d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I aint gonna make a pet out of him but I am gonna make patty's out of him, sausage pattys :D...d2

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
If you start now and average one a month, you will be in good shape to stock up for the winter. Just my thinking. I never shot a pig or know how much of each you get from one pig.

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The one in the picture would probably make 75-80 lbs of sausage maybe a little more. The wild ones never get fat...d2

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
the cross bread ones arent so bad (tough meat) when i lived in VT they had bountys on them in NH I had my lot smoked in hickory n honey they were delish
could have done it myself but it was worth it to dress em an send em to the smoke house n butcher back a few years it cost me 1.65 LB
best start washing out that 50gal barrel to heat the water to clean that hair off

Magic Fingers

TreasureTales said:
Wild pork sausage....yum!

Maybe you could open your place up to hog hunting guides, they pay you to take hog hunters onto your land and you also get a few hogs killed off.

Or you could have a TNet members only hog hunt. I've got a nice 270 Ruger rifle that should do the job. :wink:

I am about out of bacon. Can I come...lol...I have an SKS Russian.
I can't picture that meat tasting too good! ::)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let me know if you need any help ::) I'd be glad to give a couple of them a ride back to Harpers Ferry!!!

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Man, d2, That is one evil looking dog you've got there in the background. It looks like it could stare one of those hogs into the trap. One of my old neighbors was a Missouri boy and he told me the way they could tell a good eatin' one from a bad un' was you straddled it and picked it up by the ears. If the back end went down it was good but if the head end went down you made sausage.

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Time for a Pig Pickin'. :D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
silverswede said:
...One of my old neighbors was a Missouri boy and he told me the way they could tell a good eatin' one from a bad un' was you straddled it and picked it up by the ears. If the back end went down it was good but if the head end went down you made sausage.

If you try this - take some movies of it! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Him being a boar and not a bar doesnt mean you cant eat him it just means he is gonna smell bad while he is cooking. I know y'all have been cooking bacon befor and it smelled a little stronger than normal, that was boar hog bacon. It tasted normal just smelled loud. That is the way this hog would be. He would be OK for an outside BBQ but you probably couldnt stay in the house while cooking this one on the stove. While we were decideing what to do with him I thought of a friend who was wanting one and called him. He showed up and said what do you want for him? I told him I had close to a hundred bucks in corn and gas from setting and running hogs pens. He gave me a C-note and I toted the hog to his place and put it in his pen. It was a good day. We usually skin the ones the dogs have bayed but if we feed some out we scauled them. Maybe I will catch some more tonite...d2

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on the others, we have 'been invaded', they are all over the country here, even see them on the hwy dead.
Local ranchers have people trying to kill & trap them, they say they are all the way to 'Canada'.

Fossis...............

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We usually skin the ones the dogs have bayed but if we feed some out we scauled them. Maybe I will catch some more tonite...d2
[/quote]

What is the difference between the two and why do you prepare them differently, if you don't mind my asking. Here I am a country girl and I don't have a clue!

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If we are useing dogs sometimes the hunt will last most of the day and we dont have time to scauled 'em. When we scauled and scrape 'em we have time to build a fire, heat water etc. Thats the only reason. I hate coming in from a hunt, tired, muddy, and then have to get everything ready to do it the old fashioned way. If I build a smoke house this summer like I want to, we are gonna bring 'em home and feed the hogs out for a while and see about smoking them, if we can keep 'em lit :D...d2

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive smoked a few hogs legs back in the day :angel4:

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureTales said:
Wild pork sausage....yum!

Maybe you could open your place up to hog hunting guides, they pay you to take hog hunters onto your land and you also get a few hogs killed off.

Or you could have a TNet members only hog hunt. I've got a nice 270 Ruger rifle that should do the job. :wink:

TT...now why am I not surprised you got yourself a nice 270? :thumbsup: California definitely needs more people that think and act like you do!!
I've never had wild boar, but have heard they are good eating if prepped right and the sausage sounds good. With all those running around your property D2 your freezer should be well stocked by next winter.

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Are those wild or are they new generations from escapees from farms? (sorry City boy here never saw one in the wild)

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread