fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to the Spiro Indian Mounds today, they are located NE of the town of Spiro in Leflore co OK, they are just South of the AR river.
The place is run by the OK Historical Society, having taken over from The State Park system.
It is considered one of the most important pre-Columbian sites in the U.S.
It thrived from about 850-1450 AD, they were believed to be of the (Caddoan Language) speakers, the descendants of the people are believed to be the "Wichitas' of present day OK.
The site was a major Ceremonial Center, items of Copper from the Michigan area, conch shell from the Gulf of Mexico, mica from the Carolinas, colored flint from NM, were all excavated from the mounds.
The mounds were 'unmolested for many years', until a local group, called the Pocola Mining Company, obtained a lease from private owners & began to
dig, anyone who came by 'with the cash', could walk away with Artifacts.
They threw 'robes of unknown hair' out into the weather to perish, they found 'litter burials', with all kinds of grave goods, it is estimated there were 800-1,000 burials, buried in many layers over the years.
I know a writer of Historical stories who interviewed one of the miners in a nursing home, he said " all we ever made was just enough for Beans & Bacon".
The Artifacts were spread far & wide, some even to Europe, when the state finally stopped the looting, the miners set off one last charge of dynamite, for spite, & left.
The state finished (over the years), excavating, & took most of the Artifacts to OK City, (museum), a large part was purchased by Frank Phillips, OK oil man, & are now in Woolaroc museum in the Northern part of the state.
It is said there were 'gallons of freshwater pearls found', even 'copper boxes', engraved conch shells, '''effigy pipes, (some with two stems), monolithic stone axes, (made from one piece of material, handle & all).
The site was very near to the Ar river, allowing them to trade far & wide.
Another local museum has donated items also, (Kerr Mansion), south of the town of Poteau.
Some of the items shown are 'Exact replicas' of the originals, but a lot of the pieces were found here on site.
After they were excavated by the state, they were 'rebuilt' according to old photos.
A friend of mine was in charge of the project, we hunted 'Treasure together' for
about 17 years, (he has written stories for several 'Treasure Magazines)
Fossis................

Attachments

• Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 617
  • Picture 028.jpg
    Picture 028.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 706
  • Picture 029.jpg
    Picture 029.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 602
  • Picture 030.jpg
    Picture 030.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 631
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 620
  • Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 627
  • Picture 033.jpg
    Picture 033.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 593
  • Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 610
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 604
  • Picture 038.jpg
    Picture 038.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 697

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Good show, I'm sure you enjoyed that visit, I would have too. I wonder if they used shells for wampum, some did and those people seem to collect a lot of them.
They were probably considered rich by others back then. Thanks a lot for the visit.
Gnewt

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
An amazing post, fossis. I have viewed the mounds in northern West Virginia, near Moundsville. I wish I knew more about them.

Thanks for the walk.

DM

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gnewt said:
Good show, I'm sure you enjoyed that visit, I would have too. I wonder if they used shells for wampum, some did and those people seem to collect a lot of them.
They were probably considered rich by others back then. Thanks a lot for the visit.
Gnewt

Glad you enjoyed it Gnewt, I don't know about the 'wampum', but they used plenty of the 'freshwater pearls', & they also found large 'crystals' from AR in the mounds.

Fossis..........

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Burdie said:
Fossis that was a great post. I will have to go see the museum.
Burdie

Thanks Burdie, it's a good place to visit, I worked there for six months several years ago doing 'maintenance' on the grounds.
During my lunch hour, I would search the adjoining plowed fields for Artifacts,
(they were on private land), & I traded for some that were plowed up in the area.

Fossis..............

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digginman said:
An amazing post, fossis. I have viewed the mounds in northern West Virginia, near Moundsville. I wish I knew more about them.

Thanks for the walk.

DM

Thanks Digginman

Fossis............

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff Fossis thanks for the History lesson...aa

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mac232 said:
Thank you for the history lesson Fossis , I always enjoy your posts .

You're welcome mac

Fossis................

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
Great stuff Fossis thanks for the History lesson...aa

Thanks aa

Fossis.................

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
talking to you and seeing your photos is like watching the history and travel channel togather in fact even better
you have had some adventures

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bill gent said:
talking to you and seeing your photos is like watching the history and travel channel togather in fact even better
you have had some adventures

Thanks Bill, (blushing) :P

Fossis.............

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would show my old find but she is cooking dinner

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
I would show my old find but she is cooking dinner

For your sake aa, (we won't tell her) you said that. :o

Fossis.................

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Great info as usual fossis!
I live about 40 minutes south of the mound that Digginman mentioned. It is the Grave Creek Mound, on the Ohio river, in Moundsville, WV. At 69 ft. in height, and 295 ft. in diameter at the base, it is one of the largest conical mounds constructed during the late Adena Period. Constructed from about 250-150 BC. The Delf Norona museum is next to the mound and a new addition is being added. The museum displays many artifacts excavated from the mound since around 1838, as well as displays of the history and lifestyle of the Adena people. There are other smaller mounds scattered throughout the upper Ohio valley. In Ohio, there are various mounds, one being the famous Serpent mound. Its worth a roadtrip for those interested!

These sites here and where you are, predate the modern Native Americans, and are kind of a mystery in the timeline.

This is really cool stuff ! Thanks for the post!

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, the mounds you mentioned, I have read about, they are very fascinating, also the 'very large Cahokia mound in MO'.
There are a lot of 'similarities' in this area with the 'Mexican culture', several carvings, etc..., the 'Toltec mound' in AR, was thought to be from the South American people at first.
Fossis............

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for showing us this, I love native american history. I wonder what America would be like if the Eurpeans wouldn't have taken over.......... :-\

OP
OP
fossis

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sara77 said:
Thanks for showing us this, I love native american history. I wonder what America would be like if the Eurpeans wouldn't have taken over.......... :-\

You're Welcome, if not Europeans, someone else.

Fossis..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread