Manganese in the Mountains

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Yesterday, Fossis took me to his secret spot to hunt Manganese in SW Arkansas. Overlooking the Cossatot river, it was mined here in the 1950's, and while the mining has stopped, the mines are still there. Up...up...up we hiked, and wow are my legs sore today. The view up there was incredible. We did better than Fossis thought we would do on what we found. Any 'expedition' with Fossis is a great time!

Pic #1 is me at the smaller mine entrance, and #2 is Fossis by the larger one. #3 is the view from up there.

mag1.jpg

mag2.jpg

mag3.jpg

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Pic #4 is a look into the small mine entrance. Bars were put up to keep the people out and protect the bats that live there now.
mag9.jpg

Here's a shot of the Cossatot River near the road.
mag5.jpg

And here's a pic of a neat double-sphere of Manganese that Fossis found, he always finds the best stuff. ;D
mag6.jpg

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Here's a pic of some of the specimens we collected.
mag7.jpg

Here's a close-up shot of what it looks like.
mag8.jpg

Here's a neat shot of a huge dead tree near the peak, with a view of the rocks all around the area.
mag4.jpg

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
don't get over exposed:

"How can manganese affect my health?

Some individuals exposed to very high levels of manganese for long periods of time in their work developed mental and emotional disturbances and slow and clumsy body movements. "

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, Alwayslooking, I noticed it would 'dirty your hands',after handling it, (good to know).
& before aa jumps in on this 'opportune moment', (I was slow & clumsy) before I found Manganese. ;D

(Great pic's Scotto)
Fossis.............

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Very Cool Scotto, nice pics!

That Fossis has some neat secret places, doesn't he ;D

TW

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That bubbly texture sure is neat. My mom had some geodes that looked like that, just not black. Really great views, looks like a good time was had by all!

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Interesting, I hadn't seen natural manganese before. I worked in a plant that produced electrolytic manganese and MnO2 (manganese dioxide). MnO2 is what makes up the core of batteries such as 9 volt or C, D-cells. That bubbly texture looks familiar, that's how our product turned out when the batch was wrong. When we saw those bubbles, we knew we were in for a bad day. The bubbles would hold sulphuric acid (used in the process). When the bubbles burst, you got splashed with boiling acid. Never a dull moment.

Mn will definitely foul up your central nervous system, it's suspected of contributing to Parkinson's disease. But just walking there or handling the 'stones' probably would have no effect. Long term exposures to Mn dust is a problem. There's a study being done here about the Mn emissions around the plant, one of the most polluted places in the US.

Back in the day, El Mang was about $9/lb. 100lbs will fit in a dog food bag.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I love Ark. it has lots of treasures. I go to the crystal mines whenever I can. those are great specs

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks folks, we had a great time & glad you could come along.
The name 'Cossatot' is an indian word meaning (bone crusher), I guess from rough canoe rides down it. :P

We're planning a 'crystal dig' next week.
Fossis.............

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
Excellent post with excellent pictures.Looks to me like your learning a lot from Fossis.Your post reminds me of his. I think you both should be keeping a journal on your adventures. Thanks for the post I enjoyed it.
Van

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
oh!! I am green w/ envy! what mine are you going to? Fossis you are sooo lucky to be there!
this is a pic of some of our local keepers. druzy I find it all over here. have some pretty nice specimens but this is one of my faves. the crystal in my avatar is from a dig at colemans

Attachments

• druzy1.JPG
    druzy1.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 229

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mamabear said:
oh!! I am green w/ envy! what mine are you going to? Fossis you are sooo lucky to be there!
this is a pic of some of our local keepers. druzy I find it all over here. have some pretty nice specimens but this is one of my faves. the crystal in my avatar is from a dig at colemans

We're going to dig on some private property for crystals, the 'druzy' is a nice piece, I figured your avitar pic was an AR crystal. :P

Fossis............

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
VanGone said:
Looks to me like your learning a lot from Fossis.Your post reminds me of his. I think you both should be keeping a journal on your adventures.

Thanks Van. Fossis is a great teacher, he's got me into this rockhounding hobby and I've got the bug now pretty bad.
Most of what we do gets posted here on T-net, I'm a camera nut and I like to document all of our adventures.

Hopefuly we'll have some success at finding some of the crystals in a few days, and I can bring ya'll along on that trip as well. ;D

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alwayslookin said:
don't get over exposed:

"How can manganese affect my health?

Some individuals exposed to very high levels of manganese for long periods of time in their work developed mental and emotional disturbances and slow and clumsy body movements. "
Jeeze.... Annd all these years I was thinking it was old age ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread