A Smokey Crystal Hunt

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Today Fossis and I, along with my wife and an old friend of Fossis', went to see if we could dig up some dark colored or "Smokey" crystals on some private land not far from where we hunted manganese a week ago.

After a beautiful drive along some very curvy and backwoods mountain roads, we pulled off and hiked a short ways into the woods along an old creek. Unfortunately the place had been pretty well worked over, and we didn't find any large specimens to bring out, but we did get some smaller ones. Mine are soaking in oxcylic acid to get off the cruddy deposits, but Fossis found a neat one that really didn't need soaking.

So I snapped a pic of that, and another pic of a gorgeous spot along the way. It was good to get out again, this has felt like a long winter to me and I was getting cabin fever pretty bad.

smokyquartz.jpg

SCvista.jpg

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
that is a beautiful picture of the woods.
what kind of crystals are in that piece ?

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
that is a beautiful picture of the woods.
what kind of crystals are in that piece ?

Some are clear Quartz, the 'Smoky color' comes fron natural radiation, or the presence of sodium, the yellow is probably minerals found in the clay in which they are found.

Fossis..............

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I saw some crystals similar to that in a cave in So. Dak. the guide said their crystals are the largest in the world.
I saw one that was at least 12 inches long and as big around as your wrist, she also told us that if we touch one we could be arrested and charged for damaging a protected form of crystal. they don't have to tell me twice. LOL

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
I saw some crystals similar to that in a cave in So. Dak. the guide said their crystals are the largest in the world.
I saw one that was at least 12 inches long and as big around as your wrist, she also told us that if we touch one we could be arrested and charged for damaging a protected form of crystal. they don't have to tell me twice. LOL

They had pic's in Rock & Gem magazine of crystals that were 'Hugh' they are only letting guided tours in, it is in the 'Niaca mine (Chihuahua Mexico) some 50 feet long, (seriously), they were massive, but they are a softer material, (Selenite).

Fossis..............

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
I sure appreciate ya'll casting those picture lures, I am circling, I may come in there and strike, be like catching a buffalo carp. Like the old saying, company is like fish, after a couple of days it stinks. Have a good day, Gnewt

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We don't think 'your company' would stink Gnewt. :-[

Fossis...............

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I'm not sure what the ones were made of up there but I remember they had a lake in the cave called milk lake

Sniffer

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
I'm not sure what the ones were made of up there but I remember they had a lake in the cave called milk lake

Sniffer
They were probably Quartz, if they claimed to be the largest.

Fossis...............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread