159.9 KB · Views: 968

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Just goes to show how people fail to look up as they travel through forests. And that is where the big kitties lie in wait. Just above the upper edge of vision. You walk by and get a live fur neck warmer.

Stryker

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Any chance that is an old Tree House? Maybe a foundation or something around. Just wondering.
Great Pic.

Dave

OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
alwayslookin said:
Any chance that is an old Tree House? Maybe a foundation or something around. Just wondering.
Great Pic.

Dave

Highly unlikely....the platform couldn't be more than 1 1/2 x 2 ft.....no other noticeable signs of "life", past or present in the general area....still may be worth checking around it with the MD....

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You wouldn't catch me hunting from that thing! The extra bucks for a quality tree stand (and a safety harness) would run far less than the doctor bills and the lost work time that come from using a stand like that one! I know plenty of people who are lucky to be walking (or alive) today after taking a tumble from a rickety stand. And if you must build one of these stands, never EVER build one in the fork of a tree. Either half of the fork moves differently than the other in wind and works the nails loose pretty darn quick. No thank you!

-SgtSki

OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
SgtSki in MI said:
You wouldn't catch me hunting from that thing! The extra bucks for a quality tree stand (and a safety harness) would run far less than the doctor bills and the lost work time that come from using a stand like that one! I know plenty of people who are lucky to be walking (or alive) today after taking a tumble from a rickety stand. And if you must build one of these stands, never EVER build one in the fork of a tree. Either half of the fork moves differently than the other in wind and works the nails loose pretty darn quick. No thank you!

-SgtSki

After thinking about this I've modified my reply..

Easy there...I didn't post the pictures under "how to build a tree stand"...heck I don't even hunt.. :)

I just came across it on a hike and took a couple of pictures...

I believe you may have misunderstood my comment...when I said I expected to see a skeleton...I meant that as determined as some hunters are... I expected to see one still up in the stand, not on the ground....

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Just a guess, TT, but perhaps Copperhead meant (the way I took it), SOME HUNTERS WILL GO TO ANY EXTREMES TO STAY IN THE STAND, SICK, DYING, OR NOT. There are some hardcore hunters out there, sometimes me included. ;D ::) :P

Lighten up, TT. It ain't all death and suffering, conspiracies and mayhem. ;) Yet...

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think this board needs to lighten UP, my gosh! Just a guy making a comment. We hunt here too.....my husband hunts, I'm going to hunt with him. Do I REALLY care if someone thought I would leave a skeleton? Not unless I was bored out of my gourd and wanted to fight with anyone I could get a rise out of. I've seen it too many times here. Why make people afraid to post?
I like seeing old tree stands. Thank you for posting a cool picture. Mine comes with a handy harness for us clutsy people. And I do mean that I am clutzy. Not all hunters. So please don't attack me for that.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
My carpenter buddy just built a treehouse...
"for someone with more money than sense" HIS words.

Labor & materials ran a tad over $15k. :o
rmptr

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Sara77 said:
I think this board needs to lighten UP, my gosh! Just a guy making a comment. We hunt here too.....my husband hunts, I'm going to hunt with him. Do I REALLY care if someone thought I would leave a skeleton? Not unless I was bored out of my gourd and wanted to fight with anyone I could get a rise out of. I've seen it too many times here. Why make people afraid to post?
I like seeing old tree stands. Thank you for posting a cool picture. Mine comes with a handy harness for us clutsy people. And I do mean that I am clutzy. Not all hunters. So please don't attack me for that.

Thank you Sara77! As I read the original post I was never led to think that Copperhead meant anything bad by his statement. The skeleton he was referring to was the hunter, not an animal. His observation was merely a way of describing the dedication that hunters have in the pursuit of game. A safety harness is definitely the best insurance for anyone who chooses to sit in treestands, wether they are hunters or photographers, as any one of us at any given time can perform a clutsy maneuver. lol!

We all need to read these posts slowly, as not to missinterpret what our fellow Tnetters are trying to say.

Good luck to all!.......HH

OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
I sure wasn’t expecting this post to take the turn it did…knowing that there are a lot of hunters here…I thought some might enjoy seeing the tree stand…unfortunately....a few took my comments the wrong way…I’d like to just chalk it up as a misunderstanding…TT, the little communication I’ve had with you has always been pleasant... I assume that’s why there was a glimmer of doubt buried in your inquiry to me that maybe my intentions weren’t what you thought…I invite yours and any others questions without preconceived notions…and would hope you afford me the same when asking them….once we’re clear on where we both stand…feel free to blast away ;D….happy hunting…literally

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You know, the original pic is surely an old "stand." I have one that looks about like it that's at least 20 years old "up there." Even found some old coins below it! :D I just left it intact when I found it 11 years ago, and the cats go up there and sleep.

But the one with the camper on it is intriguing! There's a spot down on the old Mississippi cutoff at Pointe Coupee in Louisiana where the camps are ALLLLLL 30 feet in the air. Whole mobile homes waaaaaay up there. Because False River floods so fanastically in the spring. Distant relatives owned and ran a little food/bait shop down there, and every year in the fall they shut it down, moved all the electrical equipment out, just abandoned the building. In May each year, they went in, scrubbed down the building inside and out (due to the fact that the water had come up and completely covered it), and reset up business. Crazy, huh! Meanwhile, 50 feet away, the mobile homes were safe and sound, 30 feet in the air, and the owners came in in motorboats from the other side of the levee and did their duck hunting, winter vacationing, etc.

Sounds like a lot of work to me, but that's Louisiana!

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
TT, you got that right! :D And 30 feet would have been about right. :( So sad what those thousands had to go through. They were born, lived and settled there, probably right around the corner from their parents. They knew no better. They trusted the levees. When all was over and done with, the only "high" ground was in the Quarter, just where the originators settled over 200 years ago. The rest of the "land" was converted swamp and iffy "land." Like a frog dropped in cooled water with the heat slowly rising beneath it. They never knew what hit them until they were under water and boiling. :(

OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
quote author=justgeese link=topic=139765.msg998221#msg998221 date=1202869098]
Copperhead
Enjoyed the post and it brought back memories of days standing on a board in the winter waiting on that one good shot...Now I have upgraded my hunting stand but still enjoy the good old days
Don
[/quote]

Thanks Don..Is that really your hunting stand?....I can't say I've ever seen anything quite like that...
can you provide anymore info about it?

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
From the looks of that stand perhaps the sketal remains of the hunter should be searched for at the trees bottom it look like that hunter could have fallen to his death.
Beware of the hunting threads some folks dont like us animal killers.
Long live the coyote hunt thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread