NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
If my friend could make it out to your neck o the woods, he would be happier than a pig in chit to take out a few thousand for ya. As long as we don't need licenses, special permits, and have a few captive sows that are in estrus. My friend is gun happy and hunts with 8mm Mauser..... is that too big of a gun, or can ya kill 'em with a Garrand? Would be even nicer, if the state would put a bounty on them for awhile. Proof would be " Mountain Oysters" :icon_jokercolor:

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We usually use .22 rifles or a handgun because when the dogs get 'em bayed you can get in real close. 3 weeks ago 2 of the 3 bay dogs got cut and the hog left befor we could get there. I got a .357 rifle that I figure is gonna be great medicine for the rotten outfits. As hot as it's been looks like we are gonna have to start hunting them at night. It gets a little scarier in the dark...d2

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I once took a 350lb. sow with 2 loads of '00' and 1 slug, from a remington 870 pump 30" full choke. My cousin and I were shooting doves on my uncle's collard green farm, just outside Memphis, near the Loosahatchie river bottoms. After we were done with the dove's, My uncle asked if we wanted to hunt some " BIG game"
Like dummies we said " SURE! " He pointed us toward the big ol mudhole in the middle of one of his fields and said, have at it...... We had to ask him what kind of big game? He said, mama pig as he was quickly retreating back to the house. We didn't have to go find her, she found us, then the race was on...... She was chasing us, found out later why, she had 8 youngun's out there with her, well we headed towards a stand of heavy trees, I used my cousin as bait, I was hiding behing big tree and when he ran past me, I opened up on that Ugly ol critter, caught her wrong with the Breneke slug (12 ga.) riccocheted off her noggin, but the '00' did the trick. When we dragged her back to the farmhouse, my uncle said, "why did you shoot her in da face?" I said 'cause she was chasing us! He said now he couldn't make Head Cheese...... Dumb old Italian Not GE

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son shot this one a few years back. The pig was on a dead run about 100 yards out. Got him with one shot from an 0-6. The armor on the opposite side from where the bullet went in kept the bullet from coming out the other side. When we skinned the pig, the bullet dropped to the ground.

Attachments

• pig.jpg
    pig.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 231
  • pig.jpg
    pig.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 237

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those hogs are some bloody though beasts! I know them to, from Sweden.

They are though rather shy here and you don't see them often. They hide deep in the woods and come out at night to eat. Our local farmers have had problems with them to.

They run in packs here to except for some big males they are more often alone.

We have many inland rivers and lakes, they love to be around the lakes.

I know a few years back I was on my way home and decided to take a shortcut though the woods which I know quite well around here.(I would be saving about 20 minutes on that)
So off I went, then as I was comming by a small hill I heard them, 2 or 3 I would think. (maybe with young ones to)
I saw some dark figures running around there to, among the trees.
The wind was coming towards me and I made sure to be quite and slowly move away hopefully they won't see me!! And they did not, I took another path to the paved road it's often a safer choice.

A few weeks later to I took the shortcut again and I was met by a older man in a car, not a farmer but he does own quite a bit of land around here and horses..
Anyways his dog did encounter one of the hogs, they had to bring him to a vet I know it was a small dog so if he did survive he was very lucky.

I did then decide to take the safe path to the paved road again, there I saw what had happened the tracks where very clear on the dirt road; you could easily tell where the hog had charged at the dog and at some places there where marks from the tusks of the hog.
I don't know if the dog survived though.

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I saw two this morning off the hiway and in the ditch. Now there aint but one of 'em ;D. Like Fossis said, they are almost as bad as fire ants...d2

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Them ol lady hogs sure are ornery when they are out weening their youngun's, eh?

OP
OP
d2

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, and when they go to poppin' their jaws and grunting cause you are getting to close it really sounds scary...d2

nadcarves

May 24, 2006
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Question about stopping power.. I have a good WW1 site to work. Woods,no partner, and heard there are hogs in the area..Figure a Colt 45 pistol, and eight clips..Do you use ball or hollow point? The site gave up an almost uncirculated type 1 1916 P quarter some 17 years ago..Silly Little character with me almost died when it was sold and I had two checks made out. Actually,may not make it,,,added a few years since the first Fisher T20 B came out to replace the Relco I had been using.A BFO bounced off a radio station.... :icon_jokercolor:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread