Vicksburg Miss. Military Park

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• Vicksburg 090 (Medium).jpg
    Vicksburg 090 (Medium).jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 220
  • Vicksburg 093 (Medium).jpg
    Vicksburg 093 (Medium).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Vicksburg 096 (Medium).jpg
    Vicksburg 096 (Medium).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 227
  • Vicksburg 097 (Medium).jpg
    Vicksburg 097 (Medium).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 213
  • Vicksburg 103 (Medium) (2).jpg
    Vicksburg 103 (Medium) (2).jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Vicksburg 114 (Medium).jpg
    Vicksburg 114 (Medium).jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 219

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Beautiful and sobering place.They have had some recent vandalism which is a shame.History just is not taught anymore like it should be.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is defintally a place I would love to seeI love to explore, detect, or camara ready, anything to do with the Civil War.

Jweff and I went to a field in Mo. several years ago- the pictures I took along a creek --dried up at the time you could see spirits it is really odd!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Vicksburg!! Shane, it looks like you and Angela had a very good visit, beautiful weather too. Staying at one of the Bed & Breakfast Inns, is the best way to complete this trip. Thanks for sharing this beautiful historical landmark with everyone. With Shane's permission, I'm including a little history behind the USS Cairo.

The USS Cairo at Vicksburg
First Ship Sunk by a Naval Mine in Warfare

The Ironclad Cairo was sunk during the US Civil War by two Confederate sailors and their homemade naval mines, ushering in a new era in naval warfare
The U.S.S. Cairo was one of seven ironclad gunboats named in honor of towns along the upper Mississippi and Ohio rivers. These powerful ironclads were formidable vessels, each mounting thirteen big guns (cannon). On them rested in large part, Northern hopes to regain control of the lower Mississippi River and split the Confederacy in two. The "city class" gunboats were designed by Samuel M. Pook and built by river engineer James B. Eads. Cairo was constructed at Mound City, Illinois, and commissioned in January 1862 under the command of Lt. Commander Thomas O. Selfridge, Jr.

The ship was 175 feet long, 51 feet wide, weight was 512 tons, draft 6 feet. The ship carried 13 modern guns made up of three 4 pounder army rifle, three 64 pounder Navy smoothbore cannon, six 32 pounder Navy smoothbores, and one 30 pounder Parrott. The naval crew had 17 officers, 27 petty officers, 111 seamen, 3 landsmen, 12 firemen, and 4 "coal heavers". Powered by two steam engines with five coal fueled boilers propelling a recessed paddle wheel the ship could reach up to seven knots. The boilers operated at 140 pounds per square inch steam pressure and consumed almost a ton of coal per hour. The iron plating was mounted as part of the sloping casemate that enclosed the gun deck. The 2 1/2 inch thick charcoal plate iron was backed by a two foot thickness of white oak timbers to absorb the shock of impacting shells. It was considered a moving monster capable of retaking the river in the face of almost any land bound artillery.

The Cairo became attached to the Army's Western Gunboat Fleet. It captured Clarksville and Nashville, Tennessee, in February and two months later took a small part in the battle to capture Fort pillow. On June 6 1862, the Cairo joined eight other Union ships against an equal number of Confederate gunboats off Memphis, Tennessee in which all of the confederate vessels were sunk or grounded.

On December 12 1862, the ironclad was leading a small group of vessels clearing Confederate naval mines just north of Vicksburg near Haines Bluff and began taking shore fire from small arms along the bank. As Captain Selfridge ordered his vessel to close with the shoreline two Confederate sailors, Acting Masters Zedekiah McDaniel and Francis M. Ewing, hid behind a river bank and waited as the Cairo came into range of their mines.

The mines (referred to as torpedoes at the time) were homemade contraptions made from 5-gallon glass bottles filled with some forty pounds of black powder and attached to a wooden float anchored to the bottom of the river. Copper wires lead to a galvanic cell on shore where the confederate volunteers waited. The Cairo was rocked by two explosions in quick succession which tore gaping holes in the ship's hull. Within twelve minutes the ironclad sank into six (6) fathoms (36 feet) of water in the Yazoo River without any loss of life. Cairo became the first ship in history to be sunk by an electrically detonated torpedo.

Discovered in 1956 buried under an accumulation of river silt the Cairo was eventually raised and installed as a part of the Vicksburg Military Park in 1977 where it can now be seen by the public. Its cannon are the only actual period pieces found in the entire park, the rest being reproductions. Its steam plant is also considered the best preserved of its type in the world.

More history and pictures at this site...

http://www.civilwaralbum.com/cairo/index.htm

Staupostek

Feb 10, 2008
Wilmore, Kentucky
I have been down there a couple of times (had a gr-gr-great grandfather there during the war) and think it is a beautiful place. It seems a lot less crowded than Gettysburg and some of the other civil war sites I have been too. If you ever get down that way, pay to take the driving tour of the park.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing, I hope to visit someday.

Fossis................

OP
OP
shanegalang

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Riverrat......Thank you so much for the article. It sure summed it up alot better than I could have.......or would have had the patience to. I could talk about the visit there for days and not tire. Its awesome and I will be going back! Shane :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions