Flower Seed Tape (Updated-Before and After)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, this is the first time I am trying those seed tapes, this is supposed to be a butterfly and hummingbird garden this year and hoping the seed tapes are successful.
Has anybody ever tried these before and if so, successfully or not?

Included a photo taken last evening, as I sat down for dinner, I saw out of the corner of my eye a hen Turkey strolling across the lawn, I quickly grabbed the camera but she was camera shy. :)

Don

Attachments

• FlowerSeedTape1.jpg
    FlowerSeedTape1.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 386
  • FlowerSeedTape2.jpg
    FlowerSeedTape2.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 363
  • HenTurkeyInYard2.jpg
    HenTurkeyInYard2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 364

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Re: Flower Seed Tape (Green/Blue Thumb?)

Ive seen those seed tapes work several times.

Good luck with the planting.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

I have not tried the seed tapes but looking forward to seeing how yours turn out! That looks like it is gonna be a nice lil bed there and the turkey is a cutie as well!

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

HA! You got her! Most of the time they're gone by the time you get the camera, perfect!

Seed tape? Never tried it, are they an annual? If so that should work out nicely. Let us know, I may get some. Good luck! :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On April 17th I "planted" two sets of flower seed tapes in my raised brick garden. At the end of June the flowers are finally starting to bloom with some regularity and at first I was disappointed in the length of time it seemed to get results, but now that they are starting to bloom I can say I am somewhat happy with the results.

However, for the amount of money spent on the tapes, I believe I could have done much better buying flats of flower plants already blooming and had an instant garden. So overall, I personally will most likely not do the seed tape planting again, and if I do, I will make my own seed tapes with newspaper and flour/water mixture and buy the seed packets and all will cost 1/5th the price.

I believe it was around $40 or so for these seed tapes, just not worth that much in my opinion.

Here is the before and after photograph and a closeup or two of some of the flowers.

Don

Attachments

• FlowerSeedTapeBeforeAfter.jpg
    FlowerSeedTapeBeforeAfter.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 295
  • flower.jpg
    flower.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 275
  • RedWhatever.jpg
    RedWhatever.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 273

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
They did turn out beautiful! I am with you though, for the cost I would do my own tapes. Thanks for sharing the process with us! :icon_sunny:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They turned out beautiful, but, I will go along with the cost is to much and maybe next year opt for homemade. Tey still are pretty! :icon_sunny:

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Don....the tape sure turned out some pretty flowers, They really look great. I'd love to try it but I don't have and "formal" areas in my yard. Everything is....well.....wherever I decided at the time to put them. :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wesfrye53 said:
Don....the tape sure turned out some pretty flowers, They really look great. I'd love to try it but I don't have and "formal" areas in my yard. Everything is....well.....wherever I decided at the time to put them. :icon_sunny:

LOL, my formal area was built for tomato and pepper plants, but over the years it ended up just being a tomato patch and the plants grew so tall that they blocked the view of our side property looking down towards the pond, so this year decided to forego the tomato plants for shorter flower garden. But darn if a lot of the flowers got too tall anyway. :)

Overall we are satisfied with the results and actually the flowers are getting better each day, but still, I think we could have done better, cheaper. These were seed tapes we bought thru QVC and including shipping costs, just too expensive in our opinion.

You can make your own with newspaper strips, flour glue, and of course seeds of your choice from packets.

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions