A Hyla versicolor on my canoe!!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I was staining some windows this morning and as I was taking a break, I walked past my canoe and was looking at how the pollen is just coating everything today, so I had to move the windows inside to finish staining, but when I looked at the canoe, there was this gray blob sitting on the gunwale.

A Northern Gray Treefrog,(scientific name Hyla versicolor) cool, they sing here from Spring to early fall and usually are in the trees and you do not spot them, but occasionally one will be on the side of the house, but that is rare. So I grabbed my camera and got some pics.

I believe he is all huddled up due to the temps being in the low 40's this morning. I tried picking him up, but I guess his suction cup feet were holding on tight, since he did not want to move, so I let him/her be.

Northern Gray Treefrogs are cool, in that they are Chameleon like. They can be gray, gray black or even a bright green! This one was in its normal color but I guess it was trying to match the aluminum of the canoe. If he moves to the nearby Liliacs I hope I see him, since he will then change to green and that would be nice to photograph..............

I included a couple photos of the pollen that has accumulated on my truck since last night, I would have thought the two inches of rain we had would have knocked down the pollen amounts, but I guess the trees are really just opening up now, so later on today it will be much worst, but more rain on the way so that will help.

Don

Attachments

• Northern Gray Treefrog1.jpg
    Northern Gray Treefrog1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 268
  • Northern Gray Treefrog2.jpg
    Northern Gray Treefrog2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 274
  • Northern Gray Treefrog5.jpg
    Northern Gray Treefrog5.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 270
  • pollen1.jpg
    pollen1.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 269
  • pollen2.jpg
    pollen2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 268

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
lol obviously he was very content right there on the canoe! Those pictures of the pollen on your truck make my eyes and nose start itching just looking at them! yikes!

bbqbull

Oct 31, 2006
Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X 70
Cynangyl said:
lol obviously he was very content right there on the canoe! Those pictures of the pollen on your truck make my eyes and nose start itching just looking at them! yikes!

Jeeze, I thought the pollen got thick here in Michigan.
I would be a mess with my nose running like a faucet and eyes watering like I was a cryin.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Don,

How ya doing Buddy?

The pic of the frog is great but you got my curiosity up regarding the "staining of windows"

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
That frog is cool, I hope we get to see him turn green too, neat! The pollen is nasty this year. We have a whole lot to try and keep clean. Get a car clean for delivery and an hour later it is yellow, black is the worst.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Don,

I'm pretty sure I have the same little critters that like to hang out under my skimmer covers on the pool. I'll probably open it in a week or two and then I'll check to see. When you mentioned "northern" it kinda threw me but if my memory isn't totally gone yet, I believe they may be the same species.

Blythe_Spirit_50

Apr 22, 2008
Kentucky
Very cute little guy. There is some kind of strange stuff on the sidewalks around here, looks like wet sand, maybe it is the pollen, as well, that dried like that after a heavy rain we had, never noticed it before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions