My homeplace

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Hello all.
Glad to find this site and hopefully I can contribute.
I live on a family homeplace dated from about 1888 or so. My great, grandfather built it after coming here from Tennasee to help establish a local resort area that was completed in 1898. The original homestead was a 7 room cabin that was dismantled to build the home I live in now which was completed in 1903.
There are several ruins and foundations on the property that I have found as well as the remnants of plowed land and cellars, wells and out buildings. So far I have found money, including a Morgan Dollar and a decent Buffalo nickel, buckles, shell casings, nails and horseshoes and finally...a flat iron which is very cool.
As it looks now.
003.jpg

As it looked in the 60s.
001.jpg

From around 1920 or possibly earlier.
Greatgrandmachickens.jpg

If I am not allowed to post from my Photobucket, delete them and let me know. I'll try to locate and upload from the PC. I have loads of pictures.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look good out there i bet there is more coins.

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I found the wheels on either side of the walkway. They were lying on their sides under maybe 3 inches of topsoil beside an old path in the woods behind the old cabin out back. Steel two piece tractor wheels.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your so lucky to live there and still have it in your own family.. I love it..boy, you can metal detect for yearssssssssss there.. I think its beautifulllllllll

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I would need a detector for that.
I found the Buffalo nickel while washing the dog. I laid the hose down and the water dug a hole and it sort of flipped out of it. I found the Morgan in a jar in the rafters in my attic.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love old home sites like this...you never run out of finding "treasures" in the ground.

;) RR

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Net, you have a treasure already with that old homeplace.

Fossis.............

Wicked Wanda

Feb 29, 2008
Apple Valley, CA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Ace 250 , & Pro Pointer
Love the homestead,it's beautiful. Welcome, is there a crawl space to check out under the house? That place is simply amazing. HH :)

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
thank you for sharing your home, really like the ol bed frame out there. Hope you continue to find treasures with your memories

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I love old family homesteads.....Looks like there is a lot of potential there for some great finds. If you do not own a detector,maybe you could hook up with someone from here who has a couple of machines and would be willing to come and hunt with you.

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net and those sound like great finds by the looks of your homeplace (great pics) you will have a ton of fun for ever hunting this place!

Keep posting your finds for us! And congrats!

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6
I like your place a lot.

You should plant some flowers in the bottom of that bed frame.

It would make a great flower bed.

HH

sparkymaster

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Gypsyheart said:
I love old family homesteads.....Looks like there is a lot of potential there for some great finds. If you do not own a detector,maybe you could hook up with someone from here who has a couple of machines and would be willing to come and hunt with you.

agreed! It would make me nuts living there with no way to detect around there! Grab a metal detecting buddy if you don't want to go get one of your own! I am sure there are many that would be willing to loan you a detector for permission to hunt with you! Good luck and happy hunting on that incredible place of yours!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet! What a nice old homestead to detect...dig up everything, coins hide around trash. :-X

OP
OP
GL

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
I live in Moore County NC.
Sherman marched through here in 1865, there were battles and even Revolutionary skirmishes in the area. Something about Torries and Whigs at the House in The Horseshoe about 10 miles from here. I have so many places in mind I would like to search in. I thought hunting arrowheads was addictive, metal detecting might consume me. That reminds me, I need to post my Indian rock collection.

Everything I have found was dug by hand with my eyes and listening for metallic sounds with the digging spade. I have been trolling this site for a several hours now and I don't see me making it much longer without a detector. I pretty much NEED one now, thanks for encouraging a new addiction!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread