303_Enfield.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,758

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets pretend i am stupid ::) is that a British 303?

OP
OP
levis_dad

levis_dad

Jun 3, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
aa battery said:
Lets pretend i am stupid ::) is that a British 303?

Yes, it is British...made in 1943

justgeese said:
Nice, How bad is the recoil with the syn. stock or is it weighted?
Don

No, it is not weighted...the recoil is about like a 30-06.

muleskinner said:
I've read that Australian snipers could really reach out and touch someone with one of those.

Yes, these are very long range weapons...it had a 800meter sight on it (I took it off to put the scope mount on)

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Levisdad my father taught me how to shoot with a 303 and it did kick like a mule.

OP
OP
levis_dad

levis_dad

Jun 3, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
I guess I don't pay attention to the recoil. The only time I shoot the rifle is when there is a deer in the crosshairs.
I sighted it in when I put the scope on and have not shot it at anything but deer ever since.
I prolly should take it out and burn a little powder in it every once in a while...nah, it is just the way I like it...dead on at 100 yards.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what kind of optics are those are are they pricey ?

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
Can you get a good clear shot of the receiver band under the bolt knob? Also what bullet weight are you using?

The Brit sniper rifle used from WWII until recently was a modified No.4/mk. 1 called a 4T. Verrrry accurate. I have a No.1/MkIII* Short Magazine Lee-Enfield or SMLE (pronounced "Smelly"). Just an interesting tidbit vis a vis the Lee Enfields; they cock the action as you close the bolt. This is opposite of just about every other bolt design in the world. With the cock on closing, you can get extremely fast shots out. In the late '30's an old Regimental Sgt. got off 34 or 35 aimed shots in one minute using the Enfield.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
303 is a good round. I got a buck using one, years ago...
Better meat than you can get at the market!
Don't shoot much, anymore, but it was fun, loading for 9 different calibers.
Good luck this year.
rmpt

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did you sporterize it?

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the .303 as well. I've found it to be very accurate and light recoil, a true classic!

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about doing a Mosin Nagant........similar to this..........
I not much of a hunter, I just want to sporterize a old mis-matched mil-surp gun.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one very similar rechambered to .45-70. The rim diameter is the same for both cartridges and all you have to do is put a .45-70 barrel on it and headspace it. My "Hog" gun. Monty

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty said:
I have one very similar rechambered to .45-70. The rim diameter is the same for both cartridges and all you have to do is put a .45-70 barrel on it and headspace it. My "Hog" gun. Monty
good info thanks monty 8)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a M-N model 38 made into a scout rifle with a LER scope mounted up front of the action. Since the top of the receiver on a M-N is split you can't mount a scope directly over the bore, but mounted in front of the acton it requires a LER (long eye relief) scope. The little carbine is light, fast handling and the power of the 7.62 Russian military round is almost identical to the .308 Winchester or the 7.62 NATO. I have collected WWI and WWII bolt action rifles for several years and have several models. As a collector I don't like to customize the rifles to the point where you can't easily convert them back to the original condition. My favorites are my 6.5 mm Swede rifles that I shoot in competition in their original condition. They are super accurate. All are capable of shooting sub moa groups with open sights at 100 yds. if the marksman is up to it. I have done it once in a match and won the match with a perfect score. This is my second hobby next to metal detecting so if anyone wants to discuss, send me a PM and we'll polaver. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread