New California Ghost Town of Orion Park

WilliamBoyd

Sep 22, 2007
California
Orion Park is one of California's newest ghost towns.
It is located at Moffett Field, a former Navy base near Mountain View, California.

The buildings were military housing built in 1968 and closed in 2006.
They are slated to be torn down and replaced with an Army headquarters.
Not many of California's ghost towns have buildings with satellite dishes and
rocket ships parked outside.

(August 2014)
Moved photographs to my website.

:)

Last edited:

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Great post,always enjoy seeing my tax dollars at work. If you get a chance could you hunt that tot lot,Ive always heard that military brats have plenty of cash to throw around.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yes, it did give me an erie feeling kinda like in a horror movie.....
Looks like a good place to explore and long as there's no knife we-ling or chain saw dude around.....

S

stefen

Spent a great deal of my career dealing with military base facilities and military family housing (especially Wherry housing) predominently Army and Air Force...

Do not trespass or get caught on any base without written permission from Base Command or Security...Federal offense...

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Great pics. Thanks for posting. I would love to see what is in the ground there. I hope you can get written permission to hunt it.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wandering around there alone I think I'd have this weird feeling that horse riding apes with rifles would suddenly appear from around the next corner! Kinda creepy :)

Cruisin

Jul 23, 2007
Where is Orion Park in relation to the blimp hangers? My Dad worked in the blimp hangers around that time & I used to take him to work & pick him up a lot. I just can't place the buildings - especially the tree lined streets. The photos have that spooky "Twilight Zone" look. Modern ghost towns are just not something you see in the US.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread