my stomping grounds

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first European settlement in Pa...then called New Sweden now known as Essington,Tinicum Township

photos of Johan Printz first Governor of New Sweden,in the backround is the Delaware river....the trees in the center is Little Tinicum Island and the tree line in the backround is the shores of New Jersey...British ships were anchored here during the Revolutionary war..other pics are of Boeing Helicopters,The Lagoon nightclub(once the world famous Walbers on the Delaware),the Comodore John Barry bridge and who knew writing your name in wet cement was popular in 1959 LOL

Attachments

• 100_0326.JPG
    100_0326.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 346
  • 100_0333.JPG
    100_0333.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 100_0332.JPG
    100_0332.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 284
  • 100_0331.JPG
    100_0331.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 328
  • 100_0330.JPG
    100_0330.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 324
  • 100_0329.JPG
    100_0329.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 350
  • 100_0328.JPG
    100_0328.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 323
  • 100_0327.JPG
    100_0327.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 326
OP
OP
F

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about 300 yards from the Printz monument is the Lazoretto...also called Philadelphia's Ellis Island....In 1799 the main structure was built and used as a quarentine station in responce to the yellow fever outbreak of 1793.
Before it was a quarantine station, it was part of the 1643 Swedish settlement, the first permanent European settlement in Pennsylvania. It is also the story of the Lenni Lenape who lived here before the Swedes, and was later a seaplane base (the first in PA and one of the first in the whole U.S.) in the earliest days of aviation.

By some estimates, as many as 1 out of 3 Americans today are descended from those whose first exposure to the New World was here.

Attachments

• 100_0335.JPG
    100_0335.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 281
  • 100_0334.JPG
    100_0334.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 409
  • 100_0336.JPG
    100_0336.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 282

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
We used to drink in Daubers and get the beer from the T.I. before they put in the Lagoon. Have you seen many other MDers at Printz Park? I read a post on another site from someone MDing there. I always thought the island would be cool for the Printz plantation. I believe I read he willed the land to his daughter who worked the land and eventually she eventually gave the land to the state. There is a lot of history in your area! Good luck!

OP
OP
F

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CanUDigIt said:
We used to drink in Daubers and get the beer from the T.I. before they put in the Lagoon. Have you seen many other MDers at Printz Park? I read a post on another site from someone MDing there. I always thought the island would be cool for the Printz plantation. I believe I read he willed the land to his daughter who worked the land and eventually she eventually gave the land to the state. There is a lot of history in your area! Good luck!

I've never actually seen anyone there but have heard of people being there.Far as I know its on the national historic register so that makes it a no-no....back in the days of Johan,Tinicum actually was an island but as time went by they filled in all the marshland making it part of the mainland.The island in the middle of the river I've never been able to find a lot of info on it....it is now part of the John Heintz wildlife refuge altho it seems that is just a title..from what I see they pay it no nevermind and is used occasionally by waterfowl hunters and party goers

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
fyrfighter17 said:
CanUDigIt said:

I've never actually seen anyone there but have heard of people being there.Far as I know its on the national historic register so that makes it a no-no....back in the days of Johan,Tinicum actually was an island but as time went by they filled in all the marshland making it part of the mainland.The island in the middle of the river I've never been able to find a lot of info on it....it is now part of the John Heintz wildlife refuge altho it seems that is just a title..from what I see they pay it no nevermind and is used occasionally by waterfowl hunters and party goers

cool pictures! i am actually pretty local to you. i live in Delaware and work in Chester pa. hit me up if you feel like doing a hunt sometime. :wink:

OP
OP
F

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool pictures! i am actually pretty local to you. i live in Delaware and work in Chester pa. hit me up if you feel like doing a hunt sometime. :wink:
[/quote]

Thanks Hollow I live about a 2 miles from Harrahs right near 420

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Hey hollow, Have you ever checked out the "Hook". I used to play hockey off 322 and remember that there was a bit of history there. Can't recall much, just some old homestead before the indutrial stuff popped up.

leslie(nova scotia)

Silver Member
Sep 22, 2006
lower sackville,nova scotia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garretts only
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yo Fyrfighter17

From the land ofthe Bluenose.....looks like a nice area and thanks for the history lesson. Was wondering where all our geese went. Man they are messy birds four shore!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions