Jade Cove trailhead, CA coast.... Major disappointment!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
This was undoubtedly the nicest place we've been in a while, so I thought I'd send along a couple pics for you'all in Daily Snapshots since I enjoy all yours so much.

I posted more in Gems & Minerals, if you're interested in such things...

51408sur 047cz.JPG
This is the trailhead, right alongside the PCH. It's well marked, the trail is maintained, and a gentle slope... right to the EDGE!

51408sur 013z.JPG
And here is a portion of Jade Cove, looking a long way down from the VERY steep and treacherous cliff.

HH
rmptr

S

stefen

Climbed down that cliff in my college days and came back with some jade, mostly pebbles, however one was the size of a potato. Somewhere along the coast, and not too far from Jade Beach, was a local store / museum that had a boulder size lump (maybe 2' x 2' x 3') of grape jade that was very impressive.

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Hi Stefen,

Yup, my college days are long past! ;D

A hundred foot of rope would do it...

Problem is, nowhere in anything I read of the place advised me of the treacherous descent!

...I should have axed about it here, first!

HH
rmptr

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
So what was disappointing about that beautiful place? I love the huge rock standing solo and proud. Nice pictures. Did you find any stones?

S

stefen

At one time, as I recall, there was a trail, however, the entire coastal area is prone to landslides...

A lot can change in 30+ years...

Still have the jade stored somewhere in the garage in a baby food bottle...

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
OK...

Since this fine soapbox has been provided to me by Marc & others in good faith, I'll be honest and forthwith.

I DID find it necessary to send my kid down the cliff.

Well, he brought up green rocks for me, because I asked him to.
Sometimes he's a nice kid!

The green rock he carried up the cliff, from below the mean high tide, as stated on the govt sign, exhibits micaceous cleavage. :(

I believe it is muscovite.

However, I did find some small, bead sized jadeite pebbles at the Moonstone Beach in Cambria.

I'll see what I can do with them on my cabbing machine in the next few days.

You could write books about what I don't know about this!

HH
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread