Early Bday, Wow! I never expected 123 pictures. Trail camera.

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Re: Early B'day, Wow! I never expected 123 pictures. Trail camera.

That is an awesome Buck! I hope no one shoots it, he deserves to survive longer.

I do spead it out some, there is some in the back yard too. There are only 14 around that we have been watching all winter. They cover a 5 mile area. They travel together or in packs of 3, so I am guessing they have been swapping spit for a while now. (dang where is that wink!)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

snagglepuss.jpg

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

that's a great gift, I just got my husband one for our anniversary, I gave it to him yesterday and he is going to the ranch today and can't wait to try it out!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I sow rape seed and buckwheat along our back plot in a "santuary" area. Too close to houses to hunt but far enough to (hopefully) keep them less interested in our garden. And we have two attack Naragansett turkeys, Fred & Wilma, who did a good job this year yelling at intruders.

Here's the info from the NYS DEC on deer feeding. I was told leaving the tops of young poplar and maple when thinning them out was a good practice for the deer so I lopped them by hand rather than brushhogging them. They did visit the piles (bunnies, too).

Deer Feeding Regulations
What are the restrictions on deer feeding?

Part 189 of Title 6 of the Codes, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York was adopted on July 30, 2003. Part of this rule restricts the feeding of deer.

In New York, it is illegal to feed deer by putting out any material that attracts deer to feed.

There are five exceptions to the rule:

1. Agricultural crops including wildlife food plots.
2. Distribution of food to livestock.
3. Distribution of food to captive deer.
4. Cutting of trees and brush.
5. Scientific research, wildlife damage abatement, and wildlife population
reduction programs, but only under a permit issued by DEC.

Why did DEC place restrictions on deer feeding?

The rule was issued in response to the threat of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) being introduced into New York. The nature of CWD requires prompt and extraordinary actions to address the threat posed by this disease. The purpose of this rule is to prevent the introduction of this disease into New York, to restrict those activities that may increase the risk of the development or spread of CWD in New York and to protect the health of wild white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) in New York.

Feeding deer artificially concentrates them in one location for extended periods of time. CWD is most likely transmitted from deer to deer by direct contact between animals, or indirectly through contact with waste food, urine, and feces that build up at feeding sites, although the exact transmittal mechanism is currently unknown. Although CWD has not been found in New York, this measure is a precaution to help prevent the spread of CWD if it already exists in the state, or if it is introduced later. The incubation period for CWD can be three years or longer, and an outbreak among white-tailed deer at feeding sites could spread the disease before clinically-ill individuals are observed. This would greatly hamper efforts to control the disease. Other diseases, such as Bovine Tuberculosis, can also be spread quickly at feeding sites, where animals are in close contact with each other and with waste products every day.

Another risk associated with deer feeding is the possibility that the infectious agent of CWD could be present in commercial feeds. Some commercial livestock feed may be produced using rendered animal parts, which could contain the infectious agent. If the agent is present in these foods it could infect any deer that eats the food. Federal regulations in effect since 1997 require feeds containing mammalian protein to be labeled to prohibit them from being fed to any ruminants, including deer and elk. The DEC regulation mirrors this restriction to call attention to the special risk associated with misuse of feeds not intended for ruminants.

Isn't feeding good for the deer population?

Feeding can cause more deer to survive than the natural habitat can support, which can lead to long term degradation of the natural habitat. Deer being artificially fed also consume natural food in the adjoining area. With deer concentrated at feeding sites, the surrounding natural habitat can be severely overbrowsed. The browse plants can be damaged so that they produce smaller quantities of browse for many years, or can be completely eliminated. The result is a habitat that supports fewer deer, and a deer population that is dependant on artificial feeding. Feeding is often done in open areas where deer are exposed to cold winds, causing them to lose valuable body heat and requiring them to consume even more calories to stay warm.

In addition, some deer foods used by people can be detrimental because they do not meet the nutritional requirements of deer in winter. Deer are ruminants similar to a cow and have a multi-chambered stomach, with a more complicated digestive process. If food types are suddenly changed, it can take considerable time for the digestive process to adapt to the new food, during which time the animal receives little nutrition when it needs it most.

Deer feeding can also increase the number of deer-vehicle collisions if done near highways or increase nuisance problems if carried out near residences, orchards, nurseries and other agricultural operations.

Won't a lot of deer starve if we have a severe winter with no feeding?

Yes, some deer will starve at traditional feeding sites because the population is artificially above the carrying capacity of the winter habitat. Moreover the winter habitat surrounding the feeding site may be damaged from overbrowsing. If feeding is curtailed, some deer at traditional feeding sites will shift activity patterns to take advantage of better winter cover than that which existed at the feeding site. After several years with no deer feeding the deer population will again be in balance with the natural habitat. It is normal for some deer to starve during severe winters in northern forests, leaving the stronger deer to reproduce. Some young deer simply do not reach adequate body size and physical condition to survive average winter conditions. However, deer populations can recover following milder winters.

Aren't deer concentrated in winter yards naturally?

Deer concentration in winter yards is considered a natural behavior. The risk of disease transmission is lower in winter yards than at artificial feeding sites because feeding is dispersed, and the food is consumed and not replaced. At artificial feeding sites deer are in closer contact, and the food is replaced at the same location repeatedly, increasing the likelihood of direct contact between animals and more concentrated contamination of the ground with feces and urine.

What is the penalty for violating the feeding regulation?

The penalty for illegally feeding deer is a violation punishable by a fine of up to $250 and 15 days in jail for each day of the offense. Multiple offenses may result in the revocation of hunting, fishing and/or trapping privileges for up to five years.

Can other wildlife, like songbirds, still be fed?

Yes, if deer are not attracted to the food, or it is inaccessible to deer.

What can legally be done to help deer through the winter?

Cutting trees and brush in deer winter yards makes the browse in the tops of the trees or brush accessible to deer. This browse is the food deer are adapted to eat in the winter. This cutting can only be done on private land with the permission of the landowner. It cannot be done on state forest preserve land, and requires permits on other state lands. The landowner can use the trunks of the trees for firewood or timber, leaving the tops for deer to eat. Anyone interested in providing browse to deer by cutting trees or brush should contact their regional DEC deer biologist for suggestions on tree species and quantities.

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter

Congrats on the new cam. Looks like you've got a nice crowd. Now the conundrum, which pics to keep.

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

EDDE :angel12:

Thanks for the info Charlie.

Excavator :-[ I kept them all! Thanks! I will probably pick and choose from last nights, but being my first set, I had to keep them all. Yes I can be a pack rat! :D

MangoKnees

Nov 22, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm l l

CountryGirl,

I just got back from WalMart with one. I wanted 2 but they only had one. I'll try and get you a commission when I get the second one next week.

I'm going to use mine for a little security and we have wildlife so this will be fun.

I'll post some pictures soon I hope.

Thanks again for that great post and my peace of mind.

MangoKnees

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Mango that is too cool! Congratulations! Can't wait to see what you get.

I just hope you have a SD card, 1.0 should be the best, Rite aid has those on sale 49.99 card for 19.99, I bought 2. Just swap it out, didn't want to miss anything while I was downloading pictures! :D

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

I'd like to get one of those and see who's been getting into the trash....dog? possum? raccoon? neighbor kid?

au4me

Mar 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whatever get"s the job done

Happy Birthday Country Girl. :D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well I am sure impressed and the price you paid SUPER!!! It was only over a year ago that I stumbled across one in the woods and that was the first time I ever saw a trail camera and first I ever even knew they existed. LOL. I am sure I was not on that camera, since luckily I saw it as I was approaching it from behind. Whoever owned it had it chained to the tree somehow. It was public land, so you know someone would rip it off if they could.

Now, bring on the Coyotes,Raccoons, Fishers, ole Pork e pines :) Just so no streakers go by....................................... :icon_jokercolor:

Don

MangoKnees

Nov 22, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm l l

Country Girl, I'm all setup. 3 pics at a time. I tested it too. The SD cards were on sale at Walmart too so I picked up one 2meg for $24 and I have a 1meg to swap out.

The pictures I looked at using it in handheld mode were great too. I also set it up and waited for the wife to come from the kitchen. It took 3 nice shots but she made me delete them....HaHaHa. We'll see if I get a nice surprise overnight like you did.

I'm hoping
Mango

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Thank Scott, not until 4-6, but I couldn't wait! :D Spoiled, I know. :icon_queen:

Don, bring them on!

Mango, I can't wait to see. Good luck!

69 more pic's last night just downloading them now. SWEET!

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Ahhhhh she is tooooooo cute, just a little one. :)

Attachments

• Little deer.JPG
    Little deer.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 327

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh all the pics are great I wish I had a place to get some good shots, keep them comming :thumbsup:

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow! Cool Pics! Maybe some other critters will show up too!

Just like Charlie said though, having the feed in a trough like that encourages the spread of chronic wasting disease and bovine tuberculosis. If these diseases aren't in your area then you're not hurting anything, but if there are all it takes is one infected animal at that trough to spread it to most if not all animals that eat there.

I'd suggest springing for a automatic feeder. A decent one can be had for $100 to $175 with a tripod, or there are models that can be hung from a limb that cost even less.Most of them have timers that can be set to when the feeder runs, and how long it runs for.
Also, the deer learn what time the feeder operates. It generates a pavlovian response and they'll come charging into the area like maniacs when they hear it run!!!

-SgtSki

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500

CountryGirl,
Supe idea, and great pic's. I think I spotted one deer eating twice. Might have to hand out numbers to them lol
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread