d2, dont hogs eat snakes?

SouthArk

Mar 23, 2005
South-Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Detector Pro Pirate, Troy Shadow X-5, Fisher F75
d2, don't hogs eat snakes?

I ran across this pic on another website..... an Indian Relic site...... and thought I'd share it here for your hogs! This thing could ruin a day of relic hunting with one misplaced step! I ran up on one 4 years ago that was 5' 1/2", but the caption for this one said 9'1". Isn't this a Canebreak Rattler?

SouthArk

Attachments

• TexasRattler%25202.jpg
    TexasRattler%25202.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 380

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: d2, don't hogs eat snakes?

I dont think that's a cane brake, they usually have a rusty stripe down there back. I would guess timber or diamond back but I aint sure. And yes, hogs do eat snakes and turkey eggs and quail eggs and dead things like deer,coons and people. If there is a plus about having to many hogs is that they will eat snakes. But unlike me and you they kill and eat 'em all. King snakes taste like water moccasins to them. I dont kill king snakes but I do kill water moccasins and the ones that will hurt ya'. And that is a good one in your picture...d2

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Is that a photoshopped picture or a snake from another country? I've never seen any kind of rattlesnake more than 5 or 6 feet long and they are always really thin.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sara77 said:
Is that a photoshopped picture or a snake from another country? I've never seen any kind of rattlesnake more than 5 or 6 feet long and they are always really thin.

Can't say about that pic, but we have them in this part of the country up to about 7' long, I've seen one 6' 1", hanging from a road sign.

Fossis...........

T

trish76642

Omg! That thing is HUGE! He wouldnt have to bite me, i'd fall over dead right there! LOL
My Uncle was hog hunting in San Saba Tx one time and ran up on a rattle snake, his mouth was so big when he opened it you coulda placed a soda can upright in it! He killed it and brought it home for the skin, biggest snake i'd ever seen....
Course their all cobras to me!

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other

NO WAY!!!?? I didn't know they could get that big!! I think that one ate the hogs! Wonder if that guy ate the snake?

oldhermit34

Jun 21, 2007
columbus, ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 50

Look's like a Western Diamondback ( Crotalus atrox ). Never seen a Canebrake that large. Thanks

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

Thats a little feller there. Not far from here theres a town called Tow that only has a few buildings. Well last year a guy who ones one of them thought he had an animal or some kind rummaging around in it so he opened the door to see the largest rattle snake he'd ever seen and the story goes that he shot it and it weighed 95 lbs.
Now the biggest I have seen photos of was one just over 8 feet long, and theres a guy just out side of town that has a pet one that is about 7 and half feet long. As for your hog problem if you want help getting rid of them post an add in the paper or sell the opportunity to hunt them on ebay. Just make sure you get the lease license. This way you can make money while getting rid of the pesky critters.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I knew some people who lived near the headwaters of the Tippecanoe River just about half hour drive south from here. They told me a story about a woman who got bit by a Timber rattler in her driveway. Husband chopped off the snake's head, showed it to her, she refused to believe it was a rattlesnake. Husband forced her into the car, to the hospital, she protested all the way.

Then I know a person who was at a Tippecanoe Battle Rendezvous. From what I understand during the hours the public is there everything must be kept strictly time period as for gear. After hours he put his cooler outside by a wood pile. Getting up in the morning without his glasses on, noticed something by the cooler. Starting to bend toward it, moving his hand to reach down, heard a shooosh shooosh shooosh. Went back got his glasses, by this time others were standing around teasing him about the Timber rattler. The DNR came out and didn't kill it but moved the snake to another location. A similar incident happened during a previous Tippecanoe Rendezvous, to one of the guys doing the teasing. Twice now Timber rattlers have been encountered during Rendezvous for Tippecanoe.

Check this link out, the Canebrake rattlesnake is the Timber rattler, A.K.A. Banded rattlesnake.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_horridus

Your rattlesnake must be a Diamondback rattler.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread