Hilltop in Texas

Nonsequitur

Dec 18, 2006
Can anyone identify the town, the name of the high school mascot, the name of the rocky node and the name of the mountain in the background? Edited: I should have said can any Central Texans identify these things. For people anywhere else it's kind of like getting directions such as, "Well, go down this road 3 miles until you hit the road where Ol' man Smith's barn used to be. Now you don't want that road, just keep going until......."
guess.jpg

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I don't know the answer to the question, but I certainly don't see any mountain either.

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
zlathim said:
I don't know the answer to the question, but I certainly don't see any mountain either.

That mound, the one right behind the stadium...uh, that's a Texas mountain...LOL

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
EdleBrock said:
zlathim said:

That mound, the one right behind the stadium...uh, that's a Texas mountain...LOL

Ohh, my apologies.

OP
OP
Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur

Dec 18, 2006
Snowdragon said:
Mustang Stadium, Marble Falls, TX?

Yep. Do you know the name/history of the rocky area behind the stadium and the 'mountain' in the far background?

Snowdragon

Jun 10, 2006
Graham, Texas
I've only passed through the area a few times and never was able to stop, is this the story you are talking about?
Tonkawa Indians believed ghost fires flickered at the top, and they heard weird creaking and groaning, which geologists now say resulted from the rock's heating by day and contracting in the cool night. A conquistador captured by the Tonkawa described how he escaped by losing himself in the rock area, giving rise to an Indian legend of a "pale man swallowed by a rock and reborn as one of their own." The Indians believed he wove enchantments on the area, but he explained that the rock wove the spells. "When I was swallowed by the rock, I joined the many spirits who enchant this place." The first well-documented explorations of this area did not begin until 1723 when the Spanish intensified their efforts to colonize Texas. During the mid-1700s, the Spaniards made several trips to the north and northwest of San Antonio, establishing a mission and presidio on the San Saba River and carrying out limited mining on Honey Creek near the Llano River.

Looks like a nice place to spend a day. Assuming you can get reservations at the park.

OP
OP
Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur

Dec 18, 2006
Yep, that's one of the legends I've heard about Enchanted rock but this is not it. Enchanted Rock is a little farther away. The rocky area behind the stadium is Granite Mountain (yes, I hear you laughing zlathim, :D. It's just the name they gave it). This quarry is where they got all the granite that built the capitol building in Austin, as well as the majority of the jetties along the Texas coast. They still sell a lot of granite and marble all over the world.
The 'mountain' ;D, far in the back ground is Packsaddle Mountain. Lots of stories about mines, buried sacks of gold and one of the multitude of places where the Texas outlaw Sam Bass supposedly hid out, as well as hiding some of his loot there. Lots of indian relics have been found there, and just east across the river they have an archaelogical dig still going on.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to Fredericksburg Texas a few years back. I went to see "Enchanted Rock". Is this likely the same place?

OP
OP
Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur

Dec 18, 2006
shanegalang said:
I went to Fredericksburg Texas a few years back. I went to see "Enchanted Rock". Is this likely the same place?

Yep, Enchanted rock is near Fredericksburg.
enchrock_250x166.jpg

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
My nephew has been the band director at Marble Falls for the last 20+ years. Lots of neat scenery around that part of the country.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread