Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that the males of other poisonous spiders usually have a much narrower abdomen, compared to the female.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wazonme said:
The daddy long legs is the most poisonous spider but they say our skin is too tough for their small teeth to penetrate :icon_study:
i like brownies ::)

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
wazonme said:
The daddy long legs is the most poisonous spider but they say our skin is too tough for their small teeth to penetrate :icon_study:

from... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pholcidae

Most venomous?
There is an urban legend stating that daddy long-legs spiders have the most potent venom of any spider, but that their chelicera (fangs) are either too small or too weak to puncture human skin; the same legend is also repeated of the harvestman and crane fly, also called "daddy long-legs" in some locales. Indeed, pholcid spiders do have a short fang structure (called uncate). However, brown recluse spiders also have uncate fang structure, but are able to deliver medically significant bites. Either pholcid venom is not toxic to humans or there is a musculature difference between the two arachnids, with recluses, being hunting spiders, possessing stronger muscles for fang penetration. [1]
In 2004, the Discovery Channel show MythBusters set out to test the daddy long-legs myth (season 1, episode 13 "Buried in Concrete"). After measuring the spider's fangs at approximately 0.25 mm (average human skin thickness varies from about 0.5mm to 4mm), the show's host was apparently bitten, although the bite produced little more than a mild short-lived burning sensation. This appears to confirm the suspicion that pholcids can penetrate human skin, but that their venom is practically harmless to humans. Additionally, recent research by Alan Van Dyke has shown that pholcid venom is actually relatively weak in its effects on insects as well[5].
According to the University of California at Riverside, the daddy long-legs spider has never harmed a human and there is no proof that they are poisonous to humans.[6]

One reason why these spiders are said to be so dangerous could be that they regularly prey on other spiders, including the black widow (Latrodectus spp.), which itself can be dangerous to humans, with the reasoning that the preying spider must be even more venomous. (Pinto-da-Rocha et al. 2007:4)

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
Not even close, Had to learn to spot widows in my greenhouse. Widows have very pronounced abdomens. They usally fall to the ground and curl up when nest is disturbed. Widows can also be brown in color. Female much bigger than male.

Hank

Oct 25, 2004
Charlotte,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, BH, Tesoro, et al
gametalman52 said:
Not even close, Had to learn to spot widows in my greenhouse. Widows have very pronounced abdomens. They usally fall to the ground and curl up when nest is disturbed. Widows can also be brown in color. Female much bigger than male.

Agreed. It's not even a 'false' black widow. And, to another writer BWs are NOT aggressive, are very shy, rarely bite, and then only in self defense. The danger is in their fecundity and love of dark, damp places.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe your spider is a genus of the "redback" spider.

It's not a black widow.

When identifying a black widow - no matter what sex or age, always remember "round, shiney hiney". We had black widows in Az, and we seem to have tons of them here, too.

And, black widows will make their nests where ever they please. Over our horse trailer door was their most favorite place.

B

Attachments

• redback4.jpg
    redback4.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 681
  • black widow.jpg
    black widow.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 679

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Oh yea - I squash them, too - and kill their babies, just as they hatch.

:thumbsup:

B

LOL..Charlotte and Wilbur would not be happy to hear this..

Attachments

• charlottes%20web.jpg
    charlottes%20web.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 678
M

MiniMe

Ok...now I feel itchy and sick....just looking at those things make me squeamish. You should see my daughter when she sees a spider, she immediately grabs her neck and starts screaming. :D :D - like they're vampires or something...they're going for her throat, LOL.

Definitely would find a big boot to step on all of them. Yuck yuck yuck.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps it is a black widow on a diet, hence the slenderness. I would have to say that it is one.

Rattler0216

May 30, 2008
That is a male black widow and they aren't quite as venomous as the females. Also more people have died due to the anti-venom than the bite itself. Lots of people tend to have allergic reactions to the anti-venom.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
As a reminder to all you Do-It-Yourself fixer-uppers:

We tell ourWater Meter Readers to be very careful reaching into meter boxes. It is quite common to find a couple of them in there. Keep that in mind next time you try and cut off (or on) your water with a wrnech when you can't find the meter key! :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread