played a key role in the battle of 'Pea Ridge AR', March 6-8 1862, & he became a thorn in the side of the Union Army, with hit & run Guerilla tactics, he was commisioned a Brigadier General, & given command of the mounted rifles, & three battalions of Cherokee, Seminole, & Osage infantry divisions.
It is reported, that his forces fought more battles west of the Miss, than any other unit.
True to his cause,until the bitter end, he was the last of the Rebel Generals to surrender.
He signed papers a full two months after Appomatox, at Ft. Towson, Choctaw Nation, on June 23, 1865.

Fossis............

Attachments

• Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 271

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Fossis. I am very familiar with General Stand Watie. He deserves a little more recognition in our history books...Steve

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
I'm still reading and enjoying your post Fossis.I'm learning more history from you then I did in school, you make it more interesting. Thanks for posting
Van

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevesno said:
Thanks Fossis. I am very familiar with General Stand Watie. He deserves a little more recognition in our history books...Steve

Yeah Steve, he got off to a 'rough start', several skirmishes where his men were surprised, but later he vindicated himself.

Fossis...........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VanGone said:
I'm still reading and enjoying your post Fossis.I'm learning more history from you then I did in school, you make it more interesting. Thanks for posting
Van

You're welcome Van, back in school, those 'pesky girls' were always bothering us, now our attention span is more 'concentrated'. ::)

Fossis............

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
fossis said:
VanGone said:
Van

You're welcome Van, back in school, those 'pesky girls' were always bothering us, now our attention span is more 'concentrated'. ::)

Fossis............
You got that right Fossis lol
Van

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used