Not much...

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
But a little strange...Went out for a little hiking/detecting on a cool and damp day here...the only interesting things I came across was the quartz rock that caught my eye from quite a distance...of the literally miles of stone walls in the area I've been walking, this is one rock that looked totally out of place...I was able to move it...it wasn't embedded into the wall..but there was no treasure to be found..maybe I've just watched The Shawshank Redemption too many times...:wink:....my other "find" was an odd looking tree located next to a boundary marker...I'll leave the interpretation up to you.....unfortunately I wasn't able to detect around either area due to a "malfunction" of my detector earlier...ie..rock meets coil at high rate of swing.. :tard:...thanks for looking

Attachments

• wr.jpg
    wr.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 590
  • wrc.jpg
    wrc.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 588
  • tf.jpg
    tf.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 597
  • tf2.jpg
    tf2.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 589
  • tfc.jpg
    tfc.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 583

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was me i would dig deep under that rock you never know.........aa

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a place if I was there .... well go get another detector let us know! please! besides a great place like said above for a great walk! ;D

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
could that be white lime stone, copper? we have lots around here. you did find treasure. great pics! nice. bill

OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
flyinguy said:
could that be white lime stone, copper? we have lots around here. you did find treasure. great pics! nice. bill

No...hard to tell from the picture...but it's definitely quartz...I'll take another one when I bring in home next week... ;D

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As usual Awesome pictures Copperhead... boy git back there and see if theres any goodies buried... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that Quartz sitting on top of a large square or rectangular shaped flat rock?

flyinguy

Apr 27, 2008
central new york
Detector(s) used
2 compass coin pros
another pet rock collector! my wife steals mine and puts them in the garden. take your heavy crow bar and move the rock under it. maybe a treasure! oh yeah, they sell those tree faces in garden shops.

OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Red_desert said:
Is that Quartz sitting on top of a large square or rectangular shaped flat rock?

I guess you could say so...there was a bigger, kind of flat rock below both of them...more at ground level..

Attachments

• wfr.jpg
    wfr.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 478

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 'white rock' in the wall would catch a feller's eye allright.

nice pic's

Fossis.............

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copperhead said:
Red_desert said:

I guess you could say so...there was a bigger, kind of flat rock below both of them...more at ground level..

A cache hider might reason like this...and if that was meant to be some kind of marker, the two larger flat rocks would be harder to move and still easy enough to spot...just in case the white stone got moved by someone else. A marker would be somewhere in the general area of a cache.

Ryan1979

Mar 8, 2007
St. Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, ACE250
Hey Copperhead,

In the 3rd and 5th picture, what is that cast concrete tapered pole thing? I've seen some really old headstones that are just like that. Just wondering if that has any significance?

Ryan1979

OP
OP
Copperhead

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
MsPatriot said:
That was actually my next question - but this is an old thread so don't know if there will even be an update...all the same, I'm curious as to the background of the rock wall, what is it for, where is it, is there some obvious purpose or just a bizarre rock wall in the middle of the woods for no apparent reason? Maybe some info on the wall, who built it, why, etc. and the area itself might yield more clues as to the white rock and if it has any significance. And for the record, thanks to the other thread with all the animal rocks, in the 2nd photo of the close up of the white rock, the whole shape and groove looks like a gator head and the black spot an 'eye'...I'd be interested on principle in hearing some background on what this structure is all about, why miles of rock wall?

K, how's that sort of advice/suggestion from a noob whose only experience is TN forums? Grade me!

Thanks for your interest...unfortunately, nothing new to report...work and weather has been infringing on my hiking forays...I haven't yet returned to this site or any other for that matter... :(

In regards to your questions...While I don't have any specific information on this particular wall..here's some general info gathered from researching stone walls.... Forests in Connecticut, cover approx. 1.9 million acres or 60 percent of the state. Early settlers here cleared nearly three-fourths of the original forest for farming. Farm acreage peaked around 1850 in CT and has declined ever since... Forests have reclaimed much of the abandoned farmland. It's been estimated that in CT alone there is over 20,000 miles of stone fencing...Most of the older walls were built as property dividers, livestock and plant separators or just to get them out of the way for plowing fields...

A book by Robert Thorson, Stone by Stone, identifies the "golden age" of stonewalls in New England as between 1775 and 1825. Trees were cut for farming, home building, heating and charcoal. It is believed that stone became the economical alternative to wood for fence material. The end of the "golden age" of stonewalls around 1825 coincided with the completion of the Erie Canal that connected New York with the Great Lakes, making cheaper agricultural products from the Midwest more plentiful in New England markets.

As far as the rock goes...I'm inclined to agree with plehbah, that one wouldn't want to attract that much attention to a hiding spot...I still intend to go back and poke around so more.... I never did look on the other side of the wall where the rock was... :-\

You want a grade too?...I'll give you an "A"....for Asking.... :icon_study:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions