1960 Chevy apache project, ocean blue

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is the first old truck we have that I am fond of. For some reason we call it "ol mater salad". It is the prettiest color, just like the ocean that I love. When we bought it for 100 dollars it was supposed to have been parked running. The kids and I pulled my husband in that thing with the wheels locked up for about a 1/2 an hour. Looked under the hood and found it had been overheated and the pushrods were all bent. Guess our neighbor's memory was a little rusty! :D If it had been a stranger we would have looked under the hood before we bounced around on those old tires. We're hoping to find another stove-bolt to put in the old thing.

Attachments

• SANY0095.JPG
    SANY0095.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 406

MichiganRob

Jan 17, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
That is a great truck...can't tell from the picture; is that a stepside? Do a little restoration and some customization and it will be worth some serious $$$$$$$$$

MichiganRob

OP
OP
E59

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hahaha, eyebrows it has! We loved it the moment we saw it. I wanted to post a picture of the front but someone must have deleted it. Whenever people see it they instantly hate it or love it.
It does have stepsides. Last fall we took out the original wood plank bed. Sadly it was parked in weeds for the last 20 years (we've only had it since midsummer) so everthing is kinda rough.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Cool truck. There is a 61 ford f-100 in New Mexico I have my eyes on. It used to belong to my grandpa. I learned to drive in it and it still runs! Guy wants $2500 for it. But it's 1500 miles from home and will start to rust once it hits the humidity. :(

S

stefen

wildrider said:
Cool truck. There is a 61 ford f-100 in New Mexico I have my eyes on. It used to belong to my grandpa. I learned to drive in it and it still runs! Guy wants $2500 for it. But it's 1500 miles from home and will start to rust once it hits the humidity. :(

The difference is if it was a chevy you can actually hear it rust ;D

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Sara77 said:
This is the first old truck we have that I am fond of. For some reason we call it "ol mater salad". It is the prettiest color, just like the ocean that I love. When we bought it for 100 dollars it was supposed to have been parked running. The kids and I pulled my husband in that thing with the wheels locked up for about a 1/2 an hour. Looked under the hood and found it had been overheated and the pushrods were all bent. Guess our neighbor's memory was a little rusty! :D If it had been a stranger we would have looked under the hood before we bounced around on those old tires. We're hoping to find another stove-bolt to put in the old thing.

what are you all bringing this way, I might have a motor for you

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Pretty good ole trucks....

235 6 NOT so good, and hard to find a head for one that is not cracked from heat.

Best to plug in a SBC and auto trans complete...

Sry, facts is facts!
rmptr

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
rmptr said:
Pretty good ole trucks....

235 6 NOT so good, and hard to find a head for one that is not cracked from heat.

Best to plug in a SBC and auto trans complete...

Sry, facts is facts!
rmptr

you think it has a 235, I was thinking 250

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I could look it up, here, online...

Better for them if it's a 250. a more modern engine built for hi speed.
and the heads were not so fragile!

Still, there's SO much room under the hood, a small block with T350 is probably best...

Don't you think, Farmer?
rmptr

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
rmptr said:
I could look it up, here, online...

Better for them if it's a 250. a more modern engine built for hi speed.
and the heads were not so fragile!

Still, there's SO much room under the hood, a small block with T350 is probably best...

Don't you think, Farmer?
rmptr

true always loved those small block chevys and I'm a Ford man, those old T350 were like tanks. think i even have a few of them laying around the farm. Know I have several engines hanging

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Yup!

I've run mostly Fords for the last number of years, but ran almost all Chevies prior to that.

There's just no better truck than a Ford, these days...

Here's what I found on a Chevy site regarding the engine.

Major engineering changes for 1963 included replacing the light-duty model's torsion bar front suspension with coil springs and replacing the former standard six cylinder engine family with all new 230 cubic inch and 292 cubic inch sixes. The former 235.5 and 261 cubic inch sixes remained the standard engines for K10 and K20 pickups only.

So, in 1960 it's most likely the 235 as 261 was probably in 3/4t pu's.

HH
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread