I am gaining a little ground on my hog problem

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
My Brothers-in-law pay about $1500 each to hunt those guys.

There's an island on the Ohio River, now a historical park. When I was a teenager, we would swim over and explore the island. In most places the weeds were over our heads. The older folks told us to stay away from there because of the hogs running hog wild. One day we came face to face with three of those hogs, all I saw was hair and big teeth. The hogs ran one direction and we ran the other, straight through a long patch of stinging nettles, in our swimming clothes, (shorts/no shirt). We were stung all over and sat neck deep in the river for at least two hours before we could stand being out in the air.

I think the hogs are long gone now, but the island is still a haven for deer and birds, even had an Eagle nesting there until she got tired of the cameras.

Wish I'd been into MD'ing back then! The finds would've been endless.

Good luck and be careful, you don't want PO one of the big ones.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I like sausage so I better get involved in this thread!

another one bites the dust was by the faqqy Freddie Mercury with Queen.
good song...
bad person... and it killed him!

...Could probably google hogzilla for the 1200lb boar that was shot on a game ranch.
It was HUGE!

Pig hunting with a pistol??? NOT ME !!!!
or for defense? Ha!

I once shot a feral pig for dinner... He was a little guy... MAYBE 20-25lbs tops.
Range was about 50 -60 ft at most.
Three poorly placed hits with 240gr jacketed hollowpoint .44 magnums, loaded hot, and the little guy was STILL doing his absolute best to get ME in revenge for the mess I made out of him. I had walked up on him, firing successively after the first hit, and my last shot was at maybe 6ft into the top of his head while he was STILL motivating to get ME!

Point being, with all that above messiness, I'll use a rifle next time I hunt pigs! <<<FEAR>>>

And I have not a clue how someone that was NOT a superb quickdraw artist with absolutely perfect aim could defend themself in brush against a pig that was upset with them!

MOF, I'd prefer an ingram if I HAD to be in that situation!

rmptr

T

trish76642

Did any of yall ever hear about his story?
Hogzilla?
An 11-year-old Alabama boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog that just may be the biggest pig ever found.
Jamison Stone's father says the hog his son killed weighed a 1,051 pounds and measured 9-feet-4 from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail. Think hams as big as car tires.
If the claims are accurate, Jamison's trophy boar would be bigger than Hogzilla, the famed wild hog that grew to seemingly mythical proportions after being killed in south Georgia in 2004.
Hogzilla originally was thought to weigh 1,000 pounds and measure 12 feet in length. National Geographic experts who unearthed its remains believe the animal actually weighed about 800 pounds and was 8 feet long.
After seeing the pig in person, taxidermist Jerry Cunningham told The Anniston Star it was "the biggest thing I'd ever seen ... it's huge."

But then after all the head lines it made all over the country, At the time, it was thought it might be a contender for some kind of wild hog record. But Rhonda Blissitt and her husband recently came forward to say that the hog was actually a domesticated pig raised on their farm.

Attachments

• MonsterPig1.jpg
    MonsterPig1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 238

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I forget who the quote comes from, but it might fit here...

"People who love sausage, and respect the law, should not watch either one being made."

HH

BIGHEAD

Jan 5, 2008
Pensacola,Fla
Detector(s) used
,MXT 300, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My grandpa used to hunt hogs in N Alabama with bulldogs! you need to get you a couple of American standard Bulldogs (aka White English Bulldogs). My avatar is my buddy Jeb Stuart, American bulldog!!!! Great working dog ,loves kids and people and will body slam a hog! :thumbsup: If you do a web search they have a few videos on the net. anyway good luck and as grandpa used to say (be careful boy them hogs will hurt ya :icon_biggrin:) BIGHEAD

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I go with dogs, the guys that I hunt with, have Plotts and Catahoula's for baying the hog and a Bull dog to do the catching. They lost 3 dogs one day back in January. Sometimes the hogs are bad...d2

BIGHEAD

Jan 5, 2008
Pensacola,Fla
Detector(s) used
,MXT 300, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first time i went hog hunting i was told that i had to know how to do two things.......
1. be a good shot and hit what i shot at.
2. climb a tree real fast!!!! :icon_biggrin:
if you can't do number 1 you best be ready to do number 2!!!!!
BIGHEAD

T

trish76642

BIGHEAD said:
My grandpa used to hunt hogs in N Alabama with bulldogs! you need to get you a couple of American standard Bulldogs (aka White English Bulldogs). My avatar is my buddy Jeb Stuart, American bulldog!!!! Great working dog ,loves kids and people and will body slam a hog! :thumbsup: If you do a web search they have a few videos on the net. anyway good luck and as grandpa used to say (be careful boy them hogs will hurt ya :icon_biggrin:) BIGHEAD
My brother and his friend are avid hog hunters, they do it every chance they get, even put videos of their hog hunting on U-tube, next thing you know, sheriffs department is knocking on his door, saying Animal Rights Ativist had called in on them (from veiwing their videos, have no idea HOW they found out my brothers name more less where he lived!) the officer went on to say "man you dont wanna mess with those people some of em are crazy!" so they had to take their videos off of U-tube!

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Trish, some folks dont understand or want to understand how things are "outside of their world". Thats OK with me, just dont try and change things in mine because you dont think it's right. Next time we hog hunt I will post some pictures so the people that havent been or know how it's done can see it and like I said in an earlier post I will make as tasteful as possible so as not to offend anyone...d2

BIGHEAD

Jan 5, 2008
Pensacola,Fla
Detector(s) used
,MXT 300, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ain,t it weird how some groups think that they can stop people from doing things that they have done for hundreds of years just because they don't like it. I look at it this way i don't push my way of life down your throat so don't push yours down mine. i think some of these people are so miserable that they want to make every one else that way too!!! :angry4: just my opinion. BIGHEAD

T

trish76642

d2 said:
Trish, some folks dont understand or want to understand how things are "outside of their world". Thats OK with me, just dont try and change things in mine because you dont think it's right. Next time we hog hunt I will post some pictures so the people that havent been or know how it's done can see it and like I said in an earlier post I will make as tasteful as possible so as not to offend anyone...d2
Yes i agree, but the Deputy also said, they (ARA) were good at making death threats too, thats the other reason my brother took the videos off for the sake of his family...he still hog hunts, all the time, he just doesnt post it on U-Tube anymore....
One in every crowd isnt there, no matter what the topic is about...

T

trish76642

BIGHEAD said:
ain,t it weird how some groups think that they can stop people from doing things that they have done for hundreds of years just because they don't like it. I look at it this way i don't push my way of life down your throat so don't push yours down mine. i think some of these people are so miserable that they want to make every one else that way too!!! :angry4: just my opinion. BIGHEAD
I agree with that also Bighead....folks need to mind their own business!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread